Marvel v DC: Superhero Movies Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel v DC: Superhero Movies Thread

Ben Affleck will don Batman's cape and cowl.

Warner Bros. announced Thursday that the 41-year-old actor-director will star as a new incarnation of the Dark Knight in a film bringing Batman and Superman together.

The studio said Affleck will star opposite 30-year-old Henry Cavill, who will reprise his role as Superman from "Man of Steel." The movie will also feature "Man of Steel" stars Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White and Diane Lane as Martha Kent.

The big-screen DC Comics superhero mash-up was first revealed by director Zack Snyder at last month's Comic-Con International in San Diego.

Snyder, who will direct the sequel written by "Man of Steel" screenwriter David S. Goyer, said in a statement that Affleck will provide an "interesting counter-balance" to Cavill's Clark Kent.

"(Affleck) has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne," said Snyder. "I can't wait to work with him."

Sourcehttp://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...#ixzz2cl2DG8wI
    What do you guys think about this?

I personally think it can work, but I think this could ruin any of the positive cred he's built up over the last ... since Jennifer Lopez.

I think I like Ben Affleck better as Batman/Bruce Wayne rather than Christian Bale.

I can imagine that Ben will be decent in the movie. I just hope he doesn't do that Batman voice from the Christian Bale films, excessively.

Overall its kinda of a "meh".
    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Christian Bale.

Affleck will suck.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        What do you guys think about this?

I personally think it can work, but I think this could ruin any of the positive cred he's built up over the last ... since Jennifer Lopez.
        my initial reaction was "WTF?!?!?! FUCK YOU DC COMICS... FUCK YOU RIGHT UP YOUR ASSES"

but then I thought about it for a few minutes, and completely 180ed on it..

i'm totally cool with Affleck..

most people are basing their anger on his history as an actor... Armageddon, Pearl Harbour, Daredevil, Gigli, etc...

but when you actually think about it... that shit was like a decade ago...

if you look at his recent work, dude has been absolutely brilliant... he's elevated himself almost to the point where I look forward to anything he's involved with for the simple fact that he's involved

so instead of focusing on the crap he did years ago... now i'm looking at it like this...

the director, writer, and star of the best movie in 2012 is going to be playing batman.... that's kinda awesome

Comment

Well I only compare to the last Batman, and honestly, Bale was fantastic... he won't be topped.

As for Argo....hahaha come on Heinze. Really, the best?

Ben will be ok, I admit it, but he won't be as good as bale for me...but if he is....great!!

Comment

Reading about Ben Affleck being Batman was a big kick in the balls to me. I think its a ridiculous idea. He was one of the last guys I'd ever want playing Batman.. yeah I've seen some of his recent flicks but still he just doesn't do it for me.

Wayne is supposed to be a suave playboy, kind of like Bond. He's supposed to be really intelligent yet dark and brooding. I just don't see Affleck pulling it off.. and on top of that he has to play against a younger Cavill which doesn't make sense. Aren't Clark/Bruce supposed to be around the same age?

I think they screwed the pooch on this one. I'll still watch the move since I'm a huge fan of Superman but I am really disappointed.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
              Well I only compare to the last Batman, and honestly, Bale was fantastic... he won't be topped.

As for Argo....hahaha come on Heinze. Really, the best?

Ben will be ok, I admit it, but he won't be as good as bale for me...but if he is....great!!
              Will he be as good as Bale, probably not. But does he need to be? I don't think so..

Man of Steel was, in my opinion, inferior to the Nolan Batman movies, but still a great watch... and to be perfectly honest, I don't think Zack Snyder would be able to handle Bale adequately...

And they've said it's a different Batman.. it's not the same universe as the Nolan Batman... so im cool with it

Argo was the best movie of 2012.... according to the Academy... lol

I liked Argo ALOT... but the best movie of 2012, in my opinion, wasn't even nominated (Perks of Being a Wallflower)

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                Aren't Clark/Bruce supposed to be around the same age?
                depends which timeline you prescribe to... it varies..

considering comic books absolute disregard for continuity.. EVER.. there really is no one age difference you can commit to (unless you're an angry fan boy, and are grasping for reasons to be mad)

It ranges from Batman being slightly older (2-3 years) than Supes... to Batman being much older than Supes

I've personally always felt that Batman being much older made the most sense... having had more costume experience on a street crime level in a more shady city explains his cynicism towards Clark's naïve sense of morality

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                  I've personally always felt that Batman being much older made the most sense... having had more costume experience on a street crime level in a more shady city explains his cynicism towards Clark's naïve sense of morality
                  And this is exactly the angle I believe they will be playing up...
                  And again, looking at this quote from Snyder,
                  "(Affleck) has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne," said Snyder. "I can't wait to work with him."
                  Snyder agrees.

In Frank Millers Dark knight Returns, it worked masterfully, and they've already said that this is the book they will use as inspiration. Frank Miller is already helping with the script I believe.
                  Last edited by Joey; Fri Aug 23, 2013, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Further more, I could see Affleck doing quite well in the role of "Patriarch" for the JLA, ala Robert Downey Jr./Iron Man is for the Avengers.

Comment

i'll say this much about Affleck... at his best, he's a phenomenal actor... the big problem with him is nobody can let go of the string of shitpiles he's done...

I remember, back in his heyday... I cant remember where exactly... maybe on inside the actors studio or something.. he made a joke about a conversation he had with matt damon along the lines of "I told him.. first you do a payday movie.. then you do the smaller arthouse movie for your friends.. you have to rotate them"

since the whole j-lo thing imploded in his face... I have nothing but good things to say about his work though

Comment

anyone know if this is gonna be a Justice League type thing or a Batman vs. Superman type movie?

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                          anyone know if this is gonna be a Justice League type thing or a Batman vs. Superman type movie?
                          Man of Steel 2 is supposed to be the first meeting of Batman & Superman.... followed by a Flash movie.. and then eventually a JLA movie

Comment

for some reason I chose to wear a Superman logo shirt today...

great... now everyone who passes by me thinks im a fanexpo nerd.

Comment

Did no one involved in this production see Daredevil?

Also, why would Affleck do this? He just finally got over his string of failures and did good stuff like Gone Baby Gone, The Town and Argo. Why set himself up like this?

Well, I guess Batman always trends toward camp. The good kind (Adam West) and the bad kind (the Clooneyfied horror Batman and Robin). We'll see how it goes. They should just go full on 60s with this and cast Mark Wahlberg as Superman. The first Southey Justice League, brah!

Comment

Working...
                              X