Stanley Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanley Cup

Anyone else watching the Canadians vs Flyers?
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Yes. and ... not to be picky, but ... it's the Canadiens. Or, if you prefer, Les Canadiens. (Tabern... )

Comment

It amazing how much better the nhl playoffs are compared to the nba (in terms of competitiveness).

Comment

agreed, this year the nhl playoffs are more entertaining than nba

Comment

im a leafs fan. i know life sucks! but for the sake of the nhl i hope its philly and chicago, im sure that will be good for the sport, and tv ratings

Comment

I am really rooting for a Finals between Montreal and Chicago, two of group of six teams that made up the league when I was a kid in the fifties.

For those two young to know.

The six were

Toronto
            Montreal
            Chicago
            Detroit
            Boston
            N.Y.
            Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

everyone knows the original six, the majority of the people who know about the original six weren't alive when they were around.

how bout the original original 4 back in the 20's
              hamilton, toronto, ottawa, and montreal
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                everyone knows the original six, the majority of the people who know about the original six weren't alive when they were around.

U R showing ur Canadian roots.

Ask today's American hockey fans and I bet not one in ten under 40 knows who they were.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post

You are correct about that except that originally there were only three teams that completed a full season and that was in 1918-19. Then Quebec was added as a 4th team in 1919-20. Hamilton replaced Quebec in 1920-21. That format lasted for only two seasons. In 1923-24 the league expanded to six teams. From there it eventually went up to ten teams before dropping to the six in 1942-43.

However note that all of those cities that were part of the six in 1942-43 were also part of the league from 1926-27 on.

In fact what is interesting is that all of the cities (8 cities and 10 teams) that were part of the league in 1926-27 are in the league now.

Detroit
                  Chicago
                  Boston
                  N.Y.
                  Pittsburgh
                  Ottawa
                  Montreal
                  Toronto
                  Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue May 25, 2010, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Everyone I know for wants Chi to win so go Flyers
                    Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

Working...
                    X