Solomon Alabi -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solomon Alabi -

I really think Alabi should start at center for the rest of the season.

Here is why...

More lottery balls BUT...this is his second year on the team and we still haven't really seen how he would respond
    against other NBA teams. Why not give him 20 minutes a game and see if he can play himself into the 5th or even 4th big role for next season. At under 1 million a season you can't really go wrong
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

thead wrote: View Post
    I really think Alabi should start at center for the rest of the season.

Here is why...

More lottery balls BUT...this is his second year on the team and we still haven't really seen how he would respond
    against other NBA teams. Why not give him 20 minutes a game and see if he can play himself into the 5th or even 4th big role for next season. At under 1 million a season you can't really go wrong
    The only issue is David Stern. He might come at the Raptors with 'lottery-fixing' charges if Alabi was to play above 5 minutes per game in any game within 15 points.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      The only issue is David Stern. He might come at the Raptors with 'lottery-fixing' charges if Alabi was to play above 5 minutes per game in any game within 15 points.
      Could he actually do something like that?

Comment

I know he's had some minutes lately but let's not get too crazy here. If he can get some garbage time in blowouts and maybe 5/game over the next couple weeks that would be enough. Bring him along slowly and see if he actually makes progress.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
          Could he actually do something like that?
          I'm not sure. It was an attempt at humour. However I'm sure eyebrows would be raised if things became undeniably obvious.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            I'm not sure. It was an attempt at humour. However I'm sure eyebrows would be raised if things became undeniably obvious.
            True, but its an interesting question. I don't know how the NBA would enforce an anti-tank policy.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
              True, but its an interesting question. I don't know how the NBA would enforce an anti-tank policy.
              I'm not sure either. But to take a stab at it:

1) independent medical examinations of 'injured' players to determine if they are fit to play,
              2) monetary incentives for franchises for statistical achievement to be divided among the players (team shooting percentage, defensive rating, offensive rating, opponent shooting percentage, team rebounding, games played, etc.).

Comment

I don't think it's really a tanking issue. If the franchise wants to give a player, which they have invested time and money into, larger role I think the team has a right to do that. It's like the Lin scenario, he finally got into a game and showed what he had, he was on the verge of getting cut. Is that tanking?

I'm not saying that Alibi is by any means as talented as Lin, but I think a franchise has the option to discover that. On the other hand, I trust the coaching staff. There is a reason why this guy isn't playing already. I don't think it's necessary for the fans to see how good he is, if the coaching staff has already come to the conclusion that it would be a waste of time.

I don't think the league would walk down the path of making such accusations. It could get very dirty! The teams that are in the bottom, have a definite lack of talent or have encountered injuries. New Jersey is the team that I think is under performing, but they have had a few injuries as well. They do have a few players that I would love to have on this team.

Comment

Why wouldn't you want to give those 20 minutes to someone who could potentially be more than a 4th/5th big? (see Davis, Ed)

Comment

Because there is a reason the coaching staff hasn't put him on the floor more. They can judge talent far better than we can. If he could play, he would be out there. I don;t think any coach wants to go out and play a player who is obviously not up to snuff. It sends the wrong message.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                      I don't think it's really a tanking issue. If the franchise wants to give a player, which they have invested time and money into, larger role I think the team has a right to do that. It's like the Lin scenario, he finally got into a game and showed what he had, he was on the verge of getting cut. Is that tanking?

I'm not saying that Alibi is by any means as talented as Lin, but I think a franchise has the option to discover that. On the other hand, I trust the coaching staff. There is a reason why this guy isn't playing already. I don't think it's necessary for the fans to see how good he is, if the coaching staff has already come to the conclusion that it would be a waste of time.

I don't think the league would walk down the path of making such accusations. It could get very dirty! The teams that are in the bottom, have a definite lack of talent or have encountered injuries. New Jersey is the team that I think is under performing, but they have had a few injuries as well. They do have a few players that I would love to have on this team.
                      Lin was producing after being handed minutes. Nobody can accuse you of tanking when you're winning games.

Alabi, on the other hand, would be stumbling and bumbling for 35 minutes a night, while providing us with next to nothing, making the tank very obvious. But then again, that's what Bargnani's doing right now

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Lin was producing after being handed minutes. Nobody can accuse you of tanking when you're winning games.

Alabi, on the other hand, would be stumbling and bumbling for 35 minutes a night, while providing us with next to nothing, making the tank very obvious. But then again, that's what Bargnani's doing right now
                        Oh I totally agree with you! I just think that the NBA wouldn't say anything if a team decided to try a guy out. I don't think Alibi is NBA ready, and that's why he hasn't played. I'm not comparing the talents of the two by any means.

Comment

Thomas A. wrote: View Post
                          Why wouldn't you want to give those 20 minutes to someone who could potentially be more than a 4th/5th big? (see Davis, Ed)
                          Because IMO they are already in a fight for the third big role. The loser of that is likely going to be traded since duplication that deep is a waste of assets. I feel like Gray and Alabi should be splitting the minutes since we are now in a full evaluation mode made explicitly clear by the signing of 10 days and waiving of vets
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                            Oh I totally agree with you! I just think that the NBA wouldn't say anything if a team decided to try a guy out. I don't think Alibi is NBA ready, and that's why he hasn't played. I'm not comparing the talents of the two by any means.
                            Guys don't get better by sitting either though. If Alabi is not good enough to be with the team send him back down to the D-League let him get in game basketball experience

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                              Guys don't get better by sitting either though. If Alabi is not good enough to be with the team send him back down to the D-League let him get in game basketball experience
                              There probably isn't any reason to send him down. The Raptors have a team option on him for next season, which is almost guaranteed to NOT be exercised. I'm thinking they've completely given up on him.

Comment

Working...
                              X