Where Can the Raptors Improve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Can the Raptors Improve?

Looking at the roster as it stands now, 3 of the 5 starting jobs are pretty much fixed:
    PF/C - Andrea Bargnani - I seriously doubt BC will think about trading his boy right when he seems poised to become consistently good
    SF - Hedo - BC will give Hedo another chance. And no matter what you think of his poor performance--this would be the worst time to trade him b/c it would be buying high (last yr), and selling low (now)--not the best market move
    G - DeRozan - This guy is expected to be the future, and isnt going anywhere.

So this leaves the PF (which is fixed if Bosh resigns), and the PG position.

PF - Resigning Bosh would clearly be the best move (though it leaves the starting unit pretty much as is). But I think a sign and trade that nets David Lee wouldnt be so bad -- it would provide a solid if unspectacular inside offensive presence, and will make up for Bargs less than stellar rebounding (I would argue Lee is a better rebounder than Bosh)

PG - This position is where real improvement can be made. The raptors are in a position of strength here for trade value. I think if BC can pry away Devin Harris from the Nets, this would be good. Harris' stock is low right now, but I think he still has potential to be really good. And the nets seem set to get John Wall. This option will be more viable after the draft lottery when we know if the nets pick no. 1. Other than this, what PG will give us production better than the two we have now?

In sum, I think we're pretty much stuck. Im looking for BC to pull some magic here. Thoughts?

I would trade all three if I could, throw Calderon and Belinelli in there with them. Trade Bargnani to GS for Monta Ellis, not the best defender but who cares when you can score 25+ per game. Trade Calderon and Belinelli to the Lakers for Bynum, Lakers need a pg and they have Gasol and Odom locked up. Trade Turk to SA for RJ, his stock has dropped but he can at least rebound and defend. Trade DeRozan 10mil in expiring contracts (Banks, Evans) and 1st round pick to Philly for Iguodala, Last but not least re-sign CB4!

Ellis, Jack
    AI, Weems,
    RJ, Wright
    Bosh, Amir
    Bynum, Amir

Never gonna happen but it's nice to be able to dream.
    Last edited by Aris; Tue Apr 20, 2010, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Its not so much as BC giving Hedo another chance, its that BC knows that Hedo is untradable

Comment

sxp101 wrote: View Post
        PG - This position is where real improvement can be made. The raptors are in a position of strength here for trade value. I think if BC can pry away Devin Harris from the Nets, this would be good. Harris' stock is low right now, but I think he still has potential to be really good. And the nets seem set to get John Wall. This option will be more viable after the draft lottery when we know if the nets pick no. 1. Other than this, what PG will give us production better than the two we have now?

In sum, I think we're pretty much stuck. Im looking for BC to pull some magic here. Thoughts?
        I like Devin Harris too. Maybe now is the time to strike with him because of his less than stellar season? I think it had a lot to do with the junk team around him. Damn, it must suck for a player to know from the get go that your GM built a stinker designed to not spend money and grab the highest lotto pick possible. Its tough when your own GM is betting against you.

Comment

1. Resign Bosh
          2. Sign Johnson
          3. Trade Calderon and Bargnani to the Heat for Wade
          4. Trade Jack and Turkoglu to the Hornets for CP3

The Raptors then start

Bosh
          Johnson
          Weems
          Wade
          CP3

One can only dream
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

might as well do a sign and trade rasho for lebron and yank dirk out of dallas while we're at it

cp3
            wade
            lebron
            bosh
            dirk

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
              3. Trade Calderon and Bargnani to the Heat for Wade

Coffee just came out my nose.

Comment

PF/C - Andrea Bargnani - I seriously doubt BC will think about trading his boy right when he seems poised to become consistently good
                Bargnani is not poised to be consistently ANYTHING, except a bad rebounder and defender. Please don't use the word consistent in any way when trying to compliment Bargnani. And now is exactly when Colangelo should trade Bargnani before it's apparent to everyone else that he's never going to become the player some people envision.

SF - Hedo - BC will give Hedo another chance. And no matter what you think of his poor performance--this would be the worst time to trade him b/c it would be buying high (last yr), and selling low (now)--not the best market move
                G - DeRozan - This guy is expected to be the future, and isnt going anywhere.

So this leaves the PF (which is fixed if Bosh resigns), and the PG position.

PF - Resigning Bosh would clearly be the best move (though it leaves the starting unit pretty much as is). But I think a sign and trade that nets David Lee wouldnt be so bad -- it would provide a solid if unspectacular inside offensive presence, and will make up for Bargs less than stellar rebounding (I would argue Lee is a better rebounder than Bosh)
                See my explanation about Lee in the sign and trade thread. Lee is a horrible, horrible fit, especially beside Bargnani and Turkoglu. You think the Raptors defense was bad this year? It would be way, way worse with Lee. Think about it, if the Raptors are a 40 win team WITH Bosh. What would replacing Bosh with a player who is not nearly as good make them?

Another guy Raptor fans seem inexplicably enamoured with. Harris is great if you don't want your PG to pass or play defense. He's an undersized shooting guard that dominates the ball and whose teammates have grumbled about not passing the last two years in New Jersey. And he's struggled with injuries throughout his career.

What Harris does well is score. He's not a good shooter, however, and does not shoot for a very good percentage from the floor.

So your plan would be to get extremely flawed players who don't play defense to add to a team of extremely flawed played who don't play defense? Uh, no thanks.
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                X