Your list of "IF's"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your list of "IF's"

Not a lot of happy campers in Raptorland but I think the one thing everyone basically agrees with is the current Raptor team with just minor tweaks has a low ceiling and requires a lot of "IF's" to make the playoffs - let alone go beyond the first round.

So whether you want the team to stay as is, blow it up, or make a trade give YOUR list of "IF's" that would make you excited for next season.

I will be excited about next season "IF" .....
    • a legit starting power forward is obtained
    • current Raptors can at least become or return to average 3pt shooters (DD, Ross, Fields, Gay) and any new wing is a proficient 3pt shooter
    • a good backup PG is obtained
    • Bargnani is traded and actually returns something useful such as a pick (ha!) or an expiring cotnract
    • JV continues on his developmental pace of this previous season
    • Colangelo is replaced
    • Casey is replaced or if he returns to defensive prowess of year 1 while changing his offensive schemes/philosophy

Maybe this should be a Christmas list?
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue May 14, 2013, 07:26 PM.

Comment

IF Rudy and DeMar are consistent, IF internal improvements are made (DeRozan, Ross, Valanciunas, Acy), and IF the team trades Bargnani for a big named power forward (Love, Millsap), they're easily a playoff team.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

IF the Raps get a quality vet-filled bench
        IF a particular gentleman is traded
        IF a particular gentleman is fired

The Raps will take a small, but real step towards respectability.

Comment

If we could make the Bargnani and Fields contracts disappear.
          If DeMar and Gay could play like they were worth their contracts
          If we could land a Paul Milsap

Comment

IF I never hear Leo Rautin's over a Raptor game again.

IF JLIII and Telfair are not the primary backups for next year, and a true back up is acquired.

IF Bryan Colangelo is replaced. Khan is available right? (sarcasm.)

IF The Demar and Rudy become more consistent perimeter threats, while Ross and Fields can be solid backups for next year.

IF Lowry can be healthy.

That is pretty much it. I want to watch Demar and Rudy get better together (though I am far from confident in this), I want to see Lowry healthy and with a respectable backup, BC gone, and just general shooting improvement.

I just dont think this team has the foundation to be good. Unless there are major changes, I do not expect this team to be good. I do have optimism in regards to Demar, Rudy, and Lowry, and that is what I really want to see next season. Hopefully Rudy can figure his eye issues out, Demar can improve, and Lowry get back to normal and I think we could have an entertaining team. They have the potential to make this team exciting.

Not to mention JV should take big steps next year, and hopefully Ross might too.

Comment

I am already excited for next year ... always excited for Raptors ball. But there are IF's that would be even better.

1. IF the Raps can bring in a deadeye 3 point shooter like Reddick, Korver, Dunleavy, etc. Raptors won the Atlantic with AP, Bargs, Garbo, Jose, etc - dropping 3's ... it's exciting ball to watch.

2. IF we keep Bargnani. I'm adding this as a change because common sentiment has him leaving. Not easy to defend myself, but I just love watching him breakdown defenders, and I think he could be a 6th man candidate averaging 16+ PPG.

3. IF we traded for Ridnour. Honestly Jose is my dream backup PG, but I admit thay ship has sailed. Luke has a similar game, experience, and ability to can 3's. I'm not sure how ... a Fields trade, maybe? Not my job!

There!

Lowry/Ridnour/JL3
              Demar/Ross
              Rudy/Korver/AA
              Amir/Bargs/Acy
              Jonas/Gray
              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

IF we could hit the FastForward button on the remote control from Adam Sandler's movie "Click", we could skip this season and lose every single game -- and IF we win the lottery, this franchise gets me excited.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

I will just mention the obvious ones : fix Fields,off Bargnani, replace or get offensive coach to help Casey,Valanciunas continuous to improve.
                  IF Gay becomes more consistent - I don't require his 3pt shooting so much - just be more efficient.
                  IF Ross developes...at least a little bit.
                  If Derozan adds something to his game - passing,rebounding, defense....ANYTHING

Comment

IF... this team makes the playoffs and are setup for the long-term with an improved young core

IF... coaching priorities return to instilling fundamental values (ie: defense, ball movement, team play)

IF... Valanciunas & Ross take significant steps forward in their individual development

IF... Gay's eye surgery and training camp return him to 2nd-tier star status and an all-star appearance

