Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Draft Grade With Colangelo

2011 LOTTERY PICK: 5
    PICKS LAST 5 YEARS: Andrea Bargnani, P.J. Tucker, Edin Bavcic, Giorgos Printezis, DeMar DeRozan, Ed Davis, and Solomon Alabi
    GRADE: B+

The Raptors took Andrea Bargnani with the first overall pick in 2006, and he has proven to be a very good NBA player, but not a true franchise player. He is a great scorer who can shoot lights out, but that is about the extent of his game at this point, and as long as he is the Raptors’ best player, they will not be making any trips to the playoffs. DeMar DeRozan averaged 17 points per game this year, and looks to be Toronto’s shooting guard for years to come. Ed Davis had a very good rookie campaign averaging seven points and seven rebounds, while shooting 57 percent from the field. He is another good building block for the team going forward.
    Source: DimeMag.com

Do you people agree?

I agree. Bargnani would get him at least a C, considering most teams would've picked either Bargnani or Aldridge. He gets a B+/A- for DeRozan and an A/A+ for Davis. The other players were pretty insignificant.

Comment

All the other guys were second rounders. The picks that GM's are expected to get right, Bryan Colangelo did well with.

Comment

printezis was a draft day trade, so it's kind of borderline qualify. roy hibbert was drafted by him, but, given it was who indiana wanted and still no word to this day on whether bryan would have picked him. again borderline qualify

bavcic also borderline.

derozan i think is an A, and Davis is an A+ because he was slotted to go top 10 and we got him at 13.

Bargnani also an A.

i think he's done a damn good job with the picks he's had, but, i think he could have had more picks than he has had and he's rid some of them and not acquired another 1st rounder.

which I beleive he could have, but, chose not to.

so, i think it's a B+ grade.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Because we don't know if he would have drafted Hibbert if he wasn't trading the pick he can't qualify.

What's the difference between Colangelo acquiring the pick that lands him Printezis a year before the draft or trading for him immediately on draft day? To me, nothing.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Because we don't know if he would have drafted Hibbert if he wasn't trading the pick he can't qualify.

What's the difference between Colangelo acquiring the pick that lands him Printezis a year before the draft or trading for him immediately on draft day? To me, nothing.
            my counterpoint to that is that he's never played a game in the nba, not sure he's even held a workout.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

How is that a counter point? You were questioning if Colangelo should be credited from drafting Printezis and I said to you, what does it matter if the trade happened the day of or a year prior because either way he got the guy on draft night.

The fact that he hasn't played yet in the NBA means what really? To me it means that he's locked into a contract overseas. It is no reflection on his ability to play in the NBA if that's where you're heading. Calderon never held a workout. He wasn't even drafted.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                Davis is an A+ because he was slotted to go top 10 and we got him at 13.
                Actually in terms of Colangelo's draft grade, I would give something around a B+, or a more neutral grade. Davis fell into his lap, it wasn't any genius discovery of Colangelo's.
                The only thing that warrants an A+, at least for me, is a pick like Rondo, or even just someone like Landry Fields. Specifically, someone he drafted with a low, non lottery pick that everyone else passed over but he got because of his superior preparation, insight, and scouting ability.

Comment

Kennay wrote: View Post
                  Actually in terms of Colangelo's draft grade, I would give something around a B+, or a more neutral grade. Davis fell into his lap, it wasn't any genius discovery of Colangelo's.
                  The only thing that warrants an A+, at least for me, is a pick like Rondo, or even just someone like Landry Fields. Specifically, someone he drafted with a low, non lottery pick that everyone else passed over but he got because of his superior preparation, insight, and scouting ability.
                  ah, shit my bad i meant A-. sorry bout that.

Comment

How is that a counter point? You were questioning if Colangelo should be credited from drafting Printezis and I said to you, what does it matter if the trade happened the day of or a year prior because either way he got the guy on draft night.

The fact that he hasn't played yet in the NBA means what really? To me it means that he's locked into a contract overseas. It is no reflection on his ability to play in the NBA if that's where you're heading. Calderon never held a workout. He wasn't even drafted.
                    i guess you could look at it like he got him and he never made an attempt to bring him in so it was a complete waste.

i don't know, anyways, lets quit arguing about some no name second rounder and start arguing about edin bavcic, hahaha.

Comment

Just to play devil's advocate no one expected Davis to fall that much and it seemed like a no brainer to me. A lotta luck on that one.

But yeah, I think BC is solid and drafting them 1st rounders. He's still due for a sleeper 2nd rounder one these days! But ya can't really complain about that.
                      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

B+ sounds good.

A- if he had managed to get someone half useful in the second round, which he hasn't.

While he shouldn't be awarded too much for getting Davis at #13, several GMs did pass on Davis and take inferior players (IMO), so we shouldn't take the Davis pick for granted.

Comment

I would give him lower then that because he decided a few times to trade a first round pick in a package deals that were rated poor trades and did not really turn out well for the Raptors.

Comment

All the other guys were second rounders. The picks that GM's are expected to get right, Bryan Colangelo did well with.
                            Yep, if you want to find one of Colangelo's faults, the draft isn't one of them.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                              I would give him lower then that because he decided a few times to trade a first round pick in a package deals that were rated poor trades and did not really turn out well for the Raptors.
                              But how great did those picks turn out for other teams? Should be considered too.
                              Hibbert as an example, is not a cornerstone piece imo ... barely acceptable rebounding and defence for a starting C.
                              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Working...
                              X