Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade the pick: ESPN late to the party (274)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade the pick: ESPN late to the party (274)

At what point do you trade the pick?
    @sweatpantsjer

i was wondering that too. if it is high ones or low teens? would you trade it for batum if portland would?

Comment

Do you trade the pick?

Or keep the pick, draft the best player available, and then trade the player if he doesn't fit?

Comment

For this year I don't think I see any reason to trade the pick. We need to see what Jonas can do vs. NBA plays. The roster is far from set for next year and a top 7 draft pick should have a spot.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Agreed. I don't think you trade this years pick even if it's the worst case scenario...which I think is the 10th pick in the draft. Keeping in mind that outside of the consensus #1 pick in the draft anyone, and I mean anyone can rise or drop in the draft after the combines and private work outs.

Comment

Fun to think about. I think we start having this conversation once we know our draft position. Nice thing about this draft is if we get a high draft pick we can get our 3 (Barnes/MKG), if we get a lower draft pick we can get our 1 (Lillard/Marshall). So the trade scenario will have to be specific for me to even consider it. That being said, we should start fielding calls for trading the pick after we get our draft order and see some workouts.
            Welp, that sucked.

Comment

I think with BC's desire to hit next season running trading the pick if we fall out of the top 7 or so becomes very real
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Lets not totally gloom & doom on our draft position. Remember what happened with Cleveland last year...their 8th slot (the Clippers pick) became the 1st on lottery day. I dont believe one can seriously mull the trade question until we at least know our draft position after the lottery...and it also depends on who remains on the board by the time our pick is on the clock.

Comment

And what we can get for it.

Comment

Strange tag

Comment

If we get a 6-10th pick, I'm down to trade the pick plus bargnani to get the first pick. (just a pipe dream-no salary calculations were taken into consideration)

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                        Lets not totally gloom & doom on our draft position. Remember what happened with Cleveland last year...their 8th slot (the Clippers pick) became the 1st on lottery day. I dont believe one can seriously mull the trade question until we at least know our draft position after the lottery...and it also depends on who remains on the board by the time our pick is on the clock.
                        Agreed. Also depends on how the lottery shakes down with regards to other teams, especially those with (potentially) multiple lottery picks. At this point, I would say even the #1 pick could be traded for the right deal (ie: for a top-3 pick, a 2nd lottery pick and/or a good rotation player). With so much unclear beyond the #1 pick and with the Raptors having so many assets at their disposal to use in any number of trades, it's hard to answer the thread's question straight-up at this time.

To try and play along, assuming the thread was talking about trading down/out of the draft as opposed to trading up (which would require more than just the Raptors' lottery pick), I would think the Raptors would be happy drafting a player at least down to #6 (Davis, MKG, Beal, TRob, Drummond, Barnes), or basically as far down as Barnes drops. I still think the Raptors like Barnes, at least as their 3rd favourite wing. If those happen to be the top-6 picks and the Raptors pick at #7 or lower, then there could be a whole new level of trade discussion going on. At that point, I could realistically see the Raps trading their pick for a lower lottery pick, to draft Marshall as the PG-of-the-future, along with another asset.

Comment

unless we get 1 or 2 I'm trading it for two mid first rounders
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                            Strange tag
                            hahahaha yeah why does it say fart

Comment

Keep the pick or trade down a few spots

I'd keep the pick. I think it would be hard to trade it for two mid round picks, at least in this year's draft, and I'd prefer to keep building from within. With the log jam imminent among the bigs and the need to bolster at 1, 2 and 3 it looks like a current roster player or two may be moving on. Amir and Ed get the most talk regarding this and keeping a higher pick to add to the bigs doesn't seem ideal when JV is coming. If Raps land in high in the draft and see a player they can trade down to to get, then there might be some motive for that, but otherwise stand pat with the draft pick. Let's wait and see how the lottery shakes out.

Comment

Working...
                              X