Streaming Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streaming Media

So over the Christmas break I introduced myself to the world of streaming video. I downloaded an application called PS3 Media Server and begun streaming video from a portable HD, via my laptop to my PS3 without any glitchy latency or any other issues.

Don't let the name of the program get to you, it apparently works well for any devices with the ability to run pictures, audio and video via a media server; those devices include smart TVs, mobile phones, non-Sony gaming consoles, other PCs, tablets, etc.). All I had to do was install the application on my laptop, enter my PC IP address in the settings and then run the program and let it run in the background.

Next thing I'm going to do is set it up to be able to stream to my Note 3 phone. I also downloaded an android app called "Media Server" so that I can stream media to my PS3/TV from my phone. This is apparently also achievable on an Apple phone. So, it's conceivable that you could enjoy Apple purchased media on a Google, Sony or Microsoft based device.

Apollo wrote: View Post
    So over the Christmas break I introduced myself to the world of streaming video. I downloaded an application called PS3 Media Server and begun streaming video from a portable HD, via my laptop to my PS3 without any glitchy latency or any other issues.

Don't let the name of the program get to you, it apparently works well for any devices with the ability to run pictures, audio and video via a media server; those devices include smart TVs, mobile phones, non-Sony gaming consoles, other PCs, tablets, etc.). All I had to do was install the application on my laptop, enter my PC IP address in the settings and then run the program and let it run in the background.

Next thing I'm going to do is set it up to be able to stream to my Note 3 phone. I also downloaded an android app called "Media Server" so that I can stream media to my PS3/TV from my phone. This is apparently also achievable on an Apple phone. So, it's conceivable that you could enjoy Apple purchased media on a Google, Sony or Microsoft based device.
    My Samsung 5.0 Receiver/BluRay does the same thing. Samsung has a program very similar to that.
    Very cool stuff.

Comment

Is the Samsung program free and does it work on non-Samsung gear?

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        Is the Samsung program free and does it work on non-Samsung gear?

It is Free, and I'm not sure. I have no use to stream to anything other than my TV.

Comment

Though, thinking about it, I'm able to stream to my PS3 without any Program installed on my PC as well.

Comment

Pictures, movies and audio? I don't have a clue how to do it without the app.

Comment

i use the same app. Its useful cause it converts the videos on the fly

Comment

You actually don't need to install something on your PC if you are using Windows 7+ and have an Android phone/tablet. You need to install an app that can browse files though. The one I use is called ES File Explorer. With that app you can browse files both locally and on a network.

The network will be the local LAN that you are using for your WiFi connection. If you can locate your PC you can access it by entering your PC's userid/password, and you should see all of its folders. You can then drill down to the folder that contains the media (video/music/image) and view/listen to it.

If it's a video you will need to designate a video player so that it can play it. I use one called MX Player but I'm sure there are many decent video players available on Google Play.

On the PC you probably need to enable File and Printer sharing so that its folders can be accessible through the LAN. That can be done by going to "Network and Internet" in your control panel.

I also own a Samsung TV. Streaming videos from there requires something like Microsoft Windows Media Center to be running on the PC. Samsung has its own software that you can install called AllShare. I'm not a big fan of either so what I've done is just hooked up a PC directly to my TV and I use software installed on the PC to play videos. I have a second desktop PC that holds most of my videos and I stream from there.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  I also own a Samsung TV. Streaming videos from there requires something like Microsoft Windows Media Center to be running on the PC. Samsung has its own software that you can install called AllShare. I'm not a big fan of either so what I've done is just hooked up a PC directly to my TV and I use software installed on the PC to play videos. I have a second desktop PC that holds most of my videos and I stream from there.
                  You may want to try PS3 Media Server. I've had no issues with it what so ever.

Comment

Working...
                  X