Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Draft - Raptors Would Have Picked Hickson

http://cavs.ohio.com/2010/10/hickson...been-a-raptor/

If the Toronto Raptors could go back two years ago, they’d probably want a mulligan for their 2008 draft.

The Raptors were interested enough in J.J. Hickson that they brought him in twice for pre-draft workouts. But instead of keeping the pick and selecting him, they sent the No. 17 selection to Indiana as part of the trade to acquire Jermaine O’Neal.

Hickson had only played one season at N.C. State and the Pacers wanted Roy Hibbert, whom the Raptors selected and then traded. O’Neal lasted just half a season in Toronto before getting dealt, along with Jamario Moon, to the Miami Heat.

Raptors coach Jay Triano remembers watching how “live” Hickson looked in the summer league. He went to the Cavs two picks later at No. 19.

“He’s obviously practiced hard and developed himself into a very good player,” Triano said. “He’s a guy who finds a way to score, he’s very active and he’s very long. You look at the stats and what he’s done so far, he’s played well.”

So why didn't they pick Hickson? Oh yeah, BC was still under the illusion that he could re-sign Chris Bosh.

Comment

No Shit ! damn would have bee a great pick, he's an undersized PF but explosive and long. Kind of reminds me of Barkley without the shooting ability. Too bad BC shit the bed with JO and had throw this pick in to get rid of JO.
      "Hello, Hello !.....You Play to Win the GAME!!"

Herm Edwards

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
        So why didn't they pick Hickson? Oh yeah, BC was still under the illusion that he could re-sign Chris Bosh.
        And Bosh was probably leading him to believe that...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          And Bosh was probably leading him to believe that...
          In retrospect what was any exec thinking when 3 of the best in a draft class decided to reup in exactly the same way (3 years). Ok, one could be led to believe it was a "timing" manouever because of the cba expiry....but when CAA bought out the agents/cies soon after to control them all...red flags should have been flying. The downside became too great for a franchise like TO. But I agree that on a personal level I think BC believed CB about the "working together" promises.

Comment

Would have, could have, should have........more hindsight bs according to some folks...instead of reflective thinking, contemplating....

Comment

2008 offseason blunder has probably set the Raptors more back then when Bosh left the Raptors this season.

Comment

More rear-mirror garbage

So-fucking-what? Go to every draft and you'll find a steal that a dozen GMs didn't pick. If anything it proves that they've got an eye for talent but decided to go in a different direction. This assumes that Hickson has accomplished something/anything yet. And he hasn't. Not even close.

Comment

rdiaz101 wrote: View Post
                  No Shit ! damn would have bee a great pick, he's an undersized PF but explosive and long. Kind of reminds me of Barkley without the shooting ability. Too bad BC shit the bed with JO and had throw this pick in to get rid of JO.
                  Nice player - not special - he's kind of a tweener @ 6'8 - best case scenario Paul Milsap lets rebounds more touch around the net. Ed Davis is a fair bit better IMO.

The guy everyone is going to regret passing on is nicolas batum ... again IMO.
                  "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

there's no more controversy for that oneal trade now.

because we never would've picked hibbert.
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Actually there is more now because had they not pulled the trigger on the trade they would have landed a player better than Hibbert or O'Neal.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Actually there is more now because had they not pulled the trigger on the trade they would have landed a player better than Hibbert or O'Neal.
                        i don't know if hickson is better than hibbert. but, i guess we will find out.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Although we haven't seen Ed Davis play an NBA game, yet, he's got far more potential to be a better player than Hickson. Drafting Hickson might have meant that the Raptors wouldn't have traded for Amir, too. It's the butterfly effect. Just because you draft a good player doesn't mean things turn out the same, except you have that same player.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

It's possible that Ed Davis could be better than Hickson in the future, but I think to simply state it as fact, is pure crazy.
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                              i don't know if hickson is better than hibbert. but, i guess we will find out.
                              If I met you half way on that point and agree there is still controversy about the trade.

Comment

Working...
                              X