MLSE Responds to Raptors Name Change Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLSE Responds to Raptors Name Change Idea

HAHA ... my online petition just got a boost courtesy of TSN. Put that in your pipe and smoke it Ballswin.

Although, according the rep from the MLSE it won't matter, I still think its nice to have our voices heard.

Apparently we struck a nerve here. Talk of changing the Raptors name to the Huskies happened to be the most read story on TSN.ca on the day the suggestion of swapping names was put forth.

The support was overwhelming, with the vast majority agreeing with the thought that the name change from the Raptors to Huskies was the way to go.

Within hours Huskie-nation or the 'Dawg-pound' was energized.

Bram, one of those hard working dudes that you see behind the scenes on SportsCentre every night informed me of a petition that was started...http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/torontohuskies2010/

A twitter site was created... http://twitter.com/torontohuskies

Warren, a frustrated Raptors season ticket holder forwarded me a link to this facebook site requesting the Raptors be renamed the Huskies…

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...4688735&v=wall

I went to Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment and informed them of what was happening and asked them if they'd consider the name change. Here's what Tom Anselmi, MLSE's Executive Vice-President and Chief Operating Officer had to say on the matter…

"We're pleased that a lot of our fans like the Huskies third jersey. It's a great traditonal brand that has ties to Toronto's strong basketball roots. That said, there have been no discussions about changing the Raptors name permanently. It has been our name since inception and we know our fans love it and identify with it."

Fair enough. We can take it for what its worth OR we can let MLSE know its time to make the dinosaur extinct. Make your voice be heard. Sign the petition. Join the facebook group. It all helps. Remember, the Raptors are Canada's only pro hoops team so this encompasses all of Canada. Forward the petition to your friends and make your voices loud.

The numbers will make them think twice.

Go Huskies? Yes we can!
    Source - Click here

This whole huskie thing is stupid. Do you really think they didn't think of this already? The reason we aren't the Toronto Huskies is because there is already the minnesota timberwolves.

Comment

Hey, if there is money to be made they'll do anything including strapping Peddie as the lead dog on the sled...and he'll yap too. Mush.

So, Doc, come up with a plan on how to cross brand "Huskies" the basketball team with a dogfood and you might get your wish...as well as a new job...marketing director possibly???

Comment

I agree, Ark23. I don’t get the Huskies thing at all. It was a failed franchise that operated for one year back in the ’40’s ... and I’ve never known of anyone who recalls anything about them at all.

The name might’ve been cool had the Raptors initially gone with it, but trying to get them to change it now is a waste of time and even a bit silly, imo ... ‘though it seems I’m in a small minority, there.

As for selling Huskies jerseys at Raptors games ... just a meaningless (and heartless) cash grab by MLSE, as I see it. And I think Raptors fans already do more than their share. (But ... fill your boots if it makes you happy. Lol.)

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
          So, Doc, come up with a plan on how to cross brand "Huskies" the basketball team with a dogfood and you might get your wish...as well as a new job...marketing director possibly???
          I was thinking about the dog litter pads. (http://www.ugodog.net/) With interchangeable NBA team logos for you and your dog to urinate on. I think the Celtics and Magic will likely be two of the most popular ones. Once that takes off I'll look at adding specfic players like VC, T-Mac and by next fall Chris Bosh, for fans and their pet dogs to golden shower on.

Comment

Ark23 wrote: View Post
            This whole huskie thing is stupid. Do you really think they didn't think of this already? The reason we aren't the Toronto Huskies is because there is already the minnesota timberwolves.
            No. Naming an NBA franchise after a popular movie at the time is stupid. Changing it to something more timeless just makes sense. I'd go for something else, but the Huskies name is out there already, so it makes more sense than just making up a new one.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Change the name and resign Johnson would be cool since Johnson's nickname is "Big Dawg" He could become the unofficial mascot of the "Dawg-pound"
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

No, changing the name of the team is stupid. Period. Get over the jurassic park bellyaching, raptors is the team name. The blue jays were named by parent company labatt blue, hoping they would be called the blues for short...seriously, and what the hell is the idea naming a hockey team after a leaf from a tree? What the __ is so great about huskies that everybody is so excited to buy new gear? This is just insepid to me, sorry, everytime I see that petition I want to shake someone.

Comment

Or we could stick with the good name we have right now and thank our lucky stars that we aren't like the habs... LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, YOUR TORONNNTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TORONTONIANS!!!

Comment

jamesk wrote: View Post
                    No, changing the name of the team is stupid. Period. Get over the jurassic park bellyaching, raptors is the team name. The blue jays were named by parent company labatt blue, hoping they would be called the blues for short...seriously, and what the hell is the idea naming a hockey team after a leaf from a tree? What the __ is so great about huskies that everybody is so excited to buy new gear? This is just insepid to me, sorry, everytime I see that petition I want to shake someone.
                    Well, the Maple Leaf is on our national flag and is a symbol of our country. The Blue Jay is a an actual bird that is native to the area. The Raptors (or Velociraptor) is an extinct dinosaur from what is now Asia and has absolutely no connection to Toronto, or even Canada, what-so-ever. It would have made about as much sense to call then the Toronto Pandas.

As for buying new gear, I haven't bought any NBA article of clothing since the Grizzlies left Vancouver (and then I just bought one jersey as a keepsake), and couldn't care less about new gear. I just think the name is stupid, childish and would like the Toronto basketball name to have SOME sort of meaning or connection to the city or country.
                    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                      Well, the Maple Leaf is on our national flag and is a symbol of our country. The Blue Jay is a an actual bird that is native to the area. The Raptors (or Velociraptor) is an extinct dinosaur from what is now Asia and has absolutely no connection to Toronto, or even Canada, what-so-ever. It would have made about as much sense to call then the Toronto Pandas.

As for buying new gear, I haven't bought any NBA article of clothing since the Grizzlies left Vancouver (and then I just bought one jersey as a keepsake), and couldn't care less about new gear. I just think the name is stupid, childish and would like the Toronto basketball name to have SOME sort of meaning or connection to the city or country.
                      I don't know how accurate the list on the link is.

Animal facts
                      Looking for information on a particular Canadian animal? We've classified all of our Animal fact sheets by species and by province! Print them out and collect them all, or just view them online! Download the full collection (4.6 MB) of print-quality PDF files!
                      http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/kid...asp?region=ont
                      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post

this guy is helping you get educated listen to him.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Hate the Huskies

Please make note of the Counter-Petition in support of MLSE keeping the Raptors name.
                          RR OG

Comment

Although I'm not in favour of a name change (I do like the Huskies colours/gear which is why I got one of those dope warmup jackets ), I love the fact that Doc's petition/movement is grabbing some attention for RR! Your starting a powerful movement and RR just keeps growing! Keep up the hustle Doc!

Comment

Raptors is a great name. Only if we had some players who embodied the ferocity of an actual raptor.

Personally I think we should scrap the whole Huskies thing. It looks ridiculous and I didn't even know the huskies existed until this year. I went to the first game they were wearing the Huskies jerseys and was like WTF!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X