DeRozan’s Struggling Mightily

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeRozan’s Struggling Mightily

We all knew there would be times when the kid would look a bit overwhelmed and out of place during games this year but, seriously, I don’t think anyone expected it to be this often, this early.

The numbers are mostly awful: A point, a rebound and four fouls n 17 minutes yesterday; seven and seven against Miami on Friday is okay but two points and no rebounds in Utah is bad, the 17 points in Denver’s a fraud because most of them came in garbage time and he was invisible with six and two in Phoenix and a non-factor against the Clippers.

But more than the numbers, it’s the “other” stuff he’s not getting done.

There’s very little energy, his defence is lax and while there seems to be effort there, it looks wasted at time. All those little things, like running, rebounding, setting good screens, aren’t happening often enough.

I don’t think it’s time to make any drastic changes or anything – I wouldn’t even think about altering anything until at least 20 games into a season – but they need him to work harder and be better.
    What do you guys think? Do you think Doug is bang on with his assessment of DeMar so far or overly critical? I personally don't think DeRozan is playing as bad as Smith alluded too in his blog this morning. Sure he's had a couple bad games and he's defending like Moon did last season, but its 14 games in and I think Doug was reaching a little with his expectations regarding DeMar.

What do you guys think?

Source - Click here

My god. No, no, no, no. A thousand times no. He's fine. He's a 20-year-old rookie who was drafted for his potential.

He's shown a terrific attitude, a commendable work ethic, and an obvious willingness to learn. He'll make some mistakes on the court but we have to be patient. We've got a gem here, it's just going to take some time.

I'm not even upset with Smith, really - it's his job to call guys out if they're not performing as well as he thinks they can, rookie or not. Just warning people against over-reacting to his words.

Comment

Man, I'm surprised how off is he on his pull-up jumper and runners of late. He hit backboard at least four times last week...

Comment

Too harsh. DeRozan is doing fine, I'd actually like to see more of him, not less.
        nbaroundtable

Comment

Jack had a more positive spin on DeMar this morning. Good on ya Jack.

3. It's not panic time: We're 14 games in. Plan your work and work your plan. Just like Jay Triano and his staff have stuck to the defensive philosophy that they put into play in training camp, you can't abandon 14 games in and it's not like you're 2-12 and by the way, you've played in 12 of the first 14 games teams that were in last year playoffs (can you say: strength of schedule?) and you're hanging in there.

The team needs to play better but you MUST see things through if you're truly going to be able to make the right adjustments/decisions on your defense and a young player like DeRozan in the coming weeks/months that lie ahead.

Only time will tell if DeRozan becomes a star (who knows??) but we'll all be kicking ourselves if we sacrificed two or three extra wins for the short-term (ask: Toronto Maple Leaf fans about this awful philosophy) at the expense of the development of a ninth pick in the First round (a huge organization investment) who MIGHT be able (in time) take you to another level (don't we all want that??) based upon his development.

Lets all take a chill pill and let the process breath for a bit longer before any rash decisions are made.
          There's way too much panicking going on here in Toronto. Doug shouldn't of riled up villagers this morning. He should know better.

Source - Click here

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
            Too harsh. DeRozan is doing fine, I'd actually like to see more of him, not less.
            I agree but his jumpshots aren't looking too good. I honestly cringe every time I see DD takes a shot.

Sonny Weems look much more polished at this point.

Comment

Willing to wait

Demar Derozan is 20 years old. I have seen enough to know that he is going to be a sevicable player in the league. He is guarding the toughest position night in night out and doesnt have the luxury of heavy minutes rookies on bad teams have to play through mistakes. We have played 14 games have a little patience. The rule for Rookies is 3 years. By the end of the first year a rookie shows something. The league then makes the adjustments during the second year and then you get what you get in the third year. Im willing to wait and so shoould you?

Comment

2mrw2day wrote: View Post
                Im willing to wait and so shoould you?
                Yup, I'm with you 2mrw2day. Too soon to write the kid off. I think fans see how quick a young player like Jennings can make an impact and wonder why it can't happen with their respective rookies. DeMar is a fairly raw talent and over time I think the investment will pay off. Raptors fans just have to have something most don't. And that's patience.

Comment

Doug's just running out of things to say.
                  And it was time to stir up some interest.

DD is doing fine. If you were expecting VC, you were over-reaching.
                  The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Working...
                  X