Are the Raptors in trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the Raptors in trouble?

Losing out on Nash is, in my opinion, a massive blow for this team. The basketball reasons (lol) are perhaps secondary to the effects of having the greatest Canadian player of all time refuse to finish his career on Canada's only team, giving up about 30% salary to do so. I don't hold any real ill will towards him, but basically, if Nash won't sign here, who will?

Thoughts?

i looked outside just now and the clouds all seem lower.

we lots of players/most would make that move. if the lakers keep sessions and can move blake they have a nice backcourt. am really happy it wasn't the knicks or miami for the vets minimum.

Comment

I think we, once again, need to wait to see what else BC can do. While I wanted Nash to come to the Raptors, I do not even think that move would have made us the best possible basketball team. I think if there is a way to get Calderon and one of the Houston guards, we would be in a better spot then if we had Nash and Bayless. I wanted Nash to come to the Raptors just so we will be relevant again.

I think the Raptors might be in trouble in terms of how they are perceived around the league. First, we did not treat Calderon very nicely (and I would not hold it against him if he wanted to leave), then we go all in on Nash and give him this ridiculous offer but we fail to convince him enough that Toronto would be the right fit, and now we may possibly go back on a verbal agreement with Fields (which does not make this franchise look any nicer, but this is just speculation).

There is nothing wrong in pursuing a free agent. The problem comes when you start burning bridges, and planning ahead blindly thinking he signs with you.

Yeah, as we have it right now, we have many assets and moveable players that have not been touched yet. I am certain this is not how our lineup looks by the next season.

Comment

The pressure is all on BC.

He has to deliver now. He has to justify the low-ceiling draft picks this year which suggest we are trying to compete right now. And for that he has to bring in a big name signing with all the capspace we have accumulated.

I will wait for the end of off-season before l I start calling for his head

Comment

We didn't lose anything... just didn't gain Nash

Free agents not wanting to come here is nothing new... at least this time it isn't for a retarded reason

Comment

at the end of the day its just a game. It would be nice if toronto had sports team that weren't so crappy, but there are other ways we can entertain ourselves. I probably won't be watching next season.

Comment

A lot can happen between now and training camp. We're far from in trouble.

Comment

We've been in the lottery for 4 straight years. So ya, it's a bit of trouble. There are a few things going on here that they are downright hilarious:

---> People actually thought Nash was going to leave Phoenix to join a lottery team and perpetual loser. Clearly using an over the top offer from a desperate/semi-coherent GM to drive up his value.
                ---> Casey just spent an entire season grinding this team down to the numb and growing a new, defensively responsible identity, and then Colangelo not only (very publicly) pursued Nash, but planned the entire offseason around making that move..... Even though it flew in the face of everything Casey just established.
                ---> Fans will be mad at Nash for shunning his patriotic duty to play in Canada. Even though he's the GM of the national team and played for the national team until developing chronic back issues.

.... ladies and gentlemen, your 2012 Raptors offseason!

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
                  at the end of the day its just a game. It would be nice if toronto had sports team that weren't so crappy, but there are other ways we can entertain ourselves. I probably won't be watching next season.
                  As an alternative to this acidtrippin' experience may I recommend a full dose Brett Lawrie and Jays :P

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                    As an alternative to this acidtrippin' experience may I recommend a full dose Brett Lawrie and Jays :P
                    Boom! 10/10. Co-sign. Rasmus/Lawrie/Bautista... best 1..2..3 in baseball.

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
                      Boom! 10/10. Co-sign. Rasmus/Lawrie/Bautista... best 1..2..3 in baseball.
                      maybe jose could pitch for them???

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                        Losing out on Nash is, in my opinion, a massive blow for this team. The basketball reasons (lol) are perhaps secondary to the effects of having the greatest Canadian player of all time refuse to finish his career on Canada's only team, giving up about 30% salary to do so. I don't hold any real ill will towards him, but basically, if Nash won't sign here, who will?

Thoughts?
                        Everyone is going to assume what is pretty obvious in my opinion. Just like the Glove, he's chasing a title in L.A. I think he will fail and he missed out on a great opportunity in Toronto.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          Everyone is going to assume what is pretty obvious in my opinion. Just like the Glove, he's chasing a title in L.A.
                          he was also starstruck when Kobe called him LOL

Comment

The Mavs just lost out on Deron Williams and Nash, then Jason Terry jumped ship for Boston. Think they're 'in trouble'? Free agents are fickle, and all it takes is an all-star or two turn perception around (see: LA Clippers and Minnesota Timberwolves).

The franchise is fine, all that's really happened is that the Raps have had a string of draft picks that haven't fully panned out or developed into the kind of players you can build around. A lot of mid-market teams wander the NBA wilderness for a lot longer than that before they land the stars needed to guide them back to playoffs. The Raps just need to be patient, use this year to see what they've got in their young players, maximize flexibility going forward and then make some tough decisions about who to keep and who to trade.

Unfortunately BC is the team's GM and his job on the line, which means my answer could change in the coming days or weeks depending on how badly he fucks it up.

Comment

There was a report that the Mavs are considering letting the team nose dive this season and then making a play for CP3 and D12 next off season.

Comment

Working...
                              X