Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Bautista's All-Star Success Proved Bosh's US Exposure Claims to be false?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Bautista's All-Star Success Proved Bosh's US Exposure Claims to be false?

A constant anxiety among TO fans has been the perception that we're always flying under the radar. This past week, our city's current highest profile athlete not only was tops in All star votes, but also garnered the most votes EVER in the history of voting. That's pretty big (though the internet does have a hand in the volume of votes). Does his outcome make Bosh's previous comments seem even sillier or is it like comparing apples and oranges between the two sports?

good first post
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I understand what your saying and I agree about Bosh's comments being inaccurate. If he was a good enough player he would have been noticed here, and he when he played well he was noticed. People have said for most of his career that he is a top Pf in the game. It does not matter if he played for toronto or for Miami, he still is the same player. I think he thinks that he is better than people said he was, and blamed it on being in Toronto.

However, I do think that comparisons are between two differnt sports has to be considered. I do not watch baseball (I jsut heard about Bautista's success from a co-worker yesterday) so I cant say why the comparisons could be innacurrate, but I do believe that there are some differnces.

Comment

@ ceez
        thanks man

Comment

Yes. The reality is Bosh was not a top tier NBA talent - a good one, yes, but top tier, no.

Carter was one of the most hyped NBA players in his Toronto days - he received plenty of US attention.

For the players saying you can't make it big in Toronto all it means is they aren't a good enough player to win as the centre piece or a marketable enough player to garner the attention they feel they deserve.

I agree with ceez and welcome Dalex.

Comment

If Bosh led the league in scoring like Bautista does with home runs, he would have gotten his due as well. Bosh overestimates his own marketability without realizing that the market/media isn't undervaluing or ignoring him, they're giving him the same amount of pub that is deserved of a player of his caliber. When Bosh was in Toronto, I'd say he got more pub than someone like David West, and those two are pretty much on par, I'd even say West is better.

Vince Carter led the league in All-Star votes by a distance while in Toronto, Roy Halladay was recognized every start on ESPN and so on. It's what you do, not where you play.

Comment

Yeah. Bosh just wasn't good enough to carry the team. Perhaps its not fair to him, but hes the one saying the city can't get superstars. We haven't had one since Vince and that was relatively short lived.

Bautista on the other hand is a superstar. He's a threat to score literally every time he's on the plate. I was at the game on saturday when Halladay pitched (god i love that man and hope he wins a world series soon) and when he took one deep no one was surprised. We cheered but no one was surprised. Superstars do that. Bosh quit and joined up with 2 so he could win, it was apparently the only way he knew how.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I hope bosh gets traded to Siberia
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I wonder if it has more to do with the position he played than anything else. Aren't guards and wings that dunk and hit the big shot considered sexy (ie VC)? Sure if Blake Griffin played for the Raptors he'd be on all the hilight reels on ESPN, but would Tim Duncan have made those hilight reels with his more traditional game?

Comment

Dalex wrote: View Post
                    A constant anxiety among TO fans has been the perception that we're always flying under the radar. This past week, our city's current highest profile athlete not only was tops in All star votes, but also garnered the most votes EVER in the history of voting. That's pretty big (though the internet does have a hand in the volume of votes). Does his outcome make Bosh's previous comments seem even sillier or is it like comparing apples and oranges between the two sports?
                    If it were not for Vince Carter (and now Bautista) I could easily say, yes, the Raptors unfairly never get US exposure. Unfortunately it's not that easy of a clear cut case. When Vince was here and the team was winning games the team made it on to US airwaves and Vince was getting voted into the starting lineup of All-Star games regularly. Bosh never got the exposure he craved from the US due to his own self and the lack of team success. Some US teams get some exposure no matter how they do but it's because they've earned it over time. For the most part if your team stinks, you don't get your games on National TV no matter where you rest your head at night. If the Raptors can build a winning team and maintain the success for more than a measly couple seasons then maybe major US networks will want to take a chance on picking up some Raptors games. Remember, at the end of the day those networks are about making money. They try to rotate successful teams that the nation as a whole will find interesting. Interesting teams draw viewers and viewers lead to major networks turning great profits. Again, the Vince Carter years proved that a good Raptors product leads to strong interest and attention stateside. It's on the management to get the right players to come here and then it's on those players to deliver. When that happens they will get US exposure and possibly attract those players craving the limelight. Personally, I want players here who care about winning rings and not about winning popularity contests. You get all that stuff anyway if you're successful leading a team on your own merit. I think the Raptors need to keep drafting well and provide more stability. It's hard to build a feeling of "family" when you have nine or ten new guys coming in every year. When the money is good and the team is heading in the right direction what young player is going to want to turn his back on "Family"?

Comment

We're not talking about highlight reels we're talking about production and helping the team win. Blake does it, and yes the dunking over anyone and everyone helps. Duncan was universally praised by just about everyone for what he did. He may not have been on sportscenter ever but ive never heard anyone say a bad thing about him.

He was also first team nba and defense for how many years?
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

One also has to keep in mind that what Jose Bautista is doing (and managed to do last year) is a pretty hefty feat. For any athlete, let alone a second-thought player in Toronto. For Chris Bosh to garner the same kind of attention (trying to even out the comparison), would require him to lead the League in Rebounds, and do so in a VERY convincing fashion.
                        If we look at Kevin Love, he is probably the PERFECT comparison point for Bautista. He managed to garner ALOT of positive attention regardless of where he plays, how well his team is doing, or what his expectations were coming into the season.

Plainly speaking, Chris Bosh never managed to do what Jose Bautista is doing to the whole league, for an extended period of time.
                        Bautista is the Poster Boy for Home Run hitting with ZERO affiliation to Steroids, ZERO pretension in his demeanor, and ZERO lobbying for votes. Chris Bosh was the poster boy for Self Promotion and Bad Haircuts.

I don't think Chris Boshs' comments should be given ANY weight to begin with, let alone comparing him to Bautista and Carter. Toronto has managed a few 'Best in the Game' stars (Roy Halladay, Vince Carter), which is more than most teams can claim in their History. Chris Bosh was just one of the many guys with an over-inflated Ego, that thought his game was a bit bigger than it really is.

Comment

chris bosh is known for the ridiculous welcome to miami video and being a overpaid third best player on a team. enjoy, chris!
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

outside of his production in the chicago series i can't think of many positive things ive heard about CBzero.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

if only the jays had better relief pitching. sigh.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                              X