T-Mac: "There Are Different Reasons Why a Guy Wouldn’t Want to Play Here.”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Mac: "There Are Different Reasons Why a Guy Wouldn’t Want to Play Here.”

Regarding players (not just Bosh) one why they leave Toronto to play elsewhere.

A decade after he left Canada for his hometown team in Orlando, Tracy McGrady said he could understand why Toronto Raptors star Chris Bosh might want to return to the United States when he becomes a free agent this summer.

"Maybe he wants to start off fresh with another franchise, or maybe he's doing it for tax reasons," McGrady said Friday, before his New York Knicks tipped off in Toronto.

"I'm not speaking (for) Chris Bosh, I'm just saying (for) the individual that wants to move on. There's different reasons why a guy wouldn't want to play here."

Toronto took McGrady with the ninth overall pick in the 1997 NBA Draft, when he was still a teenager right out of high school. His ascent to stardom was only beginning when he left the Raptors after the 1999-00 season, returning home to Florida as a free agent to play with the Orlando Magic.

Bosh is set to become a free agent this summer, part of a banner crop that will include the likes of LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Bosh, who has spent the entirety of his seven-season NBA career with the Raptors, has kept his intentions a closely guarded secret.

"Some guys do it for different reasons," McGrady said. "He's been here for quite some time now, and he's personally been successful. The team really hasn't done that much."
    Source - Click here

This hurts on various levels
    1. I have always liked T-Mac for his skills as a basketball player, but things like this highlight his inability to recognize that he has not been so "successful" in the NBA as well. He says that this team hasn't done much... but has T-MAC really do more than the Raptors ever since he left? He's a perennial play-off disappointment.

2. As an ex-Raptor, especially as a player who was drafted by the Raptors, he should be more sensitive to the Raptors franchise. Yes, he's playing for Knicks and all, but there is really no need for this kind of low-blows. There are different reasons why players move on... but there are also different reasons why players want to stay.

3. Im just a sad panda with raptors' losing-streak and the prospect of not seeing Bosh in Raptors uniform next year..

Comment

Goode wrote: View Post
      2. As an ex-Raptor, especially as a player who was drafted by the Raptors, he should be more sensitive to the Raptors franchise. Yes, he's playing for Knicks and all, but there is really no need for this kind of low-blows. There are different reasons why players move on... but there are also different reasons why players want to stay.

3. Im just a sad panda with raptors' losing-streak and the prospect of not seeing Bosh in Raptors uniform next year..

Welcome to the RR Forums Goode. Nice to have you here.

Is it just me, but do players seem to have negative things to say about playing in Toronto and Canada for the most part? I mean, I've heard many compliment the city and all, but its amazing how that line that separates the two countries can leave such a distinctive negative taste in many of their mouths. It's actually pretty sad.

Comment

"he's personally been successful. The team really hasn't done that much"

Is that not the story of T-Mac's career? Bosh can blame past and present Raptors management but T-Mac, he's on his fourth team, what's his excuse?

T-Mac had a cup of coffee with the Raptors and left because he wanted to be "the man", not because of taxes. At least that's not what he said in the past...

Comment

Goode wrote: View Post
          This hurts on various levels
          1. I have always liked T-Mac for his skills as a basketball player, but things like this highlight his inability to recognize that he has not been so "successful" in the NBA as well. He says that this team hasn't done much... but has T-MAC really do more than the Raptors ever since he left? He's a perennial play-off disappointment.
          I don't think it matters what TMac has done in his career. What matters is what the Raptors have done in the 7 seasons Chris Bosh has been in Toronto, and the answer is exactly what TMac said, not much.

TMac is right, there are reasons Bosh would want to leave this summer. There are of course reasons Bosh would want to stay as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bosh walk away this summer, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay either.
          I Am Shutup

Comment

T-Mac is media conscious. Good for him.

But he really shouldn't let the media shape his professional judgement.

Comment

"I don't think it matters what TMac has done in his career. What matters is what the Raptors have done in the 7 seasons Chris Bosh has been in Toronto, and the answer is exactly what TMac said, not much."

I would have given his statements on the matter a pass normally but as far as I am concerned he has a history here and it might have been nice if he (refreshingly) said that CB should stay and help the franchise get to the next level with the new management they have here. But, the guy is in recruit mode isnt he? He would dearly like to get an extension in NY with a Lebron and a Bosh to get his sorry ass past the first round that he never managed himself as tha man....even with a Yao.

Comment

I agree with Apollo. Really T-mac, what have YOU done? In the one year he was injured in the playoffs did his team make it past the first round, and he is now basically washed up without a ring.
                Raptors fan for life....sadly.

Comment

T-Mac is Half Right About CB4

Of course there are reasons that CB4 might/would want to play somewhere else in particular.

However, there are also reasons that CB4 would want to stay with the Raptors.

That is how it almost always is. Each player with a concluding contract has reasons to resign to with his current team and reasons to leave or reasons to go somewhere else. I doubt that Bosh wants to leave Toronto for nowhere!! He will only leave if he thinks an offer is sufficient monetarily and otherwise to make him want to play somewhere else rather than stay in Toronto.
                  Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                  Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Working...
                  X