Wolstat on TPE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolstat on TPE

According to ESPN’s Brian Windhorst, it is expected that the NBA will grant an extension on existing traded player exceptions that had a week or so remaining when the lockout started.

That means Cleveland should have a $14.5 million U.S. chip to play with from the LeBron James sign-and-trade and the Raptors still have about $9 million left on their own Chris Bosh trade exception.

Bryan Colangelo has only ever given indications that the team won’t be using the rest of the TPE, but if they do, here are some players teams might be looking to dump in order to improve their cap situations.

Sure they can amnesty players, but this lets them get rid of them without paying the rest of the contract.

The Raptors have five roster spots to fill and only $7 million in cap space (plus an extra $2.9 million when the season starts and Jonas Valanciunas remains in Lithuania) so spending the entire exception is extremely unlikely. But they could grab a player making, say $3.5 million with part of it and still have $3.5 million of the mid-level exception (which is $5 million total to spend).

Once the season starts they would have an extra $2.9 million (from the Valanciunas cap hold) to round out the roster with low or minimum salary players.

Trading for a player using the TPE avoids the hassle of overpaying on a free agent and/or having to negotiatie with the other 29 teams for said free agents.

Who might be available that might make even a small amount of sense?

Kirk Hinrich, Hawks. Hinrich would be a nice fit, especially if/when Jose Calderon get injured, but if Calderon stays healthy, there wouldn’t be enough point guard minutes to go around and Jerryd Bayless wouldn’t get the time he needs. Jeff Teague has replaced Hinrich as the starter, but he remains valuable. Still, going over the cap for Hinrich doesn’t seem like something Colangelo would consider, rightly so.

Kyle Korver, Bulls. Raptors could use a shooter and a backup swingman. Korver’s a lot more consistent from outside than Linas Kleiza.

Ronnie Brewer, Bulls. Can’t shoot, but an athletic, Dwane Casey-esque defender. If the Bulls can land Arron Afflalo, Brewer could be expendable for cap reasons.

Daniel Gibson or Ramon Sessions, Cavs. Both make too much money, but would add depth at PG.

Corey Brewer, Mavericks. Another great defender who Casey likes with limited offence. Mavs want to bring back Tyson Chandler and J.J. Barea and cutting Brewer for nothing could help them lower their luxury tax penalties.

Chris Andersen, Nuggets. Expensive, but a great shot blocker who might fit well next to Andrea Bargnani.

Brandon Rush, Pacers. Raptors once had interest. Not a lot of minutes for Rush in Indiana with Paul George emerging and George Hill likely to play in same backcourt as Darren Collison at times.

Keyon Dooling, Bucks. Cheap veteran to add depth at the point.

Luke Ridnour, Wolves. With Ricky Rubio coming over and Jonny Flynn remaining, hard to see both Ridnour and Flynn staying in Minnesota.

Jordan Farmar/Anthony Morrow, Nets. New Jersey is trying to open up as much cap space as possible. Morrow can shoot the lights out.

Lou Williams, Sixers. A long-shot, but if Andres Nocioni is waived and Williams also comes off books, Sixers would have a bit of money to spend.

Raja Bell, Jazz. Good veteran leader probably wants to go to a contender but would be a good add to the locker room. Utah probably doesn’t have a lot of minutes to offer Bell with young players capable of playing the 2/3.
    http://blogs.canoe.ca/courtside/

brandon rush, corey brewer and anthony morrow really interest me. all three could start (morrow if you moved derozen to the 3) and all three are good defenders. if nothing else, each would be excellent depth.
    @sweatpantsjer

I like David Andersen as our stop gap center
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Ridnour is a very underrated player. He could be a good successor to Jose if Bayless is ready to start.

Gibson would fit well because of his long range shooting. He's solid.

Either Brewer would be an upgrade to the wing. Sign me up.

I love what Hinrich is about. I've wanted to see him as a Raptor for a long time. The guy has a very solid two way game. He would bring something to the PG spot we have not seen here in Toronto in some time, defense.

Wolstat put some thought into this piece. He makes some sense. Props to him.

Comment

Pass on Gibson. Literally one of the worst defenders I've ever seen.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          I love what Hinrich is about. I've wanted to see him as a Raptor for a long time. The guy has a very solid two way game. He would bring something to the PG spot we have not seen here in Toronto in some time, defense.
          agreed... not to mention he's a more than capable backup SG.. regardless of how the PG situation plays out here, i dont think there would be a shortage of minutes for him

Comment

Didn't Flynn get traded to the Rockets? Wolstat says he remains on Minny.
            The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Anyhow, sign me up for Kyle Korver (we suck at 3's), Corey Brewer (we suck at wing defence), or Chris Anderson (we suck at protecting the rim).
              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

That is a good list.

If Calderon is traded, sign me up for Hinrich or Ridnour.

If Barbosa is traded, sign me up for Dooling or Williams.

Either of the Brewers are a welcome addition to the wing.

I would also be up for Morrow.

Comment

Working...
                X