Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013-2014 toronto raptors Season

What do you all think?

Toronto Raptors might have a great chance to get the 7th or 8th playoff spot if:

- they become more aggressive
    - terrence ross is a young player who can shoot and also hype up and motivate the team with his dunks (let him play some minutes)
    - Demar Derozan needs to hit up the gym and practice his jump-shot outside of the paint.
    - Rudy gay needs to practise his 3 pointers because he is very inconsistent with his points and his percentage

What do you all think??

They have a roster who can get higher than that, they need to avoid all those injuries and somehow not lose most of games in the 4th quarter... And we shouldn't forget Bargnani, the management decisions on him will have big impact
    Last edited by japetas; Thu May 2, 2013, 03:28 AM.
    (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

This team needs a good system more than anything. Adding or removing players isn't gonna change the team very much. Consistent, tough team D and a coorindated offense that isn't ISO heavy and this team could win 45 I believe.

Comment

Our starting lineup is fine right now to win games, it's our bench that needs work though. Our bench is this
        Gray
        Acy
        Anderson
        Ross
        Lucas

That bench won't get it done, especially when Alan Anderson will chuck to his hearts content. We need to upgrade the backup SF, PF/C and PG some how for this team to be better. Getting Kyle Korver or Mike Dunleavy at SF, Carl Landry or Sam Dalembert at PF/C and DJ Augustine at PG our bench would look like this

Dalembert
        Acy
        Dunleavy
        Ross
        Augustine

or

Landry
        Acy
        Korver
        Ross
        Augustine

That bench gives us 3 point shooting and post presence some that this team desperately needs. How to acquire those players is going to be the question.
        Last edited by DG88; Thu May 2, 2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

DG88 wrote: View Post
          Our starting lineup is fine right now to win games.
          Are you watching the playoffs? Our starting lineup is not "good enough". I highly recommend that people who think any part of this team is "good enough" watch the Mem/LAC, Den/GS or OKC/Rockets series. It wll give you a sense of just how many light years away the Raptors are.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
            Are you watching the playoffs? Our starting lineup is not "good enough". I highly recommend that people who think any part of this team is "good enough" watch the Mem/LAC, Den/GS or OKC/Rockets series. It wll give you a sense of just how many light years away the Raptors are.
            First of all, all the teams you mentioned is in the West, so we only can play the finals series against them, teams like Brooklyn or even New York arent looking SO good , but that's not the point. Our starting lineup is really good enough (maybe not for championship competition but they could fight for a place in the East finals), like JawsGT said above, this team needs a good system. If you look at the teams like San Antonio or Boston - most of their players aren't all-stars but everybody knows their place on court, their role in the team's offence and defence - that's the thing the Raptors lacks at the moment.

Comment

japetas wrote: View Post
              First of all, all the teams you mentioned is in the West, so we only can play the finals series against them, teams like Brooklyn or even New York arent looking SO good , but that's not the point. Our starting lineup is really good enough (maybe not for championship competition but they could fight for a place in the East finals), like JawsGT said above, this team needs a good system. If you look at the teams like San Antonio or Boston - most of their players aren't all-stars but everybody knows their place on court, their role in the team's offence and defence - that's the thing the Raptors lacks at the moment.
              Are you being serious?

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                Are you being serious?
                Yeah, I'm quite optimistic But at least our starting lineup doesn't look worse than teams like Atlanta, I mean really..
                Last edited by japetas; Thu May 2, 2013, 12:26 PM.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                  If you are talking about winning championships definitely not good enough, but making the playoffs? which Raps havent done in 5 years yes easily I think.

Comment

I have been watching two games tonight and I see four players the Raps have let go as not being "good enough" and at least two of them are starting, Reggie Evans and Marco Bellinelli. Jarret Jack off the bench, Kris Humphries off the bench.

Games I haven't watched: Off the bench - Matt Bonner, Jeryd Bayless, Ed Davis.

Not saying the Raps made mistakes letting these guys go, but interesting to see ex-raps in the playoffs.

Comment

If things go right, and the talent takes a major leap forward, they're capable of a top 4 seed.

Realistically though, considering injuries, calls, etc, etc. I think they'll be a playoff team next year, but considering the negatives aren't major.

This team just needs minor tweaks, good internal improvement over the Summer, and they'll be looking within that 6-8 frame.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                        I have been watching two games tonight and I see four players the Raps have let go as not being "good enough" and at least two of them are starting, Reggie Evans and Marco Bellinelli. Jarret Jack off the bench, Kris Humphries off the bench.

Not saying the Raps made mistakes letting these guys go, but interesting to see ex-raps in the playoffs.
                        Everyone in the NBA has ability and skill. It is finding complimentary pieces to fit with great talent. Toronto has been lacking the great talent but has never had a problem with role players. Actually they have had one problem with role players: expecting too much from them.

Comment

japetas wrote: View Post
                          Yeah, I'm quite optimistic But at least our starting lineup doesn't look worse than teams like Atlanta, I mean really..
                          Im an optimist as well!
                          So I am with you on this one!
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Just to expand on this, without taking it seriously, also interesting listening to announcers praising Marco and Reggy. They are, afterall, starting for playoff teams.

As far as actual starters:
                            Comparison of Johnson and Derozan:
                            http://www.signandtrade.com/nba/nbap...ompareid=41770
                            What jumps out is 3 pointers. Marginal in other areas.

Comparison of Butler and Lowry:
                            http://www.signandtrade.com/nba/nbap...ompareid=41766
                            No comparison.

Rudy Gay and Luol Deng
                            http://www.signandtrade.com/nba/nbap...ompareid=41771

Again, not to take it seriously, but I think these comparisons really point out how important team dynamics are. And I think the impact of the right players in the right situations.

This also shows, I think, how you cannot consider a player and their stats in isolation. The point has been made in other threads that no individual position on a playoff team, needs to be staffed by a superstar. The Bulls are a good example of that. They have a starting five that doesn't include any superstars (currently). But there they are.

Comment

Just to expand on this, without taking it seriously, also interesting listening to announcers praising Marco and Reggy. They are, afterall, starting for playoff teams.

As far as actual starters:
                              Comparison of Johnson and Derozan:
                              http://www.signandtrade.com/nba/nbap...ompareid=41770
                              What jumps out is 3 pointers. Marginal in other areas.

Comparison of Butler and Lowry:
                              http://www.signandtrade.com/nba/nbap...ompareid=41766
                              No comparison.

Rudy Gay and Luol Deng
                              http://www.signandtrade.com/nba/nbap...ompareid=41771

Again, not to take it seriously, but I think these comparisons really point out how important team dynamics are. And I think the impact of the right players in the right situations.

This also shows, I think, how you cannot consider a player and their stats in isolation. The point has been made in other threads that no individual position on a playoff team, needs to be staffed by a superstar. The Bulls are a good example of that. They have a starting five that doesn't include any superstars (currently). But there they are.
                              Actually they have a superstar. His name: Coach Thibs

Comment

Working...
                              X