Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Games Exclusive to Sportsnet This Fall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Games Exclusive to Sportsnet This Fall?

That's what it sounds like.

Market players recommend buying a stock when it bottoms out. If so, Rogers Sportsnet/The FAN 590 are getting the Toronto Raptors at just the right time. The No. 2 TV sports network in ratings (but not profits) is set to announce that it and its sister radio station will be the combined broadcast homes for the Raptors starting this fall. With its four regional channels jammed with NHL content, the plan is to put all the Raptors upcoming losses... er, games on Sportsnet’s new Xtra channel - which is set to debut shortly.

Expect play-by-play guy Matt Devlin to remain the lead dog on the TV game broadcasts. For the FAN, it will be the continuation of the relationship its has had as radio host station of the club the past few seasons. Eric Smith (who was whacked along with Armstrong in the recent purge) and Paul Jones will continue as the radio team.

What they’ll have to describe is uncertain. Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo ruefully described the team’s situation on Prime Time Sports on The FAN 590 Monday. With Chris Bosh gonzo and Hedo Turkgolu wishing he was, the prospects are bleak in 2010-11. The best Colangelo could offer is that No. 1 draft pick Ed Davis might surprise a few folks. No wonder the rumour mill is suggesting the dapper Colangelo might be taking his tailored shirts elsewhere soon.

But thanks to MLSE’s creative marketing, all those hapless souls wanting to sustain their Maple Leafs addiction will keep the Raptors from playing in front of the empty houses they so richly deserve.
    Source - Click here

Sometimes I think that the Raptors go out of their way to make sure nobody sees their games. They're not even going to be on Sportsnet. They're going to be on some new knock-off specialty "Sportsnet Xtra" channel.

I realize many of you are probably hard-core fans and you probably have all the sports package and all those extra features, but as a relatively casual fan it just drives me NUTS that Raps games are so difficult to find, or cost extra to watch....

.... and over the next few years they'll be in rebuilding mode and the people at MLSE and Rogers think I'm to pay for some extra package just to watch the Raps LOSE?

I can think of better uses for my money.

Comment

It would be nice to see Sportsnet pick up basketball again. I really miss all the west coast games they used to show on Sportnet Pacific.

Comment

Paradigm Shift wrote: View Post
        It would be nice to see Sportsnet pick up basketball again. I really miss all the west coast games they used to show on Sportnet Pacific.
        It's a nice thought, but if you check the article you'll see the games won't be on the regional channels. They'll be on Sportsnet's equivalent to "TSN2".

Comment

geebee wrote: View Post
          It's a nice thought, but if you check the article you'll see the games won't be on the regional channels. They'll be on Sportsnet's equivalent to "TSN2".
          Fair enough, but I will hold out hope that they still might show some late westcoast games, even if the Prime Time Raptor's games (double entendre intentional) will not be braodcast, on the regional stations.
          Last edited by Paradigm Shift; Wed Jun 30, 2010, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X