What makes Andrea tick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes Andrea tick?

As we all know, Bargnani is immensely talented but does not bring a consistent effort level night-in and night-out. That, more than talent, is what separates him from the all-stars.

Is it just me, or was pulling him out for Amir on many offence/defence substituions a while back the catalyst for his improved effort on the glass and in transition? I think it was. He has not delivered the same effort recently.

Andrea needs to be managed - he needs to be given an opportunity to shine but there need to be consequences for the days that he lays an egg... And I think Triano and Jack (as coach and team leader) need to make Andrea accountable.

What do you think makes Andrea tick? How would you get the most out of him?

Blows my mind how 1 game the guy gets 17 rebounds and the following games he barely gets 5 (drives me nuts since he's on my fantasy team too).

The clock is ticking for him to bring it together. It's his 4th year in the league. The first 2-3 could be blamed on the adjustment one needs to make from Euro to NBA, as well as getting accustomed to the city, culture, language etc.

As to what makes him tick? I dunno, but he doesn't strike me as the type of person that would obsess over self-improvement and moreso as a person that's more laid-back, go-with-the-flow. If he could get 8-10 rebounds a game that would be more than acceptable.

Maybe give him some sort of prize for every rebound he gets?

Comment

I wish we knew how to motivate him..

Comment

a bowl of pasta for every 5 rebounds

Comment

I don't think it has anything to do with motivation. It's just that he's not very (visibly) emotional, that's all. If you play well with no emotion, no one cares: think Tim Duncan. But Bargs has a ways to go to get that sort of consistency...

His off games are just that. Off games. Every young player has them, he just doesn't react differently (for the most part) whether he's playing well or not. I always think he looks pretty focused on the game (except for one game where he was playing the second of a back-to-back after tearing it up in the first of the set... but I think he was exhausted).

J.R. Smith always looks motivated, even when he's doing nothing but talking trash and throwing up bricks... but that doesn't mean his head is in the game. Actually, more often than not he doesn't have his head in the game.

And let's not forget, there's only so many rebounds... The games Bargs hits double figure rebounds, Bosh gets single digit (iirc)... Also, there are plenty of times where Bargs doesn't get the rebound because he's boxing out, allowing one of his teammates (read: Bosh) to pick it up.

Bargs is getting better every year. What more can you ask for?

Comment

Consistent effort as a defender/rebounder. I don't care whether he looks focused or not, just whether he plays hard. I don't think it's a question of basketball IQ (as in not understanding the game) but I think it is a question of motivation - he does not demand 100% of himself often enough and then falls back upon the things that come easily to him (ie. offence). He is a good player and could be a great player with some work on his fitness and desire.

Comment

Conditioning, as the Globe Blogger pointed out, his numbers drop significantly on a back to back and he plays his best on 3 days rest.

If he went into the gym this summer with mentality that Bosh did, we could get the production we need as he'll have elevated his conditioning/core strength to the elite player level.

Comment

I still believe that his basketball coaching thruout (before coming to the Raps) was "Paesano Andrea, here ball, just shoot, that is your destiny, nevermind otherside of court".

The first time (latter half of last year) when JT had a chance to get to coach him and play him he has started improving in those deficient areas...so its been about a year now...and we have seen the improvement. One more year and I do believe he will have consistent numbers...but one must understand that as long as Bosh is around he will always play second banana in both scoring and rebounding except in the odd situation determined by matchups. He is within striking distance of a consistent 20-10 which are all-star selection territory. The rebounding showsup evenmore because the team gets next to nothing from the sf/sg positions.

Comment

Hey Brian, you would be much more believeable if you spelled "Bryan" the correct way. lol
                  "Don't expect anything unless you give everything."

Comment

Dark Knight wrote: View Post
                    Hey Brian, you would be much more believeable if you spelled "Bryan" the correct way. lol
                    You would be much more literate if you could read. I added an avatar to help you.

-Brain Colangelo
                    Last edited by Brain Colangelo; Sun Feb 7, 2010, 10:16 PM.

Comment

He's almost ready to take control of the front court when Bosh leaves. Maybe next year will be the year. I think sometimes out there (of course oftentimes not) he is the better defender compared to Bosh. A couple people touched on it, Bargnani can only get so many rebounds on the floor with Bosh defensively and also playing a lot on the perimeter offensively. The more he moves around inside the 3-point line the better, I don't think he missed a 2-pt fg today. He has a lot of shots he can go to now and consistently hits those short jumpers.

nubreed, often 4s and 5s in the NBA use those 1st to 3rd seasons, maybe more to become accustomed to the NBA game period, let alone the culture and gameplay change Bargnani had.

Right now they have two starting bigs who are offense-first basically, when Bosh inevitably leaves that will open things up for the Raps to bring in a more traditional center to rebound, be a defender in the middle, and against the other offensive bigs in the league who have eaten up the Raps for years. I think Bargnani will reach a higher peak than Bosh ever will.

Comment

There's an endless number of ways you can go when you start to think about what a guy's motivations are. I choose to simply look at production. Michael jordan tried to explain his motivations in his HOF speech and got slammed for it. But I don't care what motivated him. It could have been that Phil promised him flapjacks and maple syrup if he played hard. It doesn't matter. The point is, he produced.

Bargnani doesn't produce at the level you would expect from a #1 pick, and that's the bottom line.

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                          Conditioning, as the Globe Blogger pointed out, his numbers drop significantly on a back to back and he plays his best on 3 days rest.

If he went into the gym this summer with mentality that Bosh did, we could get the production we need as he'll have elevated his conditioning/core strength to the elite player level.
                          x2

I agree that Bargs has more of a fitness/conditioning issue that needs to be worked on. He's a big guy that has no definition. I know that he has put on weight this past season and worked out over the the summer, but I don't think that he cut his body fat and added lean muscle like Bosh did. He was probably in the gym adding strength but was also carbing up to try and gain size, which isn't great for conditioning. If he goes on more of a strength and conditioning program, he could lean up, get more muscle mass and definition and probably be more of a terror in the post or on the glass without being winded like he gets in back to back games. He's a quick and agile player for a 7 footer, just think of how much quicker and more agile he would be if he lost 5 - 8% body fat and got stronger and more explosive? He'd be running the floor more and more active on the boards no doubt!

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
                            There's an endless number of ways you can go when you start to think about what a guy's motivations are. I choose to simply look at production. Michael jordan tried to explain his motivations in his HOF speech and got slammed for it. But I don't care what motivated him. It could have been that Phil promised him flapjacks and maple syrup if he played hard. It doesn't matter. The point is, he produced.

Bargnani doesn't produce at the level you would expect from a #1 pick, and that's the bottom line.
                            If he produced 20 and 8 would that be enough for a #1 pick? Do any members of his draft class produce enough for a #1 pick... Brandon Roy? Producing enough for a #1 pick is a strange way to measure a player... if the #1 isn't a Lebron it's hard to meet the standard of both being THAT productive and also outproducing your draft class...

Comment

He's playing through some nagging injuries right now - back, knees. He is also learning to pace himself for the 4th quarter, much like the whole team seams to be doing lately.

Overall, he's showing much more emotion, but it's controlled. see him elbow what's-his-face yesterday? and then just kind of drop the ball in cool disgust at the foul call? last year he would have lept around the court with his arms outstretched and then taken another 2 quick fouls in frustration.

Comment

Working...
                              X