Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Bosh Will Wear A Raptors Uniform in 2010-11

1. He has a player option for a nice cool $15.8 million
    2. Salary Cap 2009-10 - $57.7 million and luxury-tax line of $69.9 million.
    3. Estimated Salary Cap 2010- 11 - Between $50.4 and $53.6 million and a luxury-tax line of $65 million.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

4. 2010 cap may limit signings

By Marc Stein
    ESPN.com Archive

The NBA's ballyhooed free-agent summer of 2010 might have quietly taken another hit late Tuesday night.

In a memo announcing next season's salary cap and luxury-tax threshold, sent out shortly before the league's annual July moratorium on signings and trades was lifted at 12:01 a.m. ET Wednesday, NBA teams also received tentative projections from the league warning that the cap is estimated to drop to somewhere between $50.4 million and $53.6 million for the 2010-11 season.

Teams have been bracing for such significant reductions in the cap and luxury tax heading into the 2010-11 season, but seeing such numbers circulate was still jarring for many team officials.

"Real scary," one Western Conference executive said.

Said another from the West: "The figures for [2009-10] are better than I expected. It is [the summer of 2010] that will be scary."

So it also remains to be seen whether James, Miami's Dwyane Wade and Toronto's Chris Bosh -- all of whom are widely expected to pass on signing the contract extension each is eligible for this summer to ensure they'll have the opportunity to test free agency in 2010 and keep pressure on their teams to stay aggressive -- will reconsider that stance on extensions. It would appear that, even if those stars continue to wait, potential steep declines in cap space and the fact that more teams will be straying into luxury-tax territory than anticipated would improve their current teams' ability to retain them next summer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4312837

5. The Raptors will make the playoffs this season
    6. CB4 really does love Toronto.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

I've often thought that considering the whole cap decline issue that maybe Bosh and Wade might be smarter to exercise their option and hope the cap goes back up next year. Sure the down side is you may have a career ending injury and get screwed out of 9figures but hell that could happen this year too. I asked Doug Smith about this yesterday and he said 99.9999% no chance. I guess we'll see...
    limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Comment

Prophet2k wrote: View Post
      I've often thought that considering the whole cap decline issue that maybe Bosh and Wade might be smarter to exercise their option and hope the cap goes back up next year. Sure the down side is you may have a career ending injury and get screwed out of 9figures but hell that could happen this year too. I asked Doug Smith about this yesterday and he said 99.9999% no chance. I guess we'll see...
      If the cap decreases to what it is projected to decrease, the first year salary for a maximum player will be 16.08M instead of 17.31M (not counting the Bird increase), to me there's not enough reward there to undertake the risk.

Comment

Guessing about what the cap will, or won't be is just that, guessing. $50 to $53 million is still a wide gulf between, and I am fairly confident that if Chris has not already made up his mind to go, this team, as its been looking in its last 15 games is going to convince him to stay.

Comment

But if he is gonna stay he can turn a six year max contact into a seven year deal, six year slightly higher max with the first year paying him a tidy 15.8 million and still the flexibility to become a free agent after the first year or trade & sign and trade scenarios.
          limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Comment

I thought the option was for $17m. No matter, won't happen

Current CBA lets players re-sign for 105% of their last years contract + raises - no matter what the CAP #. Big risk that this provision does not survive the next deal so everyone who can will sign new deals or extensions before this CBA expires!!!
            The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Working...
            X