Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State the Obvious

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...is-summer?bn=1

I think we all new halfway through the last season that Bosh was not going to re-sign, but still, seeing the signs, its still makes one iffy knowing the best player is leaving town.

BC said he conducted negotiations with CB in January 2010, did he offer him to re-sign for the max contract? coz if he did and Bosh declined, then we shouldve had this discussion back in January.

I think what the Raps need is a Torontonian, or at least a Canadian player who would take it personally if the Raptors are berated in the media or treated as crap for not being an american team. Someone who is homegrown, who would carry the team pride. I think since all of our star players were Americans, they dont have the loyalty towards a Canadian team. If Nash would commit to 2 more years after his contract, then i say we should make a play for him. Get him, Dalembert and Joel Anthony in here and we'd make this thing personal!

Well, I certainly don't think Bosh's fate with the Raptors was determined with the Raptors by January and I really don't see why you can say that. In January, the Raptors were coasting along and by the trade deadline, they were a fifth seed. At that point, it was actually looking like Bosh had a good chance at re-signing. It was what happened after the All Star break that changed things.

As for the Raptors getting Canadians, I don't really see the point. Nash will be 38 years old when his contract is done, and might be finished with the NBA. Dalembert might not be as passionately Canadian as you'd like, since he was born in Haiti.

Besides, what would be the point of a player taking the criticism personally? Would it stop the criticism? There's really not much that can be done to change the attitude of an entire country like the Unities States.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

TIm W. wrote: View Post
      Well, I certainly don't think Bosh's fate with the Raptors was determined with the Raptors by January and I really don't see why you can say that. In January, the Raptors were coasting along and by the trade deadline, they were a fifth seed. At that point, it was actually looking like Bosh had a good chance at re-signing. It was what happened after the All Star break that changed things.

As for the Raptors getting Canadians, I don't really see the point. Nash will be 38 years old when his contract is done, and might be finished with the NBA. Dalembert might not be as passionately Canadian as you'd like, since he was born in Haiti.

Besides, what would be the point of a player taking the criticism personally? Would it stop the criticism? There's really not much that can be done to change the attitude of an entire country like the Unities States.
      What i was asking was when did BC offer the extension to Bosh and if it was the max deal. IF it was offered in January (coz i wasnt sure when it was offered) and he declined it, then we shouldve had all this speculations about him leaving discussed more frequently last January because him not signing the max extension just goes to show he really doesnt want to play here.

Again, not getting my point. Getting Nash doesnt mean you have to pay him the max and run him to the ground. He is a great ambassador for this sport and would probably give more Canadians the drive to watch the Raptors since they have the native son playing in their team. Dalembert converted his citizenship to Canadian and played for the national team. Dont know how else you can describe "being canadian".

Lastly, again not getting the point. What im trying to drive at here is getting somebody who would take losing more personally, by "defending" the canadian team.

what is it today? "Rebuff tbihis' posts" day?? hahahaha

Comment

Nash is on his last contract. His back will not hold out past 38.

We don't need an ambassador for the sport. We need a winning team.

Dalambert was a cancer on the national team. Maybe that's why he was kicked off. He won't play for Canada again as long as Leo is the coach (which is a whole other can of worms)

Comment

What we need are players committed to the business of just playing basketball and not particularly about ancillary advantages (a big shoe contract), ego stroking by big media and appearance on ESPN. These would naturally occur if the "team" did well. From what I have seen an individual like Kevin Durant fits the above and plays in a bit of a desolate environment (though not their bb crowds). But alas, such are very few and far. I have no faith in a Dalembert taking the issue of being Canadian to heart, Nash is welcome but he is at the end of his great career but without a title and if traded, I sense would prefer to play in NY because that is now his off season home. Any others make no difference. Bosh I think fancies himself more than just a basketball player.

Comment

Can anybody tell me how to start a new thread. Thanks.
            http://websitedweeb.userboard.net-Introduce your website. No signup required!

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
              What i was asking was when did BC offer the extension to Bosh and if it was the max deal. IF it was offered in January (coz i wasnt sure when it was offered) and he declined it, then we shouldve had all this speculations about him leaving discussed more frequently last January because him not signing the max extension just goes to show he really doesnt want to play here.

Again, not getting my point. Getting Nash doesnt mean you have to pay him the max and run him to the ground. He is a great ambassador for this sport and would probably give more Canadians the drive to watch the Raptors since they have the native son playing in their team. Dalembert converted his citizenship to Canadian and played for the national team. Dont know how else you can describe "being canadian".

Lastly, again not getting the point. What im trying to drive at here is getting somebody who would take losing more personally, by "defending" the canadian team.

what is it today? "Rebuff tbihis' posts" day?? hahahaha
              Just because a guy turns down an extension, doesn't mean he's leaving. Wade and LeBron both turned down extensions. There's a difference between not wanting to sign and wanting to keep your options open.

If Nash signed with the Raptors in two years, there's a good chance he'd be a shadow of his former self and not exactly a reason to watch the Raptors. If you want to give fans a reason to watch (which they already do, by the way), then you need to build a good team, not use gimmicky marketing tactics that don't really help.

I'm not saying Dalembert isn't Canadian, but is he really somebody that is going ferociously defend Canada in the US press. And the fact that he was tossed from the team means he might no exactly be the poster boy the Raptors are looking for.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Mr.Grinch wrote: View Post
                Can anybody tell me how to start a new thread. Thanks.
                Hello Mr. Grinch,

1. Go to "Forums" as provided across the top-of-page
                2. Select from the sub-forum list the one most applicable to your rant
                3. Click on "New Thread" button (grey) about halfway down the screen on left of page

Write away.

Comment

Why do you think Raptors needs some Canadian player to fight with US Media, when our own Canadian Media (i.e. Feschuk) rips off Raptors at every corner?

Comment

Working...
                  X