No announcement yet.

Let's stick to the plan; wait and see!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's stick to the plan; wait and see!

Right now it seems like everybody on this forum (including myself) are trying to find ways to trade Rudy Gay, rebuild or build a better team, etc.

I think the best option for this season, at least until 2014, would be to wait and see. We clearly have all the tools to be a playoffs team this spring, so why rush things?

If we are a playoff team, Rudy probably won't pass on a 20M$ season, and we should try to re-sign Kyle Lowry. If Augustin and Gray have a good season then why not bring 'em back too? Next season, here are the players that would be under contract:

Starting 5: Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, Rudy Gay, Amir Johnson, Jonas Valanciunas
    Backups: DJ Augustin, Terrence Ross, Landry Fields, Tyler Hansbrough, Quincy Acy, Aaron Gray

This is still a pretty young team, so if I was the GM I'd complete this team with veteran players, such as Kirk Hinrich, Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor.

Next season roster:
    Valanciunas/Okafor/Gray
    Johnson/Hansbrough/Acy
    Gay/Fields/Novak
    DeRozan/Ross/Gordon
    Lowry/Hinrich/Augustin

With this team, at best, I think we could compete for the top spots in the east. Clearly.

I'm honestly not even sure if this is serious or not....
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

"So why rush things"

In a word "control". As you noted both Rudy's and Kyle's contracts have endings at the end of this season. MU loses control on what happens to those assets the closer to the trade deadline. Unlike the Bosh situation, MU must maintain control. Extend or trade. My preference is trade....for makeover of team and long term sustainability.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        "So why rush things"

In a word "control". As you noted both Rudy's and Kyle's contracts have endings at the end of this season. MU loses control on what happens to those assets the closer to the trade deadline. Unlike the Bosh situation, MU must maintain control. Extend or trade. My preference is trade....for makeover of team and long term sustainability.
        Why should we need a makeover? And IMO Bosh and Gay's situations are clearly not the same. Raptors have way better potential as a team than when Bosh left. If Rudy decides to go, it gives us a lot of cap space, plus we have draft picks. If he decides to stay, then it's a win-win situation. Same for Lowry.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
          Why should we need a makeover? And IMO Bosh and Gay's situations are clearly not the same. Raptors have way better potential as a team than when Bosh left. If Rudy decides to go, it gives us a lot of cap space, plus we have draft picks. If he decides to stay, then it's a win-win situation. Same for Lowry.
          Sorry, I disagree.

Comment

That team would have one of the highest payrolls in the league, would go deep into luxury tax territory, and it's core roster (starters and primary 2nd unit players) would essentially be the same as this season... talk about a treadmill!

So the only changes this team needs to make, to become a guaranteed playoff team are:
            - cut Stone, Buycks & Daye (all 3rd string)
            - go into luxury tax to sign Hinrich & Okafor (2nd unit) and Gordon (3rd string)

Forget TL/MU, you're still drinking the BC Kool-Aid!

Comment

Well seriously, look at the east. Next year I don't see why we couldn't be one of the best teams in the conference with almost the exact same roster.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                Well seriously, look at the east. Next year I don't see why we couldn't be one of the best teams in the conference with almost the exact same roster.
                The Raptors are a playoff bubble team at best this season, and you're suggesting they keep the core part of the team identical next season.

Several teams also on the bubble have much better, young cores (ie: Detroit, Cleveland, Washington, Orlando, Philadelphia, Atlanta) that will only get better with experience. Plus, other teams - the ones listed and the rest of the East - will be in a position to add additional players via the draft & free agency; Toronto will likely have a late lottery pick and absolutely no cap space (to sign the 3 veterans you suggested, let alone anybody decent).

Gay, DeRozan and Lowry all have room to improve their efficiency and consistency, but that alone won't help this team become an Eastern Conference contender, even if Valanciunas, Ross and the 2014 1st round pick (who is missing from your depth chart, BTW) all take significant steps forward.

I understand taking a 'wait and see' approach this season, up to the all-star break, or possibly even into the draft. What you're suggesting, however, is simply mind-boggling.

Comment

The wait and see approach that MU is employing is done so he can determine the trade values of most of our core players. It would have been foolish for the guy to scrap the team when he got hired because he would not have gotten the best returns on guys like Gay and Lowry. Plus, MU probably recognized the possibility that this team could make the playoffs, and how much that would please the fans if this club could achieve that goal. So, MU expresses in the media this "wait and see" approach. Do not be fooled into thinking that MU is gonna ride BC's lineup, regardless of how successful this team is, he is gonna make significant changes. It could come into the form of a single trade or multiple trades, but be rest assured it is gonna happen, and it will happen before the draft IMO.

Comment

"Let's stick to the plan"

Aren't we assuming that waiting and seeing is the plan? It seems like Masai has been intentionally vague so as not to reveal what his true plan actually is.

Comment

#TearItDown
                      "Masai WILL win us a championship"
                      - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Comment

Working...
                      X