ROUND 1 - Raptors vs Nets + The Refs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROUND 1 - Raptors vs Nets + The Refs

does anyone else think that we are gonna be at a huge disadvantage against a huge, hyped up market like Brookyln with guys like Pierce & KG on the other side. The league wants to see a Heat/Nets 2nd rd matchup and the refs will be the Nets 6th man on the court..any thoughts?

I'm really hoping it won't be an issue, but logically it will be. I think we're good enough to beat them regardless, but I'm preparing to tear my hair out and throw things when the refs make some ridiculous calls to keep Brooklyn in the game.

Comment

Im preparing for the worst...NBA is notorious for influencing match-ups...I hope DeRozan, Lowry & co understand that they are playing against the call, we're playing handicapped but hopefully we don't see something as blatant as the 2002 Kings/Lakers series

Comment

You don't get respect by bitching. Let the coach do that. I just hope DD and company don't let the refs take them out of the game.
        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
        Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
          You don't get respect by bitching. Let the coach do that. I just hope DD and company don't let the refs take them out of the game.
          I would argue the exact opposite is true when it comes to refs. The players who get the most calls also do the most insane amount of bitching. Have you not seen how "Shocked!" Lebron looks after every foul called on him? I think it's the guys who talk to the refs all the time who eventually get their respect and start getting calls. That's probably why it's taken Derozan so long to start getting some respect, he's too soft spoken.

Comment

I don't even want to entertain this. As Jack said on the Talking Raptors podcast, suspect officiating is ultimately no excuse for losing. If the Raptors come out aggressive and impose their will on the game, officiating will end up being a non-issue.

Comment

Refereeing is going to be a factor, but not necessarily in terms of any bias. These are two of the highest fouls-per-possession and fouls-drawn-per-possession teams in the league, especially once you remove the 'hack-a-whomever' teams that are at the top of the fouls-drawn lists. On top of that, it's clear these two teams don't like each other and it's going to get chippy. There are going to be a lot of fouls called in this series, and fans from both sides are going to claim bias. There are going to be some bad calls; that's inevitable. Fouls are just another facet that one team will 'win', by playing with just the right amount of edge.

And this is where Brooklyn's playoff experience gives them an advantage, because they'll have a better feel for just how much they can get away with. Winning the foul battle will be key, and I think proper deployment of Hansbrough is a big part of this strategy for the Raptors. He needs to be in there whenever Brooklyn has a mostly-bench unit with one or two starters, and he needs to get into those guys. He might not draw fouls in game 1, but over the course of a series, a healthy dose of Hansbrough is a good investment.
              When Brooklyn's going small, it'll also be key to limit penetration and not leave Jonas in those help-situations where he tends to pick up fouls. But my biggest concern, reffing-wise, is how much an attempted-drawn-charge-turned-blocking-call against Lowry can turn a game against the Raptors. Obviously you can't ask Lowry to change the way he plays, but he needs to be really smart about not putting himself in foul-trouble even if he thinks he's got a shot at the charge. Lowry in foul-trouble is a killer for us.
              A physical series benefits the Raptors. If Garnett doesn't have a sore back by game 3, if Pierce doesn't have a sore shoulder, the Raptors aren't playing the game right (and I'm not advocating intentionally injuring anyone here: just grind them down within what's allowed).

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                Refereeing is going to be a factor, but not necessarily in terms of any bias. These are two of the highest fouls-per-possession and fouls-drawn-per-possession teams in the league, especially once you remove the 'hack-a-whomever' teams that are at the top of the fouls-drawn lists. On top of that, it's clear these two teams don't like each other and it's going to get chippy. There are going to be a lot of fouls called in this series, and fans from both sides are going to claim bias. There are going to be some bad calls; that's inevitable. Fouls are just another facet that one team will 'win', by playing with just the right amount of edge.

