Toronto - Houston Deal
SG Kevin Martin
2013 1st Round Draft Pick
SG DeMar DeRozan
SF Linas Kleiza
- upgrade at SG position (more experienced, better shooter)
- free up more space at SF for Fields (Ross can develop more with increased playing time)
- can be a mentor to Uzoh, Ross
- new first round pick gives them 2 in a very talented 2013 draft class
- get rid of Martin's massive contract (set to earn 12,000,000+ this year)
- can increase cap space in effort to get Dwight
- have 2 young, exciting guards at SG in Jeremy Lamb and DeRozan
- gives reliable backup SF in Kleiza (can shoot and good in post for a forward)
I had to think about this trade for a while, but I think it could be a really good trade.
We get Kevin Martin who is a perfect Mentor/ the player I see Ross becoming, as well as a first round draft pick, and drop Klieza's Contract.
A lot of people will disagree with this trade, but for me the part that puts it over the top is the 12 Mill expiring contract. With 12 Mill expiring, plus 10 Mill from Calderon, We suddenly have a lot of cap-space. This would then let us overpay for a guy like Harden next summer
+ a first round draft pick
I see that as a really good core.
Just realized next year they might have our draft pick...
Wouldn't the trade essentially be something like
DD + Klieza For Lowry and Martin then?
Houston WILL NOT trade any 1st rounders as long as there is a slightest chance of getting Howard (Since Orlando wants a lot 1st rounders, way more than decent players like DD).
Especially for players like DeMar and Linas. It seems to me that someone like DeMar isn't too difficult to replace. There's always a wing player that can be drafted. That's the easiest position to draft. There's a ton each year that come into the league.
Anyway, assuming that the Rockets approved this trade, I would say that having to put up with a chucker like Martin would be worth it just to clear that salary from the books. Sadly, I think there's no chance this gets done.
Not a totally impossible trade. Can be done with some minor alterations. For example, if the draft pick is a protected one and Toronto adds a 2 nd rounder. Just an example. Not a ridiculous suggestion by any stretch. Houston would have to find a replacement for Martin after the season and would love to have Demar who in my opinion is a much better than Martin.
While getting rid of Martin's contract at the end of the season, Toronto would have a much needed 1 st round draft pick.