• Show
Clear All

• The Raptors and the Salary Cap/Luxury Tax

Cap figures came out last night:

Here is Raptors 2013-14 payroll via HoopsWorld.com:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/toronto-raptors-team-salary

Raptors guaranteed total: $65.324M

Raptors options total: $70.535M

BUT BUT BUT That does not include Hansbrough so tack on reported $3M.

$68.32M and $74.535M.

What does this mean for Toronto?

#1 Raps are over the salary cap.

#2 They are a luxury tax team.

#3 The Raptors tax bill or final payroll is not determined until the final regular season game of 13-14.

#4 Current Depth Chart
    PG: Lowry, Stone
    SG: DD, Ross, Fields, Richardson
    SF: Gay, Novak, Kleiza
    PF: Amir, Hansbrough, Acy
    C: JV, Gray, Camby

#5 See this post: http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post220315

#6 Raptors don't have to worry about spending the minimum 90% of soft cap ($52M).

What is unknown:

#1 Will Kleiza be amnestied?

#3 Will Camby fork over some guaranteed money to secure his freedom and pursuit of a contender?

EDIT: See phez's post:

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post219987

Will fix.

EDIT 2: See post tkfu post below.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post220065

Will fix.

EDIT 3: See post below.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post220315

Will fix.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Jul 10, 2013, 08:22 PM.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I would not call BC an efficient spender.

Comment

Ryan Wolstat: Just got confirmation too that Hansbrough signed via part of MLE, not bi-annual Twitter @WolstatSun

Comment

I think it is a given Kleiza is now amnestied. Just my opinion but here is why:

Raptors are just $1.7M from hard cap.

Serious implications with no proven backup PG.

If injuries occur, 10 day contracts count against the hard cap.

Raptors will not be able to take back very little to no money in trades.

Comment

Interesting post. Just wanted to clear up some possible salary cap/CBA misconceptions:

1. The Raptors don't have the mini-MLE. There are two types of mini-MLE, one for teams with cap space at the start of free agency who used up that cap space, and one for teams in the luxury tax at the start of free agency. Neither of those apply to the Raptors.

2. The MLE is portionable however you want. You don't have to use it all, and you can split it up amongst as many different players as you like.

3. I came out with slightly different numbers for the Raptors' current cap number than you did. I'll follow up a little bit later with the details.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
            Interesting post. Just wanted to clear up some possible salary cap/CBA misconceptions:

1. The Raptors don't have the mini-MLE. There are two types of mini-MLE, one for teams with cap space at the start of free agency who used up that cap space, and one for teams in the luxury tax at the start of free agency. Neither of those apply to the Raptors.

2. The MLE is portionable however you want. You don't have to use it all, and you can split it up amongst as many different players as you like.

3. I came out with slightly different numbers for the Raptors' current cap number than you did. I'll follow up a little bit later with the details.
            It is not what I did. I took it from HoopsWorld.com and only added $3M from Hansbrough signing.

The only contract not guaranteed is Lowry's which must be decided by July 15th.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
              Not to beat a dead horse, but I would not call BC an efficient spender.
              Very efficient for the players though!

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                Very efficient for the players though!
                Don't forget their agents, too.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  #4 Current Depth Chart
                  PG: Lowry, Stone
                  SG: DD, Ross, Fields
                  SF: Gay, Novak, Kleiza
                  PF: Amir, Hansbrough, Acy
                  C: JV, Gray, Camby
                  I don't see Q. Richardson listed in the depth chart and I'm assuming he's not factored into the total team salary? The roster is currently full with 15 players under contract, though I'm willing to bet that neither Camby or Kleiza (at least) will be on the roster by the time the season starts.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    I don't see Q. Richardson listed in the depth chart and I'm assuming he's not factored into the total team salary? The roster is currently full with 15 players under contract, though I'm willing to bet that neither Camby or Kleiza (at least) will be on the roster by the time the season starts.
                    Whoops. Go ahead and fix it, CRF. I'm gone from computer.

Comment

Here are my totals for Raps cap number. The site you quoted seems to be a little bit confused about its data; it lists Landry's cap number instead of his salary, but lists Q-Rich and Stone's salaries instead of their cap numbers. So, for the sake of consistency, and because it's what everyone except for the guy writing the cheques cares about, here is the Raptors' cap situation for 2013-2014:

Rudy Gay 17,888,932
                      Landry Fields 6,250,000
                      Amir Johnson 6,500,000
                      Kyle Lowry 6,210,000
                      Linas Kleiza 4,600,000
                      Jonas Valanciunas 3,526,440
                      DeMar Derozan 9,500,000
                      Aaron Gray 2,690,875
                      Terrence Ross 2,678,640
                      Quincy Acy 788,872
                      Steve Novak 3,750,001
                      Marcus Camby 4,383,773
                      Julyan Stone 884,293
                      Quentin Richardson 884,293
                      -------------------------------
                      Total 70,536,119

Given that it's been reported Hansbrough got $3 million, that does indeed put us in luxury tax territory at $73,536,119. That means we would be over the tax line by $1,788,119, with exactly 15 players on the roster. We're almost certainly not going to stay that way, though. There are three interesting scenarios for us to get under the tax line, and I think which one gets used will depend on whether Masai finds someone he thinks is worth giving the bi-annual exception or the rest of the MLE to.

