One of Dion Waiters, Jeremy Lamb or Austin Rivers, says ESPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of Dion Waiters, Jeremy Lamb or Austin Rivers, says ESPN

I don't believe the Raptors promised to pick Waiters at No. 8; most signs point to the Suns making him that promise at No. 13. However, Toronto is the only team that has worked him out and really needs a guard who can get to the basket at will.

Jeremy Lamb and Austin Rivers are also possibilities here, but from everything I can gather, Waiters is in the lead.
    IMO, Jeremy Lamb will be a massive mistake. For Dion Waiters, Syracuse players just don't impress me that much in the league, which leaves us with a guy from Duke. As much as I hate Duke, we do need a point guard, just not sure Rivers is the one, but with the #8 pick it's worth to take a chance.

There's also the Lowry flip, but I feel that's a palliative.

I agree. If Rivers has his dad's intensity, he could be the steal of the draft. I would take a chance on him. If it don't work so be it.

Comment

Profster wrote: View Post
      I agree. If Rivers has his dad's intensity, he could be the steal of the draft. I would take a chance on him. If it don't work so be it.
      A steal at 8 though? I'm not sure...Even though I like the fact that he is the son of a proven NBA player and probably has a great work ethic and professional attitude, Waiters seems like more of a safe bet here because at the very least we are appearing to get a big body who can guard his position..
      Last edited by BallaBalla; Wed Jun 27, 2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

By the way....those wins we racked up at the end of the year probably cost us our first/second choice

if we pick rivers it will be because we failed to trade up to get lilard or waiters, both of whom would most likely be of the board by 8 according to ESPN, Yahoo! and Draftexpress, and we will be forced to really gamble on Rivers.

Comment

Waiters is the safe bet. NBA body, can defend, and score at will. Quite a bit of upside

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
            IMO, Jeremy Lamb will be a massive mistake. For Dion Waiters, Syracuse players just don't impress me that much in the league, which leaves us with a guy from Duke. As much as I hate Duke, we do need a point guard, just not sure Rivers is the one, but with the #8 pick it's worth to take a chance..
            Lamb and Rivers are not good options. Rivers: 2nd lowest PER in draft class. Only 1.9 assists per 40 min. Ast to FGA ratio of 0.13!! Anthony Davis is higher. That's not a PG. That's one massive black hole. Did I mention he only shoots 33.6% from the kid's 3 pt line?
            http://twitter.com/Liston

Comment

Profster wrote: View Post
              I keep hearing through the grape vine that he has the son-of-a-millionaire sense of entitlement. "You want me to earn my stripes?... do you know who my dad is..?

if you thought we had a pouter at SG now.... yeesh

I hope they take Waiters if it is out of those three.
              "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Rivers would be a huge mistake. From the SI column where scouts give their opinion on players:

Austin Rivers, 6-3 guard, Duke: "My biggest concern with him is size. He's never going to be a pure point because it's not in his personality. He's a capable passer, but he hasn't been a willing passer. He's hard to play with, frankly, because he dominates the ball. It depends on who the coach is. I did not like what I saw at Duke. I thought he was spoiled and selfish. He's a streaky outside shooter, not a great one."

I'd much much rather have Lamb if both Lillard and Waiters are gone.

Damian Lillard, 6-3 guard, Weber State: "He's the most unselfish scoring point guard I have ever seen. He's a great kid -- a great kid. He played more like a two in college, but he played on a team where if he didn't score 24 points, they wouldn't have won a game. Who was he supposed to pass to? He has a little bit of a chip on his shoulder, like he's out to prove people wrong."

Here is Waiters for comparisons sake.

Dion Waiters, 6-4 guard, Syracuse: "I'm a big fan. He's Dwyane Wade-ish. I don't know if he's pure enough to be a two, but he's just a baller. And he definitely has a little toughness in him. The only drawback is he's a little small, but he's thick, and he's a surly guy. He'll be an East Coast version of Rodney Stuckey. I would take him over Jeremy Lamb five times a day."

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  Rivers would be a huge mistake. From the SI column where scouts give their opinion on players:

Austin Rivers, 6-3 guard, Duke: "My biggest concern with him is size. He's never going to be a pure point because it's not in his personality. He's a capable passer, but he hasn't been a willing passer. He's hard to play with, frankly, because he dominates the ball. It depends on who the coach is. I did not like what I saw at Duke. I thought he was spoiled and selfish. He's a streaky outside shooter, not a great one."

I'd much much rather have Lamb if both Lillard and Waiters are gone.

Damian Lillard, 6-3 guard, Weber State: "He's the most unselfish scoring point guard I have ever seen. He's a great kid -- a great kid. He played more like a two in college, but he played on a team where if he didn't score 24 points, they wouldn't have won a game. Who was he supposed to pass to? He has a little bit of a chip on his shoulder, like he's out to prove people wrong."

Here is Waiters for comparisons sake.

Dion Waiters, 6-4 guard, Syracuse: "I'm a big fan. He's Dwyane Wade-ish. I don't know if he's pure enough to be a two, but he's just a baller. And he definitely has a little toughness in him. The only drawback is he's a little small, but he's thick, and he's a surly guy. He'll be an East Coast version of Rodney Stuckey. I would take him over Jeremy Lamb five times a day."
                  Forgot the Lamb piece.

Jeremy Lamb, 6-5 guard, UConn: "That kid can really play. His facial appearance and body language makes it appear that he doesn't care, but he does. His body is no worse than Rip Hamilton's was. When he played for the under-19 team in Lithuania, it was a tough final game, and he was the best player on the floor. It wasn't even close. He had a tough year at UConn, but it's not his fault."

Comment

Please Dion.

Lamb is as good as he wants to be. It's all an effort issue with him.

Rivers is NOT a PG. Hard to say which I'd take over Lamb or Rivers. I think Casey could probably bring out the potential in Lamb.
                    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

If Rivers had any other last name, would he even be in the lottery? The first round even? His stats are brutal, on a team that didn't do very well. He's undersized and he absolutely dominates the ball. He's like Jordan Crawford with less skill and a bigger ego -- if it wasn't for his dad, I don't think we'd even be talking about him right now.

Comment

Dont get all the hoopla surrounding waiters? I was looking at videos of him and rivers, and rivers seems to have more fluidity in thier overall moves, yes, waiters seems to be the stronger but rivers is quicker going to the basket. People say Rivers ISNT a PG, but, westbrook and d-will were also sg's in college werent they not? Im not saying rivers is going to be that kind of player, i'm saying he could be. Rivers under calderon's wing could end up a really good pg and be the gem in this draft. I mean he already has better handles the 99% of all the raptors and he isnt shy of taking the big shots. I woudnt be dissapointed if we nabbed Waiters or Lillard but, i just think Rivers will end up being top 3 in this draft (talent wise) paired with Jonas we might have a great tandem in the near future.

Comment

Yeah I'm sure Rivers is a Duke pr!ck, but that's kind of why I like him. Also the whole 'Do you know who my dad is?" attitude would just be a quick way to receive a NBA paddling from other players in the league. Act like a b!tch, get treated like one.

Waiters, I don't really know enough about him, but I'm hearing good things. Same with Lamb, but he looks like he's going to sleep one out everytime I see him AND he looks too much like Chris Jeffries that I can't be convinced to take the chance on him.

I'm still thinking/hoping/preying Lowry is our guy, despite a weird TJ Ford-ness to him.
                          i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

Comment

I can't say I'd be excited about any of these guys. But if I had to choose, it would be Lamb.

I'm not buying the Waiters hype. The guy was a fringe 1st round pick all season, and all of a sudden, he's Dwayne Wade? Please...

Rivers flat out stinks. He does nothing well. I'd feel 100X more confident rolling with DeRozan at SG.

I would honestly rather draft Drummond, and hope to flip him for a decent SG or SF.

Comment

Usagi_yo_Jimbo wrote: View Post
                              Dont get all the hoopla surrounding waiters? I was looking at videos of him and rivers, and rivers seems to have more fluidity in thier overall moves, yes, waiters seems to be the stronger but rivers is quicker going to the basket. People say Rivers ISNT a PG, but, westbrook and d-will were also sg's in college werent they not? Im not saying rivers is going to be that kind of player, i'm saying he could be. Rivers under calderon's wing could end up a really good pg and be the gem in this draft. I mean he already has better handles the 99% of all the raptors and he isnt shy of taking the big shots. I woudnt be dissapointed if we nabbed Waiters or Lillard but, i just think Rivers will end up being top 3 in this draft (talent wise) paired with Jonas we might have a great tandem in the near future.
                              I actually see the same in Rivers. He has so many quick moves and if he learns to pass he will be awesome. I still think he has more potential then all the other one and two guards in the draft. If the Raptors can get Nash on July 1st, he will make Rivers shine and show him the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X