The case for DeRozan being the number 1 option over Bargnani

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The case for DeRozan being the number 1 option over Bargnani

Inspired by his career night (albeit in 60 minutes of playing time in a losing effort), here's a look at how DeMar and Andrea's offensive efficiency stats compare so far this season:

DeRozan: PER: 17.8, TS%: .526, USG%: 25.2, Offensive Rating: 108, Offensive Win Shares: 0.6
    Bargnani: PER: 14.3, TS%: .482, USG%: 25.2, Offensive Rating: 99, Offensive Win Shares: 0.2

We see that while their offensive usage is identical, DeMar has a higher true shooting percentage, a higher player efficiency rating, a higher offensive rating, and more win shares.

It is important to note that in each of his first three seasons, DeMar's PER was below 15, the league average, so like most of you I'm hoping that his solid play continues and his PER stays around where it is now.

More interesting stats in which DeRozan is outperforming Bargnani so far this season:
    TOV%: DeRozan: 7.4, Bargnani: 8.0
    AST%: DeRozan: 12.0, Bargnani: 8.0
    The stats above show what is very obvious from watching the games so far this year: While the ball doesn't exactly flow through either player, Bargnani is more likely to not pass and turn the ball over.

Also interesting to note that while Bargnani's AST% has fluctuated over his career, DeRozan's has increased steadily (a number to attach to the observation that DeRozan is really improving his play making, especially out of the post). DeMar has also continued his trend of increasing his FTA/game, but I'm getting carried away now....

Overall, (in a relatively small sample size, I know) DeRozan is outperforming Bargnani in almost every category, and while Bargnani continues to be an inconsistent enigma, DeRozan's numbers suggest steady improvement.

It's a role I'd want to ease him into. With such a small sample size who's to say Demar doesn't go back to his old ways? I say we gradually increase his usage rate and if he handles it well we reward him with the first option. Personally I'd like to see almost everyone's usage not named bargnani go up and make Bargnani(gradually) a 4th option behind Demar Lowry JV, maybe 5th if we can get some sense into our other wings.

Comment

Ideally both Bargnani and DeRozan would be no higher than a #2 scoring option on a legitimate playoff team. Neither of them has proven to be efficient with their scoring, but with diminished expectations placed on #2 or #3 scoring options, I think they could both thrive.

Based on the # shots taken last night, as so far this year, I think it's safe to say that they are already scoring option #1a and #1b, rather than #1 and #2. When healthy, I think Lowry is essentially a scoring option #1c or #2, slightly behind both Bargnani and DeRozan.

What this team desperately needs is a legitimate, established starting SF who can come in and become the true #1 scoring option, who is also a capable 3pt shooter. That would bump Bargnani/DeRozan/Lowry into the #2-4 scoring options, with Valanciunas free to be the garbage man down low.
      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Nov 13, 2012, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I personally feel that it should come down to matchups to see who should have a higher usage. Probably not going to happen, but if the opposing team has a weaker forward than the offense should run through Bargnani, and if the opposing team has a weaker wing player, then the offense should run through DeRozan.

So I can see why DeMar had a good game against Utah who don't have strong wings. I can also see why Bargnani had a good game against Philly who was using Young for the most part on Bargnani.

I consider West a weaker player than George.. so I would hope that Bargnani's usage goes up tonight.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          I personally feel that it should come down to matchups to see who should have a higher usage. Probably not going to happen, but if the opposing team has a weaker forward than the offense should run through Bargnani, and if the opposing team has a weaker wing player, then the offense should run through DeRozan.

So I can see why DeMar had a good game against Utah who don't have strong wings. I can also see why Bargnani had a good game against Philly who was using Young for the most part on Bargnani.

I consider West a weaker player than George.. so I would hope that Bargnani's usage goes up tonight.
          Lol not a very good matchup for either. But George has been playing sf with granger out and green at sg a lot. Hopefull that means him and Demar won't be guarding each other.

Comment

Kyle Lowry should be numero uno, Demar should be given reigns on the offensive possession every now and then, and Bargs needs to be the complementary shooter when Lowry and Demar fail at a play.
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
              Kyle Lowry should be numero uno, Demar should be given reigns on the offensive possession every now and then, and Bargs needs to be the complementary shooter when Lowry and Demar fail at a play.
              I Second that! A+

Comment

Bargnani is shit trade him

Comment

If you ask me this question a year ago i would say Bargnani should be the #1 option. No question. But DeMar has improved so much this year to the point where he and Lowry should be the team's #1 option.

Raps should mainly use Bargnani as a spot up shooter. Think of Toni Kukoc with the Bulls in the 90's.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                    If you ask me this question a year ago i would say Bargnani should be the #1 option. No question. But DeMar has improved so much this year to the point where he and Lowry should be the team's #1 option.

Raps should mainly use Bargnani as a spot up shooter. Think of Toni Kukoc with the Bulls in the 90's.
                    I really hope you're not comparing DeRozan & Fields to Jordan & Pippen... lol

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      I really hope you're not comparing DeRozan & Fields to Jordan & Pippen... lol
                      lol no. I'm mainly talkin about Bargnani.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

I think for the time being you keep letting whichever one is playing better on the night be the #1 option. Eventually Demar may get to the point where we want the ball in his hands regardless of how he is playing, but right now all we have is a few games worth of data. I think in the long run though, especially given how he's played lately, Demar is going to become our franchise shooting guard.

Toronto's big three in 2 years: Lowry, Demar, and Val and it will be a scary team to play against. Pick and roll with Val rolling to the rim Lowry dribbling to the elbow while Derozen curls to the opposite elbow off a low screen is going to be damn hard to cover. Add in a good three point shooter in the corner and a four who can crash the glass after setting Demar's screen (Amir maybe) and you've got trouble.

Bargnani, as nice as the idea of an offense that runs through the mismatches he can create is, doesn't seem to be consistant enough to be the go to guy on a contender.
                        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

let Ed be your 4!!! He is looking to be a REALLY solid pro.

Comment

and ross as your 3pt shooter

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                              let