Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will happen if the Raptors trade for an elite talent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will happen if the Raptors trade for an elite talent?

Lots of talk about trading for elite talent. Threads on Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo, and trading up to get Wiggins (who is unproven, of course).

But what would it take to do that?

S&T Lowry? Maybe - unlikely
    DeRozan? Likely for salary purposes if nothing else
    Ross? If not DeRozan
    JV? Maybe
    Amir? Possibly
    cap relief in Salmons?
    2014 pick?
    2015 pick?
    2016 pick?
    2016 DEN/NY pick?

I get nervous when I hear about possibly trades like this. What happens if that player comes and eventually leaves because they feel there is no room for the team to get better?

Personally, I hope the Raps don't do anything rash - yet. I would continue looking to accumulate assets and takie advantage of the draft with players on rookie deals.

So, in conclusion, if the Raptors give up legit starter/All-Star (DeRozan), solid role player (Amir), prospect (JV/Ross), draft picks, where exactly does that leave the Raptors? Quite possibly the New York Knicks with Carmelo Anthony?

Patience and asset accumulation, please!

What do you think?

I agree. We don't have enough right now to get a star and still be competitive. If we nail this year's draft pick, then all of a sudden we maybe have another sweetener.

On that subject (not to derail your thread), I'd say if a GM is a good to great drafter, it's almost always in the team's interest to make the pick before trading it. For example Faried now is worth more than Denver's mid-round pick was worth.

Back on topic - you're right. Patience. That's MU's motto too, so I think we can trust him to stick with it. He may make some moves to improve our position going forward which may involve giving up assets, but I don't see him imposing an artificial deadline or thinking too short term.
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Lots of talk about trading for elite talent. Threads on Kevin Love, Rajon Rondo, and trading up to get Wiggins (who is unproven, of course).

Ross? If not DeRozan
      JV? Maybe
      Amir? Possibly
      cap relief in Salmons?
      2014 pick?
      2015 pick?
      2016 pick?
      2016 DEN/NY pick?

I get nervous when I hear about possibly trades like this. What happens if that player comes and eventually leaves because they feel there is no room for the team to get better?

Personally, I hope the Raps don't do anything rash - yet. I would continue looking to accumulate assets and takie advantage of the draft with players on rookie deals.

So, in conclusion, if the Raptors give up legit starter/All-Star (DeRozan), solid role player (Amir), prospect (JV/Ross), draft picks, where exactly does that leave the Raptors? Quite possibly the New York Knicks with Carmelo Anthony?

What do you think?
      I would add to your discussion, but I already 100% unequivocally agree. We have amazing chemistry at this point, and you don't disrupt that for a quasi-star. If lowry leaves, you reevaluate all that, but as of right now, we're not as far back as most would believe. We've kept pace with miami since gay left basically, and yes I know they're still much better, but they're not light years better, which is saying something.

My point being, I trust this scouting department we have in place. Four firsts in the next 3 years, hopefully two can pan out and turn into great players. Internal growth, adding great complimentary pieces could turn us into the next indiana/portland. That's where I want to be, because lebron james and chris paul aint coming to canada.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

To add to that, there's very few stars in this league that you should gut your roster for when you have a 50 win team (which we for all intents and purposes have). The list may be as short as lebron james and kevin durant. After that, you risk setting the franchise back years and as matt said turning into the knicks.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

We're not anywhere near the point where we're looking at moving assets to bring in a superstar...

I'm not even sure we'll have to move any major assets. By the time the elite players are available we will have hopefully built a team / culture / brand that players want to play for.

Right now we're in rebuild mode. The playoffs are an added bonus and a step forward in the building but at the end of the day, outside of experience, it don't mean swizzle.
          Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
          Because its 2015

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
            To add to that, there's very few stars in this league that you should gut your roster for when you have a 50 win team (which we for all intents and purposes have). The list may be as short as lebron james and kevin durant. After that, you risk setting the franchise back years and as matt said turning into the knicks.
            Just a comment on this, which I assume is somewhat inspired by the NYK fiasco - they'd have been fine if they hadn't signed Amare. That was the mistake, not gutting their roster for Melo.

