Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DeMar DeRozan is a man on fire. Now lets talk trades.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeMar DeRozan is a man on fire. Now lets talk trades.

Alright, it's a shame I have to start this by saying I'm not advocating for trading DeMar, but homers are homers and now that I've catered to y'all lets talk basketball.

Though it's an extremely small sample so far, DeMar DeRozan has continued his preseason trend of attacking the rim at all costs, and he's bumped up his fg% along with rebounding numbers to boot. When young players show solid improvement people take notice and some of those people are GM's.

Depending on how confident you are in T. Ross taking over the starting SG role by next season, DD might arguably be our best trading chip right now that gives us the best chance at a SF. I know, I know the kid is finally showing us some of that potential we've seen in him, but if he can get you Rudy Gay, or Paul George in a package including some of our other assets would you think it's a good move? You gotta give up something of value to get something of value back right? If we can force feed T. Ross some minutes to advance his game a bit we could come out looking pretty good next season. Thoughts?

I love George, but I'm not sold on him as a "stud" wing we can run an offense through. Gay on the other hand, most definitely is.

Having a wing tandem of Fields/Gay is a significant upgrade over Fields/DeRozan (for this season).

Ross can fill in for Fields next year.

Comment

i don't know why, but i don't have the same wary feeling of Demar being a one hit (week? month? season?) wonder like i did with Bargs last year. since lowry came ive noticed a new tenacity in a few of the players, especially demar. i think having a alpha dog in the locker room has paid dividends, and this is one of those things.

i honestly didn't expect it. i had basically wrote off Demar last year and while he certainly still has room to grow hes doing things this year that are actually blowing my mind. his attacking the basket absolutely opens up the entire offense and pretty soon he's going to start getting the calls too.

if he keeps this all up, i can't believe im going to say this, he's well worth his contract. i'm not sure id trade him for a guy like rudy gay who im not sure is that much of a upgrade when you factor in his contract.

remember, we started 2-8 the last time we made the playoffs and when lowry gets back (please god let it be soon) the offense AND defense is going to really hum.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'm loving the new DeMar!!!

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          i don't know why, but i don't have the same wary feeling of Demar being a one hit (week? month? season?) wonder like i did with Bargs last year. since lowry came ive noticed a new tenacity in a few of the players, especially demar. i think having a alpha dog in the locker room has paid dividends, and this is one of those things.

i honestly didn't expect it. i had basically wrote off Demar last year and while he certainly still has room to grow hes doing things this year that are actually blowing my mind. his attacking the basket absolutely opens up the entire offense and pretty soon he's going to start getting the calls too.

if he keeps this all up, i can't believe im going to say this, he's well worth his contract. i'm not sure id trade him for a guy like rudy gay who im not sure is that much of a upgrade when you factor in his contract.

remember, we started 2-8 the last time we made the playoffs and when lowry gets back (please god let it be soon) the offense AND defense is going to really hum.
          I get that same feeling about DeMar's improvement this year and that it's here to stay. Primarily it's because he's not depending on a long range shot which frankly he still couldn't hit to save his life. Good point about Gay not being worth the contract when you consider exactly how much of an upgrade he is. Gay hasn't led the Grizzlies to any success in the playoffs despite the hefty contract and stacked team.

However, it remains that DeMar's improvement alone will not put this team over the hump when it comes anything better than a 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs. Imo, it really comes down to whether you beleive T. Ross can develop into a starting calibre SG in the near future or ot. If so, then you can afford to use DD as a trade chip to get you a good SF and thus round out the starting 5

Comment

Demar hasn't hit his ceiling yet

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
              I get that same feeling about DeMar's improvement this year and that it's here to stay. Primarily it's because he's not depending on a long range shot which frankly he still couldn't hit to save his life. Good point about Gay not being worth the contract when you consider exactly how much of an upgrade he is. Gay hasn't led the Grizzlies to any success in the playoffs despite the hefty contract and stacked team.

However, it remains that DeMar's improvement alone will not put this team over the hump when it comes anything better than a 7th or 8th seed in the playoffs. Imo, it really comes down to whether you beleive T. Ross can develop into a starting calibre SG in the near future or ot. If so, then you can afford to use DD as a trade chip to get you a good SF and thus round out the starting 5
              Or, Demar can be moved to the small forward.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Demar to small forward, Ross to Sg. Who needs Gay anymore?

Lets get paul milsap for Bargs and in 2-3 years a line up of :

Lowry
                Ross
                Derozan
                Millsap
                Val

Will wreak havoc.
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                  Exactly. Everyone here knows i'm a big DeRozan fan but i'm also pretty high on Ross. Everyone knows he can shoot the ball, and he's got a sweet shooting stroke. But what i've noticed about him the most so far this season is his defence. This guy can flat out play defence. Give him a couple of years and i think he'll be a damn good player.

I'm guessing Raps will move DD to the SF position once Ross is NBA ready.

JV

DeRozan
                  Ross
                  Lowry
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

Fuchan wrote: View Post
                    Demar hasn't hit his ceiling yet
                    Very true and the fact that he's taken a big stride forward so far this season goes to show that some players are worth waiting on to mature. What remains is that we're still weak at SF. Unless you think DD's ceiling involves being a perennial All Star you may want to consider flipping him for a small forward in the hopes that T. Ross can take his spot.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                      Very ture, but he's done a great job of taking advantage of smaller SG's. He loses that advantage at SF.

Comment

To get quality, you have to give up quality.

Trading DeMar doesn't mean the team has given up on him. It just means that Colangelo saw an opportunity to improve the team.

Comment

BC will never trade demar right now. drop this talk.

Comment

DD is a keeper & definitely agreed ha hasn't reached his ceiling yet & w/ his attitude & work ethic there's a good chance he will.
                            Gay is nice to have but we dont need to give up DD
                            DD > P. George, watching 2 games against pacers george cant create his own shot & mostly a spot up shooter w/ decent defense & rebounding can't even shoot good % this season

Comment

xunknownx wrote: View Post
                              DD > P. George
                              Not sure if I agree there. George is superior in almost every facet of the game, except attacking/getting to the line. George is also younger/less experienced.

Comment

Working...
                              X