Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Draft Burn-Out - Is Boeheim right about 1st rounders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft Burn-Out - Is Boeheim right about 1st rounders?

The 2014 draft thread had a posting (by a brilliant member) showing SI's Interview with Jim Boeheim touched on whether Ennis will turn pro. Here is the quick Q&A I want to focus on.

SI.com: Do you think he'll turn pro after the season is over?

Boeheim: I don't think so. I think he knows and his father knows that he's a really good college player. He has to become a better shooter and get stronger to go to the next level. He'd go in the first round, but look at the number of first-round picks who are already out of the league in the last two years. It's a huge number."

Well, now I have to look for myself.

NBA CBA rules, first round picks are guaranteed 2 year contracts with a team option for 2 more years. I thought it was worth while exploring, how many 1st round picks completely flame out within the first 5 years? I am not including International players that didn't come over, as that is different.

Here is the list of players since the 2000 draft:

2000 - Jerome Moiso (11th), Courtney Alexander (13th), Jason Collier (15th), Donnell Harvery (22nd), Mamadou N'Diaye (26th), Erick Barkley (28th)
    2001 - Rodney White (9th), Kedreick Brown (11th). Kirk Haston (16th), Michael Bradley (17th), Joseph Forte (21st), Jeryl Sasser (22nd)
    2002 - Jay Williams (2nd) - Injury, Dajuan Wagner (6th). Jiri Welsch (16th), Curtis Borchardt (18th), Ryan Humphrey (19th), Qyntel Woods (21), Casey Jacobsen (22nd), Frank Williams (25th), Chris Jefferies (27th), Dan Dickau (28th)
    2003 - Mike Sweetney (9th), Reece Gaines (15th), Troy Bell (16th)
    2004 - Rafael Araujo (8th), Luke Jackson (10th), Robert Swift (12th), Kirk Snyder (16th), David Harrison (29th)
    2005 - Sean May (13th), Rashad McCants (14th), Julius Hodge (20th), Wayne Simien (29th)
    2006 - Adam Morrison (3rd), Patrick O'Bryant (9th), Mouhamed Sene (10th), Cedric Simmons (15th), Oleksiy Pecherov (18th), Quincy Douby (19th), Marcus Williams (22nd), Josh Boone (23rd), Sergio Rodriguez (27th), Maurice Ager (28th), Mardy Collins (29th)
    2007 - Yi Jianlian (6th), Acie Law (11th), Julian Wright (13), Al Thornton (14th), Sean Williams (17th), Javaris Crittenton (19th), Rudy Fernandez* (24th), Morris Almond (25th), Alando Tucker (29th)
    2008 - Joe Alexander (8th), JR Giddens (30th)
    2009 - Jonny Flynn (6th, Syracuse), Terrence Williams (11th), Christian Eyenga (30th)
    2010 - Craig Brackins (21), Dominique Jones (25th)
    2011 - JaJuan Johnson (27th)
    2012 - Royce White (16th) - unusual case. Staying in College would have unlikely affected his career.

*Rudy Fernandez is talented enough and was largely due to unhappiness with playing time/contract.

~~

So in 12 years, we have a total of 63 players who were out of the league within 5 years of being drafted in the first round. That is 17.5% of all first round draftees or about 5 per year.

So for Boeheim's example, it's actually below norm as a total of 4 players from the last 3 drafts (not 2 as he referenced) are out. Some years are obviously higher than others. 30 of 63 players were drafted in the years 2002, 2006 or 2007. So almost 50% of all draft flame-outs in the past 12 years, can be attributed to a quarter (3) of the drafts. These numbers will move a bit as the last few drafts still have time to add some names.

Of these players, I thought I'd break it down to show lottery picks that flamed out. Here's the list:

2000 - Jerome Moiso (11th), Courtney Alexander (13th)
    2001 - Rodney White (9th), Kedreick Brown (11th)
    2002 - Jay Williams (2nd), Dajuan Wagner (6th)
    2003 - Mike Sweetney (9th)
    2004 - Rafael Araujo (8th), Luke Jackson (10th), Robert Swift (12th)
    2005 - Sean May (13th), Rashad McCants (14th)
    2006 - Adam Morrison (3rd), Patrick O'Bryant (9th), Mouhamed Sene (10th)
    2007 - Yi Jianlian (6th), Acie Law (11th), Julian Wright (13), Al Thornton (14th)
    2008 - Joe Alexander (8th)
    2009 - Jonny Flynn (6th, Syracuse), Terrence Williams (11th)
    2010 -
    2011 -
    2012 -

Down to 22 players; or 13% of all lottery picks; which equates to 1.8 players per draft.

