Positives from the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positives from the Year

There are a lot of posts going up about how to fix the team, players we hate, etc. I'm getting kind of sick of it because I think things are way out of proportion, especially when you take into account that most of who we thought would be primary scorers have sucked or been injured this year.

This post isn't about all of that. It's about good things we can pull out of this year and take into next season. I believe this is how a GM needs to look at a team and move forward.

Some of the positives I see coming out of this year are:

1) The development of DeMar DeRozan. He knows he can't shoot 3's and doesn't and works hard to take it to the rack. He's not perfect at it yet but he has improved greatly over the coruse of the season. I wouldn't be surprised to see him work on his outside shot this summer.

2) Ed Davis. Someone said that he was the biggest steal in the draft, I may not agree to that extent, he might be the 2nd, but I digress. He's a smart player who does all the things you'd like to see your big man do. He needs to bulk up and when he does he could have a Perkins type of presence, shot blocking and strong post defender.

3) The improved Amir Johnson. He struggled with his fouls earlier in the season but he's been a beast lately. He's got a jumper that he knocks down regularly and has developed enough to take his man off the dribble. He's got some heart and could be a great leader on this team.

Post other positive things you see moving forward!

How about two 1st round draft picks and thus, the influx of even more young talent. Colangelo has yet to draft a bust in the 1st round while in Toronto and contrary to the league wide misconception, he drafts the best player on the board. His last two 1st rounder are from America. It would seem in the early stages that he got good bang for his buck on both and I am confident he'll find two more in this coming draft where ever he may be selecting. Drafting has alway been one of his greatest strengths.

Comment

This is a great thread. Despite the record and the losing streak there have been positives. Like you said DD, Davis, Amir but also:

4) Acquisition of Bayless.

5) Young players getting experience and an opportunity to play and show what they can and can't do. The can't is kind of negative but it gives an indication of who is dead weight and not needed moving forward.

6) They are going to have a high draft pick that will surely address one of their needs.

7) Calderon has played more like the Calderon who got the big extension versus the bag of brittle bones and lax ligaments.

Comment

1. The January version of Derozan.
        2. Amir Johnson.
        3. The emergence of a rebuilding plan.
        4. A top 5 draft pick.
        5. The coming CBA fiasco which might allow a team like Toronto to rebuild more quickly.
        6. Only a couple more months of Jay Triano.
        7. Watching Barbosa instead of Turkoglu.
        8. Barg's 42-pt night at MSG.
        9. More free time to play golf during the NBA playoffs.
        10. No longer have to sift through the RealGM swamp to talk Raps.

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
          2) Ed Davis. Someone said that he was the biggest steal in the draft, I may not agree to that extent, he might be the 2nd, but I digress. He's a smart player who does all the things you'd like to see your big man do. He needs to bulk up and when he does he could have a Perkins type of presence, shot blocking and strong post defender.
          I think Ed Davis will be a lot better than Perkins. Because not only is he good defensively, and has high IQ. But he has a very high ceiling, is very complete and actually has offensive game. His left hook is quite good now, and could become deadly. His shot-blocking skills are great, and his court awareness on defense is very encouraging, especially for his age.

Comment

Not many may agree, but I'd say Calderon's revival. He is running the offense very well, is more 'daring' with his passes which has added a dimension to his play. He is also playing passable defense - not just a pylon out there. Actually, I'd say his defense warrants some recognition, positive that is.

So, most of those that would agree about Calderon's improved instantly say trade him. I say don't.

Even when rebuilding, you need steady veterans. Calderon isn't going to rock the boat about sharing minutes with developing players. We need a steady PG going forward to smoothly run the offense, which will make the learning of other young players that much better. JC isn't going to gripe about being in TO or the rebuilding process either - he'll be that professional guy. He is not going to force his short or look to bolster his own play. He really will get others involved and teach them the ropes...just look at the JC and Amir meshing well together.

Is his salary high? Yes, definitely, but its not a backbreaker. But I look at it as partially being an assistant coach on the floor. Many would say trade him, but unless we get a stellar return, then I'd hold on to him to help lead and groom the incoming youngin's. For now, hang on to him - we're not looking to take his salary and spend it elsewhere right now (we all know how much TO has to pay through the nose to bring in premier FA's), and we have enough salary room to keep bringing in or trading for 'smaller' projects, like a Bayless or a guy like Kelenna Azubuike (who I really think the Raps should take a shot in the off-season).

Further down the line, when his contract is close to expiring, then trade him. This way we get the best of both worlds: Jose's guidance through the rebuilding process, then trading him to acquire another piece to the (hopefully) rebuilt Raps. A steady verteran PG with an expiring contact will catch a lot of interest - we'll get our 'moneys' worth for Jose in the end.

Comment

I would disagree with the Bayless as a positive - if anything it is a lateral, or blah move at best.

I would also highlight that it is good to see that Sonny Weems is not a saviour for this team moving forward. It is a negative, that will ultimately turn out to be a positive. He shouldn't be given these minutes next year (if he is brought back on a one year, near minimum salary contract). He can and should be developed as a role player, starting him just makes his head bigger and shot selection worse.

Triano needs to find a way to define clear roles for these guys moving forward. I wonder what Sam Mitchell is thinking about Triano keeping his job after all of this?

Comment

ovrproof wrote: View Post
                I would disagree with the Bayless as a positive - if anything it is a lateral, or blah move at best.

I would also highlight that it is good to see that Sonny Weems is not a saviour for this team moving forward. It is a negative, that will ultimately turn out to be a positive. He shouldn't be given these minutes next year (if he is brought back on a one year, near minimum salary contract). He can and should be developed as a role player, starting him just makes his head bigger and shot selection worse.

Triano needs to find a way to define clear roles for these guys moving forward. I wonder what Sam Mitchell is thinking about Triano keeping his job after all of this?
                Raptors came into the season with no expections and with young players with little to no EXP. All the trades so far have only made the team that much younger. When you factor in the face the players are playing hard for Triano, lack of exp and injuries it's not hard to see Triano isn't the prob and why he isn't/hasn't gotten fired.

Comment

Nice thread.

Def DD, Amir, and Ed Davis.

We learned Bargs is a 2nd banana at best.
                  Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Amir Johnson. Hands down.
                    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

the departure of Jack was the best positive this season
                      NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

I agree with a lot of what's being said here. The talk of Amir being overpaid has fallen to a whisper and he, Ed and Demar and clearly the core of what I want this time to be over the next few years. I'm still waiting to see what Bayless evolves into. The consistency is not there yet but I like our youngs and the feeling that there is a solid core of guys who are going together as individuals, players and hopefully as a team. The ceiling on these guys is pretty high from what I can tell. There has been amazing grit in the victories over Dallas and Orlando on the road and it is just a matter of bringing that a little more. As for Jay, I'd be happy to see him continue to grow with the team as everyone gets more experienced. If he is not growing as a coach or the team tunes him out, though, then the realities of coaching will be what they are. That would go for anybody, [cough, Bargs, cough]. I'm confident these guys will put something special together before the season's out. Once the pressure of breaking the streak is gone, there'll be a nice stretch heading into the spring.

Comment

Positive from this year: Amir positively fouls alot

EDIT- he is also pretty good, and will be better when not injured

Comment

ovrproof wrote: View Post
                            14 and 7 as a starter, 22 years old, and still raw in terms of actual NBA starting experience. I think it is positive but I think I know where you are coming from. He has shown immaturity in his reactions, his decisions, and his uncanny ability to force a shot with teammates looking on. With that said, I still think he is a positive and a much better upgrade over Jarrett Jack.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              14 and 7 as a starter, 22 years old, and still raw in terms of actual NBA starting experience. I think it is positive but I think I know where you are coming from. He has shown immaturity in his reactions, his decisions, and his uncanny ability to force a shot with teammates looking on. With that said, I still think he is a positive and a much better upgrade over Jarrett Jack.
                              Hear, Hear!

Comment

Working...
                              X