SI: "Raptors' future relies on Bargnani"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI: "Raptors' future relies on Bargnani"

"The kid is taking strides in the right direction," Raptors president Bryan Colangelo said. "But he needs to get to the point where he's 20 [points] and 10 [rebounds]. That's the complete product. Now, is it going to be 23 and 8, 24 and 7, whatever? He's far from complete, but he's proven he belongs here."
    "His greatest strength is his ability to get guys off balance, because they have to honor his shot so they're going to come out at him," Colangelo said. "I've told him, Just study Dirk Nowitzki. You don't want to be compared to him, that's fine. But study just how slowly he goes about things. He's very calm, he's always under control. He gets guys up then he puts the ball down. His first year, [Bargnani] was faking and not accomplishing anything with his fakes. He's got to be more patient. Take guys up, put the ball down, and then maybe pass."
    "He's got great confidence in himself, that's not the issue," Colangelo said. "He's got to become more of a complete player."
    Should Bosh stay, it will be a strong signal of his faith in a long-term frontcourt relationship with the 24-year-old Bargnani. "They're fluid players who are both capable of playing the '4' and the '5' positions," Colangelo said. "It's a nice mix."
    "His three-pointers are effortless the way he shoots it, and so you'd better be close to him," Triano said. "He helps Chris Bosh a lot because he drags a big guy away from the basket. They have to put a smaller quicker guy on Andrea, so '4s' will guard him, and that means Chris has a bigger guy and can use his quickness to get to the free-throw line. They complement each other very well."
    "Every time he would set a screen, teams would switch and put a little guy on him, and he still had a difficult time finding his way down in the block, and he'd get frustrated and push the guy off trying to finish," Raptors coach Jay Triano said. "That was the part of his game that he wanted to improve on, and it has helped us."
    "It was something completely new for me because, in Europe, I was just playing outside," Bargnani said. "I feel better with the right hand, of course, so I just do a couple of dribbles with the right hand and see what [the defender] does. I prefer to go for the hook to the middle, and if he blocks [the path], I try to shoot it. I always do one, two or three bounces to see the situation; I don't do something right away now."
    SI.com

i say the future relies on bargnani and derozan improving as well as bosh.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Notice how Colangelo is very touchy about how he refers to Dirk when talking about his conversations with Bargnani. Sounds like Bargnani does not like the comparison for some reason...

Comment

He has more physical tools than Dirk. i'm sure he will put it together at some point.

Comment

If he can come anywhere near the level Dirk is at then I'll be estatic.

Comment

SI: "Raptors' future relies on Bargnani"
            Yup, more so than any other. The road to improvement goes through Bargnani.
            nbaroundtable

Comment

He's going to keep improving bigtime, and he's already pretty good. When he bares down, his defence is excellent.

Comment

You can't really hang the future of the franchise label on any one player.

But for the Raptors to be good, Bargnani has to be good. Things are looking up!
                The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Dirk has a nicer looking haircut.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

no, he doesn't
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                    X