So, statistically speaking, 5 players this year will be out of the league within 5 years. 1 or 2 of those players will be a lottery pick. Who will they be?

The Raps had only 2 picks make the list, Michael Bradley and Hafa. But, if you look through the full lists, you'll see several more names of players that made it through Toronto on their way out the door.

Link for data:
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...der_by=year_id
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Top-10 picks: 12 (9.2%)

Top-5 picks: 2 (3.1%)

Really comes as no surprise that the 'guarantee' of drafting a player who will contribute long-term increases the closer you get to the top of the lottery.

---

PS: you actually studied 13 seasons, not 12 (2000-2012 inclusive), so I'm not sure if that impacts your math at all...

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      Top-10 picks: 12 (9.2%)

Top-5 picks: 2 (3.1%)

Really comes as no surprise that the 'guarantee' of drafting a player who will contribute long-term increases the closer you get to the top of the lottery.

---

PS: you actually studied 13 seasons, not 12 (2000-2012 inclusive), so I'm not sure if that impacts your math at all...
      Touche, but we can probably drop 2012 for now anyway. Overall difference would likely be 1% for total flame-outs.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Re-did the math after CRF's post. Total changes to 16% and lotto picks to 12%.

Comment

Nice bit of work. I wonder how many picks in the bottom half of the draft are still in the league 5 years later?

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            Nice bit of work. I wonder how many picks in the bottom half of the draft are still in the league 5 years later?
            Haha feel free to use the link and find out. You can easily switch the search field from 1st to 2nd rounders.

Comment

Meh...Jim Boeheim says some random shit.

Didn't he basically slag all the top prospects in this draft at the beginning of the year?

I don't read much into anything he says. I also saw a quote somewhere on the net this week from an "NBA executive" that he would take Tyler Ennis as a starting PG over Kyrie Irving today.

Boeheim's public statements often seem very "agenda" oriented to me. Saying all the top lotto prospects are overrated and none will be NBA franchise players (pretty sure that was the gist of what he said) is a way for him to basically excuse himself from failing to land any of them. And saying Ennis should stay is his way of saying his program (not Ennis' career necessarily) will be better served if Ennis stays, instead of him declaring (and Grant, and Fair) leading to a down year next year for the Orange....especially if he again doesn't manage to recruit any of the top lotto prospects next year.

Comment

Boeheim has the top team in NCAA -- recruiting will not be a problem. Also, what he said about this years freshmen turned out to be pretty accurate. The only thing I don't like is him exposing Ennis' weakness to the press. Wiggins' coach did the same thing. What's up with that?

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                  The only thing I don't like is him exposing Ennis' weakness to the press. Wiggins' coach did the same thing. What's up with that?
                  I don't really have a problem with that. The whole concept of prospects refusing workouts to hide their weaknesses annoys me. I like transparency.

Comment

Great thread.

No one really talks about how huge of a bust Johnny Flynn was. In my opinion it was one of the worst draft mistakes this decade. I think at the time the Wolves were known for drafting PGs when they didnt need them.
                    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Interesting stuff!

Comment

Here's a Grantland article that pertains to Boeheim's quote. It's more focused on Smart, but also touches on player's decisions to stay an extra year. Eh, I thought it was a good read.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/le...marts-mistake/
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Isn't the average lifespan of an NBA player ~ 5 years? It obviously changes depending on the criteria but I think that is generally the case. Here's one link I found:

http://weaksideawareness.wordpress.c...ayers-details/

So, I guess I don't really understand the point here....

Comment

Boeheim said some things to try to prevent his star player from bolting to the NBA. Ennis ain't going to check up on stats like that. He's probably already thinking "Oh gosh, I better stay one more year."

Mission accomplished, Boeheim. Mission accomplished. Orangemen for the win.
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              Isn't the average lifespan of an NBA player ~ 5 years? It obviously changes depending on the criteria but I think that is generally the case. Here's one link I found:

http://weaksideawareness.wordpress.c...ayers-details/

So, I guess I don't really understand the point here....
                              Well these averages include 2nd rounders and undrafted players who get signed to a 10 day contract right?

So those would really skew the averages.

EDIT: Ah, minimum 41 games, but still.

Plus, I think the median number of years played would be more helpful than average number for this context.
                              Last edited by stooley; Mon Feb 10, 2014, 04:49 PM.
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X