And this is where Brooklyn's playoff experience gives them an advantage, because they'll have a better feel for just how much they can get away with. Winning the foul battle will be key, and I think proper deployment of Hansbrough is a big part of this strategy for the Raptors. He needs to be in there whenever Brooklyn has a mostly-bench unit with one or two starters, and he needs to get into those guys. He might not draw fouls in game 1, but over the course of a series, a healthy dose of Hansbrough is a good investment.
                When Brooklyn's going small, it'll also be key to limit penetration and not leave Jonas in those help-situations where he tends to pick up fouls. But my biggest concern, reffing-wise, is how much an attempted-drawn-charge-turned-blocking-call against Lowry can turn a game against the Raptors. Obviously you can't ask Lowry to change the way he plays, but he needs to be really smart about not putting himself in foul-trouble even if he thinks he's got a shot at the charge. Lowry in foul-trouble is a killer for us.
                A physical series benefits the Raptors. If Garnett doesn't have a sore back by game 3, if Pierce doesn't have a sore shoulder, the Raptors aren't playing the game right (and I'm not advocating intentionally injuring anyone here: just grind them down within what's allowed).
                In summary, hansbrough break kg back and punch paul in the shoulder

And we got ourselves a wictory baby
                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                  Primer wrote: View Post
                  I would argue the exact opposite is true when it comes to refs. The players who get the most calls also do the most insane amount of bitching. Have you not seen how "Shocked!" Lebron looks after every foul called on him? I think it's the guys who talk to the refs all the time who eventually get their respect and start getting calls. That's probably why it's taken Derozan so long to start getting some respect, he's too soft spoken.
                  I think for game one the players should be respectful. If the whistles go badly, Casey should nail them to the cross, depending on the game, even get tossed.

Put the pressure on them to call it fair, after that we should work the refs hard.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post

Couldn't agree more! Very good analysis.

Call me naive, but I don't think the refs will have any bias. Like octothorp alluded to, both teams are very apt at drawing fouls (7th and 8th since Jan 1 in FTA Rate) and also committing them (3rd and 6th) .

The key will be dictating the physicality. Hansbrough is key for this, but Demar and Lowry also must make efforts to get to the line. The Net are an average fouls shooting team, so if the FT's are even, we'll have the advantage.

Also, without looking at the numbers, I think the Raps actually had the FTA advantage head to head against Brooklyn. I know the playoffs are a different beast, but, all things equal, I expect free throws should be even in the series. Hopefully the zebras don't make me look like a fool.
                    Last edited by Jack_Bauer; Thu Apr 17, 2014, 07:22 PM.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                      I think for game one the players should be respectful. If the whistles go badly, Casey should nail them to the cross, depending on the game, even get tossed.

Put the pressure on them to call it fair, after that we should work the refs hard.
                      I can't wait for the post-game mind games. Casey: "We expected the refs to favour Brooklyn. It's another obstacle we have to overcome."
                      Last edited by Jack_Bauer; Thu Apr 17, 2014, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Jack_Bauer wrote: View Post
                        I can't wait for the post-game mind games. Casey: "We expected the refs to favour Brooklyn. It's another obstacle we have to overcome."
                        He could get fined for saying that.

Comment

I just hope our speed over the nets mean they have to foul to stop us in a obvious way that even the most corrupt ref needs to blow that whistle or be exposed for the favoritism the nba tends to show ever so subtly

Comment

Jack_Bauer wrote: View Post
                            Can't imagine Casey ever saying this. I don't often pay close attention to Casey's robotic post game pressers so I could be wrong, but he usually doesn't criticize the refs at all I thought. Even the laugher in Sacramento he refused to bite. Of course the stress of the playoffs could change this though.

Comment

agree with BigCamB ... ujiri and casey seem like no excuses type of people so I don't see him to be the whiny about things not going their way ... unless its so bad, that the nba would have to apologize like they did a few times last year ... it would have to be that bad

Comment

Working...
                              X