Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chris Paul Trade Rumors: The final deal (#133)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Paul Trade Rumors: The final deal (#133)

Good luck with that, Chris.
    @sweatpantsjer

The Knicks have nothing to offer. They should tell him to go to hell. Teams need to stand up to this crap. It's better to do nothing and let him walk than to cave and get nothing in return.

Comment

ya seriously i tell him to just get the hell outta here. i hate when teams get forced into trading their best player cause he's a selfish little b**** it happend to this franchise once and i'll never forget it

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        ya seriously i tell him to just get the hell outta here. i hate when teams get forced into trading their best player cause he's a selfish little b**** it happend to this franchise once and i'll never forget it
        Wrong franchise bro.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          I wouldn't call Carter a selfish Bitch at all ... he wanted nothing more than for the Toronto Raptors to be successful.
          But upon the hiring of Rob Babcock, it was clear 'winning' wass't going to be on the table. Especially when he was told they'd hire his first choice of Dr. J, who would've been great in helping to draw Free Agents (which was Carters goal).

He never came out and said he wanted to play 'here' or 'there', unlike what these guys are doing.
          Carter always loved playing in Toronto. The Franchise did a disservice to him by not trying to put the BEST team (and management) around him when they should have.

Comment

Sadly it appears the new CBA has not closed the window on star players forcing what they want. Via SI.com:

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011...s-paul-to-n-y/

But Paul could still force his way to New York and secure that five-year, $100 million contract, according to a draft of the league’s new CBA and a few cap experts I consulted. How? The steps:

• Force the Hornets to trade him to the Knicks without signing a contract extension in the process. This is the tricky part. The Hornets don’t have to trade Paul, and if they decide to, they don’t have to trade him to New York. Other teams have better assets, and Paul will be counting on those teams to bow out of the bidding if they think he will not re-sign there. Does this sound familiar?

• If the Hornets eventually surrender and deal him to New York, Paul’s Bird Rights go with him. He must then become a free agent, either by declining his player option for 2012-13, or accepting that option, playing that season and becoming a free agent in the summer of 2013. By entering free agency as a Knick, Paul would escape the limitations in years and money that would come with engaging in a Carmelo-type extend-and-trade deal under this new collective bargaining agreement.

• The last step is easy: Sign a five-year, $100 million extension with New York. The Knicks would have his Bird Rights, so they could exceed the cap as much as they wish to retain Paul.

This is the superstar-movement loophole the league could not close. In theory, this series of steps is difficult to pull, because teams would be hesitant to acquire a superstar and then watch that superstar enter into free agency; this is why teams prefer the certainty of extend-and-trades, and why the league threw some obstacles onto that path. But the uncertainty of free agency vanishes if Paul tells the Knicks, “Don’t worry, I guarantee I will re-sign with you if you trade for me, keep Melo and Amar’e and allow me to slip into free agency for a token minute.”
            The NBA tried to restrict that movement to the degree that it could, and it will be successful in some cases; the new rules for post-rookie maximums and “designated players” make it even less likely Derrick Rose, Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook or Blake Griffin will wear a new uniform over the next half-dozen years. The extend-and-trade and sign-and-trade tweaks will quash a potential transaction or two at some point.

But Paul and Howard — and Deron Williams, too — are proving you cannot defeat the leverage of superstars with tweaks.
            Unfortunately the only way to end this to call his bluff and do exactly what Apollo said in post 2.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Sadly it appears the new CBA has not closed the window on star players forcing what they want. Via SI.com:

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011...s-paul-to-n-y/

Unfortunately the only way to end this to call his bluff and do exactly what Apollo said in post 2.
              it is also the perfect time to do it because the league owns the team.

Comment

Oh wait, now he's saying he didn't demand a trade... Right. I guess he found out they're not willing to rush a trade and so now he needs to pour on the bullshit to keep the fans at bay while he sneaks behind them to firmly lodge the knife in their collective back.

Potentially in a fitting bit of justice, Deron Williams isn't willing to extend with the Nets. I hope he totally screws them over. The teams who are potentially getting these stars before FA need to see that they're not safe either. By stepping up to the plate they're merely enabling the problem.

The Magic are thinking about trading D12 now before the deadline.

The Owners should have crushed this crap and now we need to wait up to ten years to see this resolved... Toronto needs to somehow find a way into the territory where players want to screw their team over to come here because we all know the problem isn't going away until it's cut out like cancer.

Comment

This "I want to play with my buddies" sentiment is as obnoxious as it is bad for the league
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I for one am shocked. Star personnel dictating where they want to work? That never happens in any sport or other industry anywhere in the world. Surely, some half-baked rule changes can be dreamed up by over-credentialed technocrats to change human nature.

Not sure what the problem is anyway. This lockout was all about money, er, I mean competitive balance and the owners wanting more money, er, I mean parity in the NBA. Now that the owners have more money, er, I mean competitive balance rules, everything will be fine as the owners roll around naked in their piles of money, er, I mean celebrate the dawn of a new era!

NBA fans, now learning what they should have learned after the last lockout, and the MLB labour wars, and the NHL lockout, and the NFL lockout...... I am so stoked for the ridiculous free agent signings to begin.

Comment

That's wrong because its blatantly obvious that the Owners didn't get the changes they wanted which would lead to a balanced product. What happened was they won on some money issues, won some minor system issues but lost on some major system issues and then tried to spin it like they won everything that was important. It was all PR bullshit after the agreement was made.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        That's wrong because its blatantly obvious that the Owners didn't get the changes they wanted which would lead to a balanced product. What happened was they won on some money issues, won some minor system issues but lost on some major system issues and then tried to spin it like they won everything that was important. It was all PR bullshit after the agreement was made.
                        But it was for the fans! All of it was for the fans! So, all 30 teams could compete and fans everywhere would rejoice. The owners, on the side of the angels, surely would not have simply used all these system proposals as bargaining chips to get more money. Would they? I don't believe it for a second. We all know that private equity funds, real estate moguls, cable companies and billionaire playboys don't really care about money and have the interests of their fans first at heart. Don't we?

Comment

Who said it was all for the fans? I get what you're doing here and I'd have no problem with your "smug-a-thon" if only it were based on fact.

Comment

Chris Paul Trade Rumors: Six Teams In Hunt (#18)

The Lakers and Hornets talked several days ago, league sources told Yahoo! Sports, but it was one of those circuitous conversations that left the sides unclear what it would take to get a deal done, and the talk ended with no formal offers. The Lakers and Hornets expect to speak again this week, sources said. The prospect of Pau Gasol as the primary player going to the Hornets won’t be acceptable, sources said. The Lakers will ultimately be willing to let New Orleans pick its player in the deal – Bynum or Gasol – but New Orleans is determined to get quality, and quantity, in a deal.

Bynum has privately been heard to say this offseason that he wants his own team, and the chances of him getting that – in New Orleans or Orlando – have never been higher. Years ago, Kobe Bryant wanted Bynum moved for Jason Kidd, but Bryant’s been insistent all summer that he still believes in this core, isn’t interested in wholesale change.
                            Source: CBS Sports

Chris Paul

FOR

Andrew Bynum, Devin Ebanks, Derrick Caracter, 2012 1st round pick and 2013 1st round pick

That would work for both teams.

Comment

i guess they're going away from the triangle offense?
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                              X