FalseHoops: #BetterNBAnickname.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FalseHoops: #BetterNBAnickname.

Just stumbled upon this thing FalseHoop is doing right now on Twitter, where they're getting people to discuss some of the Blunders of NBA Nicknaming.

Namely:
    The Hornets and Jazz; with New Orleans being the Birthplace of Jazz, and Utah being the "Beehive State".
    The Lakers: LA not having any Lakes.
    Bobcats: Named after previous owner, Bob Johnson.

Obviously, everyone knows that the Toronto Raptors were named as such because Jurassic Park just happened to be the biggest thing going at the time.

Anyone have any ideas for a #BetterNBAnickname for the Raptors?

I always liked the "The Toronto Towers". Pretty sure there was an old CBA team in Toronto by that name. (Just too bad it sounds like a VERY lame Condo Complex.)
    Last edited by Joey; Mon Sep 26, 2011, 02:39 PM.

Considering the Utah Jazz started in New Orleans and the Lakers started in Minneapolis those names are not really a blunder, just a franchise move.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Just stumbled upon this thing FalseHoop is doing right now on Twitter, where they're getting people to discuss some of the Blunders of NBA Nicknaming.

Namely:
      The Hornets and Jazz; with New Orleans being the Birthplace of Jazz, and Utah being the "Beehive State".
      The Lakers: LA not having any Lakes.
      Bobcats: Named after previous owner, Bob Johnson.

Obviously, everyone knows that the Toronto Raptors were named as such because Jurassic Park just happened to be the biggest thing going at the time.

Anyone have any ideas for a #BetterNBAnickname for the Raptors?

I always liked the "The Toronto Towers". Pretty sure there was an old CBA team in Toronto by that name. (Just too bad it sounds like a VERY lame Condo Complex.)
      Huskies.

Hands down.

Huskies.

Name of original Toronto NBA team in 1946.

I liked the promotion 2 years ago and would love to see it brought back - permanently.

However, it is not something that will make me not follow my Raptors.

Comment

the Huskies has always sounded so generic to me.... like a college or highschool team if you will.

While the Raps name has a bad history associated with it (named due to Jurassic Park). I like it and where they've taken it. Stick with it.

Comment

Raptors is good. Makes us sound all tough. Kinda like that big black dude who walks down the street and guys would be like "dont mess with that guy".

Comment

Look at the bright side. At least we weren't named the Toronto Gumps, the Toronto Jar Jar Binks, or the Toronto Celine Dions.

Comment

"Toronto High Taxpayers"
              Last edited by e2thed; Mon Sep 26, 2011, 04:25 PM.
              NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

How about borrowing from the classic heritage of soccer teams around the world: The Toronto Basketball Club--or in short, Toronto BC. Then have a badass crest to go with it. Timeless, classy, serious
                Last edited by Chrish Boss; Mon Sep 26, 2011, 07:05 PM.

Comment

First, regarding teams like the Jazz & Lakers, I've never understood why teams keep the same name after a relocation (ie: Memphis Grizzlies), especially when the team name has a specific tie to the original home town. I think there should be a mandatory team name change for those such franchises, at least by the start of their second season in the new home town.

Second, as for our own beloved Raptors, I hated the trendy "Raptors" team name from the very start. I don't like trendy names because they always inevitably become stale and dated. I also dislike names that have absolutely no association to the home town - ie: "Raptors" would make more sense here in Calgary than it does in Toronto, due the the abundance of dinosaur fossil deposits in the area (see U of C Dinos).

Third, I don't really like the "Huskies" either. I know it was a past name of a Toronto basketball franchise and the Raptors have honored them on their third jerseys in years past, but it is an overused generic team name and doesn't really evoke imagery of Toronto/Ontario either. Unless a fantastic team name come along that is synonemous with Toronto/Ontario and would be great for marketing and loved by fans, I would just stick it out with "Raptors".

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                    Considering the Utah Jazz started in New Orleans and the Lakers started in Minneapolis those names are not really a blunder, just a franchise move.
                    Indeed, but it was a blunder to not change the name once the city was changed. It's silly.

And seeing as Ontario has more lakes than any where else in the world (I think?), and seeing as Toronto is ON lake Ontario, the Toronto Lakers would make the most sense. You think LA would be willing to part with it? Lol

I think the Huskies would be cool, in that it pays tribute to the team that played in the FIRST EVER NBA game, here in Toronto. But as others have said, it doesn't really symbolize anything that Toronto is about. Our winters aren't even THAT cold or snowy. haha

Comment

I always thought the stupidest name in the NBA was the Wizards not the Raptors. And no doubt that the Huskies would be the best choice if we were to rename the Raptors.

However, if we were to go with a name that truly conjures fear in the hearts of NBA players, I think we should think about the Toronto Incurable Gonorrhea
                      Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Ya the Wizards is pretty bad. Don't expect it to be changed any time soon though.
                        Especially considering they just changed the Jerseys to throw-back style, but kept the moniker.

The old owner changed it from 'the Bullets', because the Homocide rates in Baltimore and DC were outrageous.
                        Name didn't reflect well with the 'respectable' folks, I guess.

Comment

The Raptors need to start winning and improve our rep. Then we'll strike fear the the hearts of our opponents. Like as soon as they hear the name Raptors they piss their pants.

Comment

Chrish Boss wrote: View Post
                            How about borrowing from the classic heritage of soccer teams around the world: The Toronto Basketball Club--or in short, Toronto BC. Then have a badass crest to go with it. Timeless, classy, serious
                            Not a bad idea at all... or AC Toronto...

or we can just hope Terra Nova really takes off and piggyback on their popularity too

Comment

Working...
                            X