Mentoring - JV and new draftees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mentoring - JV and new draftees

Been reading quite a number of posts on how the Raps should get veterans to "mentor" JV when he comes in or when draft picks come in....

Do you guys think its a good idea to mentor players right when they start their rookie year, or let them find their identity in the NBA first, then determine how they should be mentored or who should mentor them after......

Im with the latter. I think rookies should be given the opportunity first to find their game, rhythm in the NBA by themselves and later on, when theyve determined how theyve adjusted their game to the NBA, then get them a mentor. IMO, if you get a rookie a mentor off the bat, youre essentially molding him into something that he may not be what he truly is.

Often times its not to show them how to 'play' per se, but more about how to be a Professional in the NBA.
    For me, it's important to have someone there that plays the same position and that knows what it takes to be successful.
    Someone to guard them in Practice and push them around. Veterans are usually that type of player.
    If we brought in a 'Charles Oakley' type, I don't see how it would hinder JVs (or anyone elses) growth and development.

Comment

I think the idea of veteran mentorship in the case of JV and the 2012 pick should be to bring in true professionals - much like was done this season. Ideally next year these veterans would have more ability on the floor than the crew brought in this year (Butler, Carter, Magloire specifically). Instilling professionalism in a young team cannot be emphasized enough.

More experienced players can always give tips and advice but it should be on the coaches to develop players from a skill perspective.

Comment

yeah they aren't teaching them necessarily to play the way they do. They have development coaches to teach individual skills. But being a 19-21 year old millionaire has a lot of pitfalls. How nice would it be to have a Steve Nash/Grant Hill/Reggie Evans type around the locker room to say, hey we made this exact same mistake. Or even give pointers on defending a certain player. Who better than Grant Hill to teach them how to look after and train their body. Not only that if you have Hill (widely considered to be one of the best wing defenders in the NBA) guarding you in practice you are far more likely to develop offensively to beat him. There is a very strong argument for having 3 - 5 good character type veterans on a team in the 6 - 15th man roles.
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

You can never have veteran mentorship too early...unless it's coming from Rasheed Wallace, lol.

"Hey Jonas, just do what I do...tell the ref I'ma kick his ass"

Comment

It's an interesting question.

I see PG as the type of position were a mentor is most beneficial, to mentor the young player how to be that pass-first floor general type of player. That's why I'm such a proponent of keeping Calderon, to help instill that sense of calm in a rookie, as well as teach him how to involve your teammates - I see a fellow PG being much more influencial than a coach. A coach can teach the system, but the fellow PG can relate into the flow of the game type of decisions better, IMO.

As for other positions, such as JV at C, I don't think a position-specific mentor is necessarily required. Success at the C position tends to be more dependent on instinctive skills (ie: help defense and rebounding) and skills that a coach can teach (ie: footwork, man defense and boxing out). I wonder if a guy like Kleiza - fellow Lithuanian, fellow big - would be enough of a mentor for JV, to help him adjust to life in the NBA off the court.

Comment

My only concern is rookies trying to emulate their mentors and not being able to find their own NBA identity.

Comment

It's the biggest reason I was pro signing Nash
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I don't completely buy the notion of needing a mentor. There may be specific examples in the league where someone can be a good mentor (like Nash or Garnett), but for the most there isn't one, and in my opinion, one is not needed.

Heck couldn't Bargnani be used as a 'mentor' for JV and the other rooks? With JV specifically. He and Bargnani would have a lot in common in terms of coming into a league from a foreign country, being picked high in the draft, and have been asked to do quite a bit for the team right away. If one of the main reasons why Bargnani has improved this season is due to his maturation process, then wouldn't that be a positive influence on JV and/or the rooks too?

I think the best mentors are the best talents on the team. Which means Bargnani and Calderon, and possibly Demar if he keeps it going the rest of the year. Guys like Magloire, Butler, and Carter are just old timers.. they can't really influence a young rook as much as someone who gets the ball at crunch time would.

Comment

Depends. There is the on-court mentoring and the off-court. It takes a special individual to provide both and they are probably rare. With JV of course we have the additional foreign element so his adjustment takes on a more multi dimensional process. This is where I believe Kleiza is going to be quite helpful (being from the same country)...at least I hope so. He is also a "big" and knows the league/referees/opponents like Garnett etc. I think its going to be fine.

Comment

I don't feel that we need to bring in players to mentor on court skills, more for the off court stuff. These kids coming into the league need someone who has been around to guide them through the rigors of nba life. JV is a special case, since he will have a bigger adjustment in comparison to a player born and raised in north america.

In players I would bring in, Anthony Parker is the first that comes to mind. Will be a good role player that can still play. Is a good role model, professional and great family man. And from what I remember from reading somewhere, can't remember where, but he was the glue guy in the locker room that bridged the euro guys with the north american guys.

Comment

I don't think it necessarily has to be be a veteran player. I think bringing in a couple hall of fame players to be coaches ie. Ewing, Olijuwan, Kareem or any Hall of Fame big man would be awesome. Also they should bring in guy who was a great shooter (ie. Mark Price, Allan Houston Thunder Dan) to work with the players like we had with Alex English. These guys would be able to guide these players in the same type of way as a veteran. It doesn't count against our cap and we can go out and pick up some players that can contribute.

I think Kleiza will be a great mentor for JV, I hope we keep him around.
                        Last edited by saints91; Fri Feb 17, 2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Alex English single handedly gave Amir Johnson a jump shot and a respectable foul shot....why didn't we keep him?
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

To me it's the difference between having a Personal Trainer in the gym with you or just a class instructor. I would want him immediately but would be happy with either scenario. It creates the problem of finding the right mentor but would would signify a new level of player development!

Comment

bring in antonio davis

Comment

Working...
                              X