Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems says young players, including himself, are foolish

Eric Koreen January 3, 2011 – 3:35 pm

The kids are not all right. Take it from Sonny Weems, one of those kids.

Weems has been nursing back spasms since the afternoon of Dec. 17. The Toronto Raptors swingman thought it was an injury that would only keep him out of action for a few days at most.

More than two weeks later, he is still out, and he will miss the next three games as well. That will mean Weems will miss at least an even 10 games.

Weems is blaming himself a bit, as he has never really paid attention to core strength.

“Especially young players, guys around my age, we really don’t pay attention to stretching. We think it’s all just b.s.,” Weems said at the Raptors practice on Monday. “It’s very important. You see what I’ve had to go through. It’s something I will take heed to.”
    They be foolish
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

There are good arguments for and against stretching before and after weight training... I'm not sure how that translates to high endurance activities but I make sure I stretch out well before hitting the ice or doing any cardio exercise just incase.
    Last edited by Apollo; Tue Jan 4, 2011, 08:08 PM.

Comment

more like foolish for squandering his chances by coasting through games at times.

Comment

It seems to me that Weems was referring primarily to core strengthening

Weems is blaming himself a bit, as he has never really paid attention to core strength.
        Exercise balls
        Exercise balls have been around for a long time, but over the last several years, they've become more popular. The fitness industry has realized that exercise balls can help build core strength and provide unique benefits for improving overall fitness levels. When you sit on an exercise ball, you are forced to balance yourself, which engages your mid-section (your core). Therefore, doing exercises on an exercise ball can have multiple benefits: not only do you benefit from whatever exercise you are engaged in, but you get the added benefit of engaging your core as your body stabilizes itself. In addition, exercise balls are ideal workout tools for doing focused abdominal strengthening exercises.

These benefits are especially important for basketball players. Playing the game of basketball involves the whole body moving as a unit. Think of jumping up high for a rebound: it involves balance, an explosive jumping movement, extension of your mid-section and arms...all tied together by a strong core (your mid-section).
        Creating Strength from the Inside Out., Focus on Pillar 1 of Performance Training

by: Jeff Higuera CSCS, CPT, HFI

If you have done any research, read any conditioning books, or articles on the subject of strength training, you have been sure to read about "core training." Core training has been a buzzword over the past 5 years. The wide range of core training literature and trainers and coaches preaching this concept confuses many athletes on what core training is and how to perform it. The purpose of this article is to guide you with an easy understanding of what "core training" is and why it is important for developing your athletic strength as a basketball player.
        Core training helps stabilize the lower spine, pelvis, and hips: Injuries, especially low back injuries, often occur in athletes such as basketball players who lack core strength.
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

This maybe a naive thought but why when every team has a trainer or two and with all the historical and medical/athletic best practices having being developed ....that certain off court activities are not mandated and verified. No stretching etc and the player gets injured with a muscle pull (groins are a problem especially) and no pay for missed time. Some of these guys are like children.

Comment

The fact that there are professional athletes out there that ignore (or don't understand the importance of) core strength and stretching is baffling. This is common knowledge amongst gym junkies - you'd think that guys with an entire staff dedicated to their conditioning would understand this!

At the very least, they should be forced to complete exercises according to a certain regiment. I would even go so far as having a nutritional guide that stops them from eating McDonald's and Pizza during the regular season. The key to a healthy body starts with your diet!

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post

At the very least, they should be forced to complete exercises according to a certain regiment. I would even go so far as having a nutritional guide that stops them from eating McDonald's and Pizza during the regular season. The key to a healthy body starts with your diet!
              Maybe thats why Turk played so poorly here - Toronto staff told him no more pizza.

Comment

Working...
              X