With playoffs comes bandwagoners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With playoffs comes bandwagoners

I'm sure this has been addressed already, but I really needed to tell someone about this (and my girlfriend knows nothing about basketball, and all my friends are hockey heads) so I thought I'd turn to RR.

I was at a bar watching last nights game, and got talking ball with another guy. I talked about how valuable Lowry has been, how terrible that New York trade would have been, and expressed my concern over the Raptors lack of bench production. This guy tells me our bench is fine, because we have Jose Calderone and he's one of the best bench guards in the league. At this moment, I realized I was talking to a fair weather fan/bandwagoner/ Leafs-fan-turned-Raptors-fan-because-the-Leafs-still-suck.

Throughout the rest of the game, I had to listen to this guys protests to the officiating, talks about Demar being as good as Raptors era Vince Carter, and the Celtics not playing Paul Pierce "because I'm pretty sure he's injured, he's old".

He even had the audacity to contest a few things with me... and I'm day 1 Raptors junkie! THE NERVE. If you can't tell me who JYD is, I don't want to hear it!

I just want to know how other fans are feeling when this sort of thing happens and will continue to happen more and more. Watching the game from home because seats sold out to a bunch of girls taking selfies at the game, putting up with your hockey buddies give their thoughts on the team while just months earlier, they criticized basketball as being "run down the court, shoot, run back down the court, shoot - just watch the last quarter"

This makes me a Raptors Hipster, I know, I just want to hear how others have dealt with this.
    Last edited by kylemachanweber; Sat Mar 29, 2014, 11:35 AM.

How do I deal with it? I stop socializing with people like that

Comment

who cares. good. i'm glad more people enjoy the raptors.
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Quit being a snob!
        You should kindly correct any innocent mistakes he may have made, help to educate him on the team (and the game if he needs it) and Welcome him to the Raptors Fanbase! Duh!

Oh, and welcome to the Board!!

Comment

Seriously?! You are no different then a star trek geek who gets angry that the new Star Trek movies appeals to new audience because you were a hardcore fan when the franchise was losing money. At the end of the day just be glad that thanks to wider support this thing can continue becoming a success and does not only belong to those who eat & breath star trek 24/7.

and yes I am a Raptors geek, just like everyone in this forum.

Comment

The only problem I have with it is that it'll make vying for playoff tickets harder.

Other than that, we should be welcoming them with open arms. If they care enough to watch the game at a bar, then they'll probably care enough to learn more about the team.
            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I usually have no problem with it. If anything I laugh at it.

Why? Because that's how a lot of fans are across most sports. You think most Leafs fans understand the game at all? No. Lots of sports fans who don't have a clue how to judge what's happening on the ice, field, court, etc...

*Oh yeah, and I forgot to add that starting with a casual/bandwagoner perspective is how everyone starts. You have to get hooked at some point. Hopefully the Raps being good this year (and hopefully beyond) will hook some casual fans and help them seek to educate themselves on the game and the league.
              Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Mar 29, 2014, 03:06 PM.

Comment

you cant be a raptors hipster when you only have 2 posts on this board!

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                  you cant be a raptors hipster when you only have 2 posts on this board!
                  Sometimes I notice how many posts I have....and I'm both strangely proud and slightly disgusted.....

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    *Oh yeah, and I forgot to add that starting with a casual/bandwagoner perspective is how everyone starts. You have to get hooked at some point. Hopefully the Raps being good this year (and hopefully beyond) will hook some casual fans and help them seek to educate themselves on the game and the league.
                    Hopefully one of those bandwagoners is a 10-year-old Next-Andrew Wiggins!

Comment

kylemachanweber wrote: View Post
                      I'm sure this has been addressed already, but I really needed to tell someone about this (and my girlfriend knows nothing about basketball, and all my friends are hockey heads) so I thought I'd turn to RR.

I was at a bar watching last nights game, and got talking ball with another guy. I talked about how valuable Lowry has been, how terrible that New York trade would have been, and expressed my concern over the Raptors lack of bench production. This guy tells me our bench is fine, because we have Jose Calderone and he's one of the best bench guards in the league. At this moment, I realized I was talking to a fair weather fan/bandwagoner/ Leafs-fan-turned-Raptors-fan-because-the-Leafs-still-suck.

Throughout the rest of the game, I had to listen to this guys protests to the officiating, talks about Demar being as good as Raptors era Vince Carter, and the Celtics not playing Paul Pierce "because I'm pretty sure he's injured, he's old".

He even had the audacity to contest a few things with me... and I'm day 1 Raptors junkie! THE NERVE. If you can't tell me who JYD is, I don't want to hear it!

I just want to know how other fans are feeling when this sort of thing happens and will continue to happen more and more. Watching the game from home because seats sold out to a bunch of girls taking selfies at the game, putting up with your hockey buddies give their thoughts on the team while just months earlier, they criticized basketball as being "run down the court, shoot, run back down the court, shoot - just watch the last quarter"

This makes me a Raptors Hipster, I know, I just want to hear how others have dealt with this.
                      The more fans interested in our Raptors the better. Suggest friendly engagement.

Comment

I agree with the previous posters, I could care less, it's nice to see new raps fans. Though he could have maybe just admitted he is new to the game/team instead of trying to sound like he knows what hes talking about lol

I have a select few in my circle who I talk ball with, the rest are soccer heads, other then that I get my ball fix from RR and RHQ
                        Last edited by Charlie Brown; Sat Mar 29, 2014, 04:59 PM.
                        AKA Chief Rocka @ RaptorsHQ

Comment

When a casual fan that thinks Jose is still on the raptors, DeMar is prime VC and that Pierce is still on the Celtics (like the OP stated) and still repeatedly tries to argue with you...i can totally understand his point of view, it is just so frustrating dealing with someone like that

Other than that, it's fun dealing with new fans IMO.

Comment

I also hate that. When I talk to people, they have no clue about the raptors. Even when I try to explain to them, they argue. It's just frustrating sometimes, especially when there's 2 of them and they agree with each other. I feel u bro
                            I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

BigCamB wrote: View Post
                              When a casual fan that thinks Jose is still on the raptors, DeMar is prime VC and that Pierce is still on the Celtics (like the OP stated) and still repeatedly tries to argue with you...i can totally understand his point of view, it is just so frustrating dealing with someone like that
                              That's what I love about my iPhone. If ever there is a disagreement that I am 100% convinced on being right, I just pull out my phone and look it up. No need to ever get into an ignorance-based bar-debate ever again. Haha

Now, if he still insists on being right, that's when it becomes less about him being a 'bandwagoner' and more just him being a total idiot.
                              Last edited by Joey; Sat Mar 29, 2014, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X