PJ Carlesimo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PJ Carlesimo

After working as an analyst for TNT during the 2009 NBA Playoffs and for Westwood One radio during the 2010 NCAA tournament, P.J. returned to the sidelines this season. He was an assistant coach on Jay Triano's staff with the NBA's Toronto Raptors.

"I was enjoying the TV and the radio when I was doing that. But I still enjoy coaching," P.J. said.

"Jay's a good friend. I knew they were young and starting over, so it was kind of an interesting opportunity."

Even though the Raptors only won 22 games this season, P.J. said he is enjoying his time in Toronto. For one thing, it brought him back to the east coast and enabled him to reconnect with his family. All of his previous NBA jobs involved coaching Western Conference teams - Portland, Golden State, San Antonio, Seattle, Oklahoma City.

Still, if the chance presented itself, P.J. would not mind becoming a head coach again.

"I have one more year there (on my contract) and then I'll see what happens," P.J. said.]

He was fired from his last NBA head coaching job with Oklahoma City in November 2008 after 1-12 start. Now, the Thunder are in the NBA playoffs and P.J. is glad for them.

"The thing that you seldom get a chance to do in our league is see a rebuilding situation through," P.J. said. "Usually after a 50-, 60-loss season, somebody else takes over. Don't get me wrong. I'm happy for Scotty (Brooks); he was my assistant. The rest of our staff is still there. But it's a great organization, it's well-run and the people of Oklahoma City are really supportive. I'm happy for them."

Read more: http://thetimes-tribune.com/sports/p...#ixzz1LfdxLh1t
    I don't think the next permanent head coaching gig will be in Toronto. Lots of if's coming up: if BC is back then JT will be back, in my opinion. If JT or the Raps are not showing progress next year then PJ could be an interim-head coach.

There has to be something learned from the Thunder regarding coaching.

Comment

j bean wrote: View Post
      There has to be something learned from the Thunder regarding coaching.
      Regarding coaching or regarding the patience it takes to rebuild? My first impression was that the Thunder would have been just as good if PJ had stayed; the players just got better. Its always a political move to fire a coach. It's so the GM can pass off the blame. Keep JT, let him work with the youth.

Comment

I like that you highlighted the 50-60 loss season part.

That speaks volumes as in most organizations after that kind of season change is made on numerous fronts.

In Toronto we're talking about picking up coaching options and extending the General Managers contract.

Comment

Am I the only one that doesn't care for PJ? What's he done exactly?
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
            Regarding coaching or regarding the patience it takes to rebuild? My first impression was that the Thunder would have been just as good if PJ had stayed; the players just got better. Its always a political move to fire a coach. It's so the GM can pass off the blame. Keep JT, let him work with the youth.
            If my memory serves correct, I think one of the 1st things Scott Brooks did was move KD to the 3 and Jeff Green to the 4. PJ had em playing the 2 and 3 respectively. Right after the change it made you wonder why the hell PJ was playing that way.
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
              Am I the only one that doesn't care for PJ? What's he done exactly?
              Not much in the last decade because he's always been on a rebuilding club. The Warriors, Sonics/Thunder teams he coached were not highly talented clubs. When he was coaching the Blazers in the 90's he had much better results but even those teams weren't spectacular. For a moment, assuming Coalngelo stays and history is an indication of the future then if Jay isn't asked back either Alex or PJ is the next head coach of the Raptors. Book it.

Comment

Working...
              X