Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter from Bryan Colangelo

Dear x,

What a spectacle! What we have all just witnessed is something unprecedented in professional basketball and possibly even in professional sports. In a year where multiple NBA teams positioned themselves for the ability to sign a "maximum" contract player (or players) in free agency, three of the NBA's bright young stars are teaming together in an attempt to win an NBA Championship. Kudos to the Miami Heat for pulling off such a feat.

I'm sure that there is frustration and disappointment, possibly even resentment, upon hearing the news that Chris Bosh is leaving Toronto to join forces with Dwyane Wade and LeBron James in South Beach. Well that certainly is the feeling from this vantage point as we lose a player that has been the centrepiece of our franchise for the last several years. I can assure you every move/investment made in the last four years to improve our basketball team was designed with the belief that putting the right pieces around Chris would get us closer to our goal of winning an NBA Championship. In fact, Chris actively participated in that process as transactions and changes were contemplated because I have always believed that a franchise player experiences a sense of ownership in team building. Unfortunately, we fell short of that goal and must now move on to a post-Bosh era in Toronto.

In completing a Sign-and-Trade transaction with Miami, we were able to extract a very valuable Trade Exception and future draft picks that will serve as building blocks in the process of re-tooling our basketball team. The Trade Exception can be used to acquire players under contract with other teams via trade, or it can be used to leverage the acquisition of additional future assets. Speaking of the future, I can't tell you how energized we all feel to see the positive growth and development of so much young athletic talent on our roster including re-signing Amir Johnson and the recent first-round draft selection of Ed Davis. While more changes to the roster are possible, even likely, we can promise you now that this team will compete every night they take to the floor.

We believe we have the best fans in the NBA and we believe in the city and country that we play in. Your passion, pride and support has been tremendous no matter what the circumstances, and we cannot thank you enough for that. We all share a commitment to winning both on and off the floor and MLSE/Toronto Raptors ownership and management will do whatever it takes to WIN while also making the community a better place. Our franchise will evolve and emerge stronger than before, and I assure you that our combined efforts will produce the WINNER you are hoping for.

Sincerely,

Bryan Colangelo
    bc sig
    President and General Manager
    Toronto Raptors Basketball Club

Tonight's "Raptors Riddle":

What does the Raptors President/GM tell fans knowing that the team has a 0.00% chance of winning a title for the next 5-7 years after completely overhauling the team roster every summer for the past four years, and than fail to even qualify for the playoffs two years in a row?

He tries to give fans hope and make them believe that he can and will assemble a team that will compete for a title (eventually) by telling them that every move/investment he's made in the last four years to improve "our" team was designed with the belief that putting the right pieces in place would get "us" closer to "our" goal of winning an NBA Championship, and than promise that this year's team will compete every night they take to the floor.

Edit: Even though I stand behind BC's moves last summer, agreeing that they were sound and would result in the team winning a first round playoff series, I think BC's current track record as the Raps President/GM has demonstrated that he is undoubtedly a highly competent and highly capable senior executive, who's weakness is a penchant for making calculated high-risk decisions/investments - that have, unfortunately, all resulted in dramatic failures which have tarnished his current reputation to the point were he can no longer be allowed to make another high-risk decision/investment for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by James Ballswin (Realizar); Sat Jul 10, 2010, 06:28 AM.
    RR OG

Comment

well he had to build around CB4 and nothing worked hence the overhauls. But we have our solid young core because of him and now some picks with a couple of good moves he may actually redeem himself this year so lets see what happens.

Comment

James Ballswin (Realizar) wrote: View Post
        What does the Raptors President/GM tell fans knowing that the team has a 0.00% chance of winning a title for the next 5-7 years after completely overhauling the team roster every summer for the past four years, and than fail to even qualify for the playoffs two years in a row?

He tries to give fans hope and make them believe that the they can and will (someday win a title) by telling them that every move/investment he's made in the last four years to improve "our" team was designed with the belief that putting the right pieces in place would get "us" closer to "our" goal of winning an NBA Championship, and than promise that this year's team will compete every night they take to the floor.
        He he James, probably you like Dan Gilbert letter better, because I certainly do. Anyway, I don't think BC could do more to try keep Bosh around. Once Bosh decided to quit on Raptors (around ASG break), there was nothing BC could do. Most of the previous years moves BC did, were approved by Bosh and by many of us (at the time of trade not after ). Unfortunately it didn't work, Bosh is gone and we have to move on.

Comment

What a pimp B.C. is. I don't think he needed give us fans a letter, but my god do I appreciate that! I'm behind this guy a hundred percent and always have been. He's doen an unbelievable job in not letting the Raps get screwed over here, and he hasn't gone the desperate route once in Chris' departure. Here's to the next era!

Comment

i hate the word re-tooling
            It is a sign of not knowing what to do. Its a sign of being nervous and a sign of being scared. REBUILD. re-tooling only moves you side to side not forward.

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
              What a pimp B.C. is. I don't think he needed give us fans a letter, but my god do I appreciate that! I'm behind this guy a hundred percent and always have been. He's doen an unbelievable job in not letting the Raps get screwed over here, and he hasn't gone the desperate route once in Chris' departure. Here's to the next era!
              Is this sarcastic?
              lol serious question i cant really tell

Comment

Kind of sounds like BC is trying to deflect some of the blame onto Bosh for his crap free-agent signings

Comment

INFO wrote: View Post
                  Is this sarcastic?
                  lol serious question i cant really tell
                  haha sorry dude, yah I am totally for real! BC tried his best to build a team around Bosh these last couple years, and I think he did a hell of a job!

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
                    haha sorry dude, yah I am totally for real! BC tried his best to build a team around Bosh these last couple years, and I think he did a hell of a job!
                    I still can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

Comment

cornbreadd wrote: View Post
                      Kind of sounds like BC is trying to deflect some of the blame onto Bosh for his crap free-agent signings
                      I thought so too. Basically saying he did what Bosh wanted and he still bailed on him. He's probably right but he's got to take full responsibility instead of deflecting blame, after all, the GM has the final call.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                        I thought so too. Basically saying he did what Bosh wanted and he still bailed on him. He's probably right but he's got to take full responsibility instead of deflecting blame, after all, the GM has the final call.
                        I agree he should take full responsibility, and hope the more intelligent Raptors fans realize that if Ohio native LBJ wouldn't resign with one of the best NBA teams which also happens to have the "home team" advantage, then why would Texas native Chris Bosh resign with one of the most disappointing teams last year.

That said, it was not a good situation for any GM involved (aside from Riley), whether Cleveland, Toronto or even New York.

Comment

I think BC did everything he could to put a winner on the court. He brought in the top free-agent last year in Hedo. The raps at the all-star break were 5th in the east and easily the hottest team in the league and when the second half started something was different. Bosh got injured again and it kinda any flow the team had going. None the less this is still a talented team and is gonna be fun to watch next season.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                            I still can't tell if you're being sarcastic.
                            If your picture resembles your persona, then you are probably confused by allot of things.

Comment

Man BC is a class act. I've always supported him and all of the moves that he's made seems like good moves at the time. I, for one believe that this team will be able to compete once the final roster is set for this upcoming season, of course not for an championship this year but I do expect us to make the playoffs because Chris Bosh was not this entire team and without him the Raptors will move on just like we did after VC. Lets go BC and lets go Raptors!

Comment

Working...
                              X