IF... Fields returns to his rookie season form and can improve from there, becoming a 3pt shooting glue-guy along the lines of AP, Garbo and Mo-P

IF... Kleiza, Anderson and Lucas never wear a Raptors jersey ever again (death to me-first hero ball)

IF... Bargnani is traded to give us all a fresh start

IF... a young stud starting PF is acquired via trade, for Bargnani and/or DeRozan (ie: Love or Millsap)

IF... a veteran pass-first PG is acquired via trade/free agency to run the 2nd unit (ie: Calderon or Ridnour)

IF... via on-court performance more than off-court drama, this franchise can return to NBA relevancy

Comment

If ... feeding the ball into Valanciunas in the post or via pick-and-roll becomes a significant part of the offense.
                      If ... their offence actually uses the corner 3 as part of its system. They've got guys who seem like they can hit that shot reliably, but they rarely look for it.
                      If ... they're able to play decent perimeter defence.
                      If ... the backup unit consists of a pass-first PG and scrappy guys who work their asses off and no chuckers. (Could be Ross, Acy, Fields, young backup C, and smart veteran PG, but an upgrade on Acy would be even better).
                      If ... the starters avoid injury woes and are able to really build chemistry over training camp and the first 20 or so games.
                      If ... the schedule makers don't front-load our season with west conference road games.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                        If ... feeding the ball into Valanciunas in the post or via pick-and-roll becomes a significant part of the offense.
                        If ... their offence actually uses the corner 3 as part of its system. They've got guys who seem like they can hit that shot reliably, but they rarely look for it.
                        If ... they're able to play decent perimeter defence.
                        If ... the backup unit consists of a pass-first PG and scrappy guys who work their asses off and no chuckers. (Could be Ross, Acy, Fields, young backup C, and smart veteran PG, but an upgrade on Acy would be even better).
                        If ... the starters avoid injury woes and are able to really build chemistry over training camp and the first 20 or so games.
                        If ... the schedule makers don't front-load our season with west conference road games.

That is a great point. The only difference in Casey's sets for DeRozan and Ross is Ross comes off the screens behind the 3 point line. Put some ball/player movement in there and get some open looks in the corner with an extra pass.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          That is a great point. The only difference in Casey's sets for DeRozan and Ross is Ross comes off the screens behind the 3 point line. Put some ball/player movement in there and get some open looks in the corner with an extra pass.
                          Drive and kick would really help this corner-3 problem...Lowry's ability to penetrate could solve a little bit of it.

Too many times I've seen Rudy dribble into that 15-20 foot range and then just jack up a stupid shot. I went to one of the last games of the season, when they played the Bulls. I swear he must've done it 6-8 times. Same thing with DeMar.

They definitely have the athletic ability to drive more efficiently and get deeper into the defense IMO. Position Ross in the corner, and a lot more opportunities can be created.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                            Drive and kick would really help this corner-3 problem...Lowry's ability to penetrate could solve a little bit of it.

Too many times I've seen Rudy dribble into that 15-20 foot range and then just jack up a stupid shot. I went to one of the last games of the season, when they played the Bulls. I swear he must've done it 6-8 times. Same thing with DeMar.

They definitely have the athletic ability to drive more efficiently and get deeper into the defense IMO. Position Ross in the corner, and a lot more opportunities can be created.
                            A big part of that is everyone else is standing and watching. Setting up an ISO is good in certain situations but teh other 4 guys can't become spectators as well. Same idea as running Ross off screens for a three or DD off screens for a long 2, the other guys are left standing.

I wholeheartedly agree you need some punch and kick. As well, hopefully JV becoming a threat on the block (or someone) allows for a kick out and the extra pass for the wide open three.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I will be excited about next season "IF" .....
                              • a legit starting power forward is obtained
                              • current Raptors can at least become or return to average 3pt shooters (DD, Ross, Fields, Gay) and any new wing is a proficient 3pt shooter
                              • a good backup PG is obtained
                              • Bargnani is traded and actually returns something useful such as a pick (ha!) or an expiring cotnract
                              • JV continues on his developmental pace of this previous season
                              • Colangelo is replaced
                              • Casey is replaced or if he returns to defensive prowess of year 1 while changing his offensive schemes/philosophy
                              In agreement. My fear is we have another horrible start to season like last years 4-19. We always choke on December west cost trip and that screws us for the whole season.

IF we can be .500 by jan 1 I will be extremely thrilled.
                              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed May 15, 2013, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X