What Can Casey Do in Two Weeks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Can Casey Do in Two Weeks?

Big hopes have been pinned on Casey's arrival, as a defensive minded coach with a talent for creating systems that maximize his resources. But what can he realistically accomplish between December 9th and the Raps first game? And then on in the season with the Raptors playing 3.9 games a week?

During the two week training camp, a lot of time is going to be spent getting the guys into game shape. During the season, even though 48 games are in their own conference, and only 18 are in the West, there will still be a lot of days given over to travel. The Raptors will be lucky to average one decent practice a week during the season.

If you are trying to instil a new system, repetition is essential I would think. Maybe Casey can somehow dumb things down. If not, I wouldn't expect to see any significant defensive breakthroughs with this team.

Puffer

I think you can't really look at it like a 2 week window. First of all, defense is not that easy. It can take the better part of a season for a team to get it, and don't point to a team like Boston, because they're all vets. It took time for Atlanta to improve under Woodson. It took time for all Carlisle's teams to adjust. Same for Van Gundy teams (Stan or Jeff, take your pick). Same for Cleveland under Mike Brown. A full training camp definitely helps, but it is not a deadline to build a strong D.

If we don't see some improvement throughout the season, that would be the failure, not if we're not better after a 2 week training camp. This is especially true if Casey is supposed to preach accountability. With that type of coach we should see improvement relatively quickly, maybe within the first 2-3 months...otherwise it's probably not a great fit, though I think that could mean we should juggle our roster a bit, maybe not the coach. Anyway don't worry too much if our D is still crappy after training camp is what I'm trying to say.

Comment

while I agree with the idea of this thread, that two weeks won't be a lot of time for a new 'system', 'philosophy', 'style', what have you, to be put into place and developed......

.... I'm already hearing a new excuse as to why Bargnani needs 1 more additional year......

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        I think you can't really look at it like a 2 week window. First of all, defense is not that easy. It can take the better part of a season for a team to get it, and don't point to a team like Boston, because they're all vets. It took time for Atlanta to improve under Woodson. It took time for all Carlisle's teams to adjust. Same for Van Gundy teams (Stan or Jeff, take your pick). Same for Cleveland under Mike Brown. A full training camp definitely helps, but it is not a deadline to build a strong D.

If we don't see some improvement throughout the season, that would be the failure, not if we're not better after a 2 week training camp. This is especially true if Casey is supposed to preach accountability. With that type of coach we should see improvement relatively quickly, maybe within the first 2-3 months...otherwise it's probably not a great fit, though I think that could mean we should juggle our roster a bit, maybe not the coach. Anyway don't worry too much if our D is still crappy after training camp is what I'm trying to say.
        +1 on the bold section.

Comment

I'm not too concerned about the short training camp. As stated above, it will take months for the new philosophy to sink in. There will, no doubt, be some very ugly losses this season, but we're just aiming for continued improvement.

On another note, I think the compressed schedule might actually work in our favour. Being one of the youngest teams in the league, it's assumed that conditioning would be less of a concern for us, compared to some of the older clubs. As a result, I'm hoping we're able to steal a few wins early simply by outrunning our opponents.

Comment

All casey can really do is get the basic fundamental ideas/concepts of his system out there and start to practice them in his first 2 weeks. After that all he can really do is hold people accountable, if he sees that the effort isnt there on the defensive end, punish, if you see that it is, reward, playing time is the only leverage he has, and he has to use it. I just want the raptors to become an "average" defensive team, we can become a "good" defensive team next year or the year after, but being average right now, would be like being great for us lol.
            "Defense wins championships."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
              All casey can really do is get the basic fundamental ideas/concepts of his system out there and start to practice them in his first 2 weeks. After that all he can really do is hold people accountable, if he sees that the effort isnt there on the defensive end, punish, if you see that it is, reward, playing time is the only leverage he has, and he has to use it. I just want the raptors to become an "average" defensive team, we can become a "good" defensive team next year or the year after, but being average right now, would be like being great for us lol.
              turning into an average defensive team would be a huge jump. I'd be happy if they could become 'no longer an embarrasment to the game of basketball' defensive team

Comment

This season is basically a write-off
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                  Big hopes have been pinned on Casey's arrival, as a defensive minded coach with a talent for creating systems that maximize his resources. But what can he realistically accomplish between December 9th and the Raps first game? And then on in the season with the Raptors playing 3.9 games a week?

During the two week training camp, a lot of time is going to be spent getting the guys into game shape. During the season, even though 48 games are in their own conference, and only 18 are in the West, there will still be a lot of days given over to travel. The Raptors will be lucky to average one decent practice a week during the season.

If you are trying to instil a new system, repetition is essential I would think. Maybe Casey can somehow dumb things down. If not, I wouldn't expect to see any significant defensive breakthroughs with this team.

Puffer
                  We need to look at this as a coach coming to a team midway through a season. You make some excellent points. Casey can't install his full system in two weeks. What he can do is teach them some fundamentals, call the right plays in games, call timeouts when appropriate and make the appropriate substitutions.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    We need to look at this as a coach coming to a team midway through a season. You make some excellent points. Casey can't install his full system in two weeks. What he can do is teach them some fundamentals, call the right plays in games, call timeouts when appropriate and make the appropriate substitutions.
                    if any of these guys don't already know or understand the 'fundamentals' of defense, they shouldn't even be on the roster. These guys have all played basketball at a 'high level' in one form or another (whether college, pro overseas or in the NBA for X number of years). If for some reason someone doesn't know the fundamentals, they are years and years away from developing and time/resources are being wasted on them.

But these guys KNOW the fundamentals of defense. What they may not know is the importance of D, don't care about playing it or are scared of playing it. I don't think a single player needs to learn to 'see the ball and your man' etc.

There is no doubt a learning curve/experience some need in order to improve (moving from college/overseas to the NBA is a change)... but its not in the fundamental areas, at best its in the technical area (positioning, learning certain players/teams routines etc), but more than anything its in the ass kicking area.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                      This season is basically a write-off
                      +1.

This season is all about "seeing what we have and what we're working with". It's about implementing defensive philosophies into our young players and it's a year of learning. The only good thing we have going for us is that we're a young team, and so in a condensed season, it might bode better as opposed to the teams with much older players.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                        if any of these guys don't already know or understand the 'fundamentals' of defense, they shouldn't even be on the roster. These guys have all played basketball at a 'high level' in one form or another (whether college, pro overseas or in the NBA for X number of years). If for some reason someone doesn't know the fundamentals, they are years and years away from developing and time/resources are being wasted on them.

But these guys KNOW the fundamentals of defense. What they may not know is the importance of D, don't care about playing it or are scared of playing it. I don't think a single player needs to learn to 'see the ball and your man' etc.

There is no doubt a learning curve/experience some need in order to improve (moving from college/overseas to the NBA is a change)... but its not in the fundamental areas, at best its in the technical area (positioning, learning certain players/teams routines etc), but more than anything its in the ass kicking area.
                        I meant Casey's system fundamentals. Of course they know the basic building blocks, they're pros and have been playing basketball their whole lives.

Comment

Coaches are like magicians. Casey will immediately make everyone a better defender and the Raptors defense will improve vastly over last year.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            Coaches are like magicians. Casey will immediately make everyone a better defender and the Raptors defense will improve vastly over last year.
                            As has been noted, coaches get too much credit for wins, and too much blame for losses.

Puffer

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                              Was that sarcasm?

Comment

Working...
                              X