Compare him to other 2's in the league who are in their 2/3/4 year.
A few things with this.
1. While Demar started last season he did not play starter minutes (only 21.6 min/game). He was also the fifth option on offense all year and has only really started to show his offence this season.
2. He had a bad game, reportedly due to a headcold. Even if he was fine though, you can't expect a guy to become a number one option over night. There were games last season where Bosh was out and Bargs had trouble scoring and people said it meant he couldn't be a number 1. As we have seen this season, Bargs did a fairly good job adjusting to the role once he got used to it and I expect Demar would be ok if you gave him a training camp and a string of games to get some practice.
Shame on the rest of you:rolleyes:
DeMar is exceeding expectations.
1. He is easily one of the top 5 sophmores this season as opposed to the top nine. In my opinion those top 5 are: Steph Curry, Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, DeMar DeRozan & Jrue Holiday in no particular order (though Marcus Thornton is playing out of his mind as of late and one could argue Wesley Matthews being in there as well).
2. He's second in scoring among sophmores.
3. Comparing him to the top shooting guards of his draft year, James Harden and Wesley Matthews, DeMar holds his own to say the least. His PPG is higher than both of them, as well as his FG%.
4. Last year DeMar wasn't even close to being one of the top ten preforming rookies and there wasn't any worry because we drafted him based on potential. He has obviously improved tremendously and one can only assume he will continue.
5. Bargnani is a laughing stock of the league.
If you can back up this opinion with PER, defensive stats, REB, AST, etc etc, go for it. I'm telling you that you won't be able to.
I'm sorry, but this is a "my favourite player is being beaten up by everyone, so I'm going to try and turn the tables by criticizing a well liked player" thread. DeRozan had one bad game, but is one of the better performing sophomore SGs in the league.
In fact, he's 3rd among all sophomores in scoring and 10th in PER among sophomores who play at least 25 mpg. And he's much more productive than Bargnani was in his second year (14 PER to Bargnani's 10.6 PER, which doesn't take into account minutes played).
Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of this happening among Bargnani fans, who, I'm guessing, are sick of Bargnani being picked on, so start picking on guys like DeMar and Amir. The criticizing of Amir is particularly ridiculous because he's been the Raptors most consistent and productive player throughout the season, the one who has played the most well rounded game, and about the only guy who is not on his rookie contract that is actually earning his money.
If these people who criticize DeRozan don't also criticize Bargnani, then it's hypocritical at best, and trolling at worst. Neither one has played good defense and, outside of scoring, neither has contributed much. At least there is still hope DeRozan's defense will improve, because he's only in his second year. Bargnani, at this point, is basically a lost cause on that end of the floor.
Finally we get to move this guy and bring in some shot blocking monsters. Have any suggestions on our starting C next season?
Let me help you:
Demar, career: 0.3 bpg (0.4 for this season)
Turnovers per game: 1.2 career, 1.7 this season
RPG: 3.3 career, 3.7 this year
Personal Fouls: 2.5 career, 2.7 this year
Points per Game: 12.4 career, 16.5 this season
Not a very big improvement at all
The word is : disappointing
Don't drink the Demar kool aid yo!