Scenario 1: Kleiza gets amnestied. That would take his $4,600,000 off the cap, putting us under the tax line by $2,811,881. That allows a number of useful scenarios, such as cutting Q-Rich, signing a free agent with the $2 million bi-annual exception or the remainder of the MLE, and signing one more player to a minimum contract.

Scenario 2: Camby gets waived. If we wanted to get under the cap by buying out Camby, he'd need to accept a buyout of $2,489,149 or less. I don't think that's very likely. Far more likely would be using the stretch provision on him (assuming the reports that he's got $1 million guaranteed on his last year are correct). That would put his cap number at $1,076,755 for each of the next 5 years. Add a minimum deal in his place, and we'd still be $634,606 under the tax line--enough to waive Q-Rich and sign a rookie free agent like Myck Kabongo. Or it could be saved, to use in case we need to sign someone to a 10-day during the season.

Scenario 3: Both Scenario 1 and Scenario 2 happen. This would be if Masai wants to sign two free agents to more-than-minimum deals, one using the rest of the MLE and one using the bi-annual. It would leave us $6,118,899 under the tax line, enough to use the $2,016,000 bi-annual exception and the $2,150,000 balance of the MLE, as well as one more minimum-salary deal if Q-Rich is waived. I'd say this is the least likely of the three.

Looks to me like Bobby Webster, our new capologist, been doing his job: Hansbrough's deal is exactly the right amount to give maximum flexibility for the rest of the summer and going forward.
                      Last edited by tkfu; Wed Jul 10, 2013, 11:24 AM. Reason: oops: used 1-year vet's min instead of 2-year vet's min

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Whoops. Go ahead and fix it, CRF. I'm gone from computer.
                        I added Richardson to the depth chart. Have you (or anybody else) heard anything about his contract? I'm assuming it's going to be a minimum deal, fully guaranteed for the first season, which pushes us even further into luxury cap territory.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          I added Richardson to the depth chart. Have you (or anybody else) heard anything about his contract? I'm assuming it's going to be a minimum deal, fully guaranteed for the first season, which pushes us even further into luxury cap territory.
                          Yup, Newsday reported Vet's minimum, which means a cap number of $884,293. (Actual salary is around $1.4 million, the balance of which is paid out of league funds.) The Knicks are also including $884,293 cash in the deal to pay the Raptors' portion of his salary.
                          Last edited by tkfu; Wed Jul 10, 2013, 11:26 AM.

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                            Yup, Newsday reported Vet's minimum, which means a cap number of $788,872. (Actual salary is around $1.4 million, the balance of which is paid out of league funds.) The Knicks are also including $788,872 cash in the deal to pay the Raptors' portion of his salary.
                            Thanks for the update, I hadn't heard about the cash being included in the transaction. This Bargnani deal keeps getting better and better! lol

The one thing that I really like about the moves that MU has made, is that there is still so much room for flexibility, allowing him to alter course on the fly.

EXPIRING
                            - Lowry @ $6.2M
                            - Kleiza @ $4.6M
                            - Gray @ $2.7M

POTENTIALLY EXPIRING (non-guaranteed or team option in 2014-15)
                            - Johnson @ $6.5M
                            - Camby @ $4.4M
                            - Hansborough @ $3.0M
                            - Richardson @ $0.8M
                            - Stone @ $0.8M
                            - Acy @ $0.8M
                            - Valanciunas @ $3.7M (rookie-scale)
                            - Ross @ $2.8M (rookie-scale)

POTENTIALLY EXPIRING (player option for 2014-15)
                            - Gay @ $17.9M

That's quite a few attractive trade assets to work with. Even Novak @ $3.8M/$3.4M/$3.8M and DeRozan @ $9.5M/$9.5M/$9.5M/$9.5M(player option) should be considered decent trade chips. That leaves Fields @ $6.25M/$6.25M as the only other player on the roster not previously mentioned. I could see MU being extremely active at the trade deadline.
                            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jul 10, 2013, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Oh! There's actually one more thing that adds to our flexibility, that I hadn't thought of earlier. If Q-Rich is waived and the stretch provision is used, it will actually stretch his cap hit out over 7 years, meaning it would only count for $126,328 per year. That means there are some minor changes to my post above, the most relevant one being that in Scenario 2 there would still be enough space to sign anyone to a minimum deal, not just a rookie.

Comment

Working...
                              X