Eh, I guess the mistake was doing both of those moves - one or the other. Both was just retarded, and it ended up even worse than expected when Amare forgot how to play.
            "Bruno?
            Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
              We're not anywhere near the point where we're looking at moving assets to bring in a superstar...

I'm not even sure we'll have to move any major assets. By the time the elite players are available we will have hopefully built a team / culture / brand that players want to play for.

Right now we're in rebuild mode. The playoffs are an added bonus and a step forward in the building but at the end of the day, outside of experience, it don't mean swizzle.
              Rumours are just that - rumours.

But those Rondo whispers had me scared.

Comment

I agree as well. There is really no reason to do anything drastic. We are in a pretty good position and I believe this team can improve a lot just on the backs of Ross and JV, if they can manage to continue to refine and improve their games that is. We would probably still be short that one really good player, but flexibility is the key to getting that guy anyways.

I have to say though, that if the Raps can trade up for Wiggins without losing too much, go for it. I suggested one of Ross/DD/ or even JV plus 2 1st rounders in the other thread. That I could probably stomach, but depending on which of JV/Ross/DD were included it could be the precursor to a proper rebuild.

In any event, it's pretty f@#king awesome that this team is in a position where we, as fans, can even entertain these types of discussions. It's not doom and gloom with no way to improve for the foreseeable future anymore.

Comment

Ross? If not DeRozan
                  JV? Maybe
                  Amir? Possibly
                  cap relief in Salmons?
                  2014 pick?
                  2015 pick?
                  2016 pick?
                  2016 DEN/NY pick?

What do you think?
                  Depends on how much we give up. Let's say the package is DD, Ross, Amir, Lowry and a 1st for I dunno, Rondo and Green? The team's new starting lineup is still Rondo-Vasquez-Green-2Pat-JV. That's a good-not-great lineup, which gets u nowhere. We can't afford to get Melo'd.

But we can afford to do a Harden deal, which had a really good prospect, a good but not great talent, and a high pick. We don't have a high pick, but in that scenario, it would look like this: Ross+Amir+2014 Pick+NY/DEN 2016 Pick. If a star-quality player becomes available for that package, You do that trade. It just depends on the situation
                  @Boymusic66

Comment

Rumours are just that - rumours.

But those Rondo whispers had me scared.
                    Agreed. Especially because I'm not sure that rondo is THAT much better than this version of Lowry. He definitely isn't right now but knee surgery scares me. I know healthy Rondo is better than healthy Kyle in a vacuum but at this point in the rebuild it would have been questionable and would resemble a BC move more so than an MU move
                    Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                    Because its 2015

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
                      But we can afford to do a Harden deal, which had a really good prospect, a good but not great talent, and a high pick. We don't have a high pick, but in that scenario, it would look like this: Ross+Amir+2014 Pick+NY/DEN 2016 Pick. If a star-quality player becomes available for that package, You do that trade. It just depends on the situation
                      Weren't we actually offered Harden by the Thunder for JV and picks but turned it down?

Comment

Speaking of elite talent,

JIMMER
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                          Weren't we actually offered Harden by the Thunder for JV and picks but turned it down?
                          Yeah we were. I still wish we did that trade
                          @Boymusic66

Comment

I agree

In my opinion the best way to build a real contender is building from within (draft, minor trades) and then somehow getting that star to put you over the top. I think we've got some real nice pieces already, especially in Ross/JV/DD but i think there's still more work to do. Have a feeling Lowry and others will be traded draft night to accumulate pics/assets.

HOWEVER

i'd be all for trading just about anyone not named Ross or JV on the roster amd a 2016 pick for Po. i really believe he's going to be a perennial all star
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

so in short, no, unless its for Po.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                              X