Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone else worried we're going to get "lucky" and get a top 4 pick this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone else worried we're going to get "lucky" and get a top 4 pick this year?

After watching the past few days of march madness and how terrible all the potential lotto pick players are if we somehow end up with a top 4 pick and lose out on one of the next few couple future drafts will be sooooooooooooooo awful oh my god i get the shivers just thinking about it all

what a awful year this has been
    @sweatpantsjer

ceez wrote: View Post
    After watching the past few days of march madness and how terrible all the potential lotto pick players are if we somehow end up with a top 4 pick and lose out on one of the next few couple future drafts will be sooooooooooooooo awful oh my god i get the shivers just thinking about it all

If it can go wrong it will, we will get a top 4 that will be a bust and Oklahoma will get next years number 5 that will turn out to be the second coming of Lebron

Comment

This is definitely looking like the worst draft class since the 2000 draft. But i don't think it's going to be that bad though. There's some talent in this class. Noel, Zeller, Oladipo, Muhammad, Bennett, Porter, McLemore and Smart. These are the guys that i like the are projected to go in the lottery. Not franchise players but good players.

Then there are guys that are projected to go mid/late 1st round like Robinson III, Len, Burke, McAdoo, Kabongo, Carter-Williams, McDermott, Saric, and Hardaway Jr. All very intriguing prospects.
      Last edited by The Great One; Mon Mar 25, 2013, 02:19 AM.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

The way they're playing, it's possible they'll end up with a pick. If they do, it may not be as bad as it seems. Raps. go into the off-season with a few needs to address. One of them can be addressed in the draft. Who knows? Maybe the player they pick(if they do) will become a very good player.
        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Can't get top 4, the lottery is only for the top 3 spots - any else would go to the Thunder.

The main reason I think it would be bad has nothing to do with talent at the top end of the draftboard, but with the fact that we are young enough! We need veteran leadership, as so much of our team is very young.

That's a reason the Lowry deal made sense ... we needed a starting PG more than continuing to bring in young pieces. I'd be real happy to lose this year's pick, add a PF and PG via Bargnani trade and Exception signings ... and have control of our picks moving forward.
          The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Even very weak drafts produce all-stars and near all-stars. Look at the list of players drafted the same year as Bargs. Alderidge, Rondo, Thomas, Gay. Any of those guys on a rookie contract would look pretty good.

Comment

OzRapFan wrote: View Post
              If it can go wrong it will, we will get a top 4 that will be a bust and Oklahoma will get next years number 5 that will turn out to be the second coming of Lebron
              It can only be top 3 for the Raptors. I agree that this is the year to let the draft pick go, but I'm not sure it would be that much difference between a top-3 this year and an 9-14 next year (if that's where the Raptors finish). Even if they don't like this year's crop, if they draft a top-3 player they could then trade that player for a good asset (at least a first-rounder for next year). There will be some teams sold on one of the top-3 picks from this year.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post

If we do get a top 3 pick this year (and thus keep it), I dont think thats a bad thing. Realistically, with the roster as constituted and the money we have locked up, we are well past tanking for next year. As a result, we are probably looking at a year where we scrape and claw for the playoffs. So, Ill take a top 3 pick in a weak draft over a 15ish pick in a strong draft (especially since we will have that player for an extra year)

I think thats what people lose sight of. Of course, Id rather have a top 5 pick next year vs a top five pick this year. But, I dont think thats the realistic comparison that we should be making (unless we are willing / able to gut our team now, which I dont think is happening).

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                  If we do get a top 3 pick this year (and thus keep it), I dont think thats a bad thing. Realistically, with the roster as constituted and the money we have locked up, we are well past tanking for next year. As a result, we are probably looking at a year where we scrape and claw for the playoffs. So, Ill take a top 3 pick in a weak draft over a 15ish pick in a strong draft (especially since we will have that player for an extra year)

I think thats what people lose sight of. Of course, Id rather have a top 5 pick next year vs a top five pick this year. But, I dont think thats the realistic comparison that we should be making (unless we are willing / able to gut our team now, which I dont think is happening).
                  +1

Comment

My fear is that the belief of this team making the playoffs as an 8th seed next season is as ridiculous as it was to think Bargnani was capable of staying motivated and/or healthy over a span larger than 20 games.

This team is not that far ahead of where it was 2 years ago. Just to reach Hollinger's mocked 33 game prediction (of which I mocked myself, not that 38/39 wins was a great achievement) the Raps need to go 7-5. My fingers actually hurt typing that.

Comment

Not only that, but if the combination of an already improved roster (compared to the start of the season), potential offseason moves (ie: trade Bargnani, amnesty Kleiza, who knows what else) and adding a top-3 draft pick result in this team taking a big leap forward (a huge IF), there's a chance that the Raps never have to giveup a lottery pick to OKC. If the Raps are a playoff team through the 2017-2018 season, then the team's 2018 1st round pick goes to OKC regardless where it falls - ideally out of the lottery!

The only down-side of that approach is that the team is unable to use future 1st round picks as a trade asset. However, that could very easily be viewed as a good or bad thing. If the team becomes a perennial playoff team for the next five seasons, I don't think that will be as big of an issue as it seems at the moment, when we're dreaming up all sorts of scenarios of how 1st round picks could be traded to help [re]build this non-playoff team.

Comment

We only keep the pick if its top 3, if its 4 it goes to okc
                        TORONTO RAPTORS TORONTO RAPTORS TORONTO RAPTORS TORONTO RAPTORS TORONTO RAPTORS TORONTO RAPTORS TORONTO RAPTORS #tradeBargnani..

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          My fear is that the belief of this team making the playoffs as an 8th seed next season is as ridiculous as it was to think Bargnani was capable of staying motivated and/or healthy over a span larger than 20 games.

This team is not that far ahead of where it was 2 years ago. Just to reach Hollinger's mocked 33 game prediction (of which I mocked myself, not that 38/39 wins was a great achievement) the Raps need to go 7-5. My fingers actually hurt typing that.
                          I hear ya .. but there will clearly be teams in full on tank mode next year. We will not be one of them (its essentially impossible given the guys we have / money we have committed).

As bad as this team has looked the last few games .. I think there will be a lot more "free" wins next year than this year given tanking that will be going on. Charlotte, Orlando, Phoenix, Sacremento to name a few will be going all out. I also wouldnt be surprised if a team like Minny trades Love in an attempt to start over (they are in a much better position to do this than we are)

So, add that to what admittedly is probably some false optimism that with a full year of Gay and Lowry together and a year of development from JV and TR and this team should be a little bit better than the 10th place that we currently are in the east.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            This team is not that far ahead of where it was 2 years ago.
                            Not in terms of record but it is in terms of talent. Keep in mind that BC is using the season to rebuild, therefore some holes. The holes should be plugged in the off-season.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                              Not in terms of record but it is in terms of talent. Keep in mind that BC is using the season to rebuild, therefore some holes. The holes should be plugged in the off-season.
                              That is fair enough - no doubt the talent has been upped.

However, with likely no draft pick and no cap space I don't feel confident right now.

All that could change pretty quick, of course, but it would likely mean AB and one of DD or TR are the pieces moved to plug holes (assumptions on my part).

It also doesn't help me that I personally have lost all faith in GM and coach. I hope to be proven incorrect..... like so many who capitulate at the very worst time.

Comment

Working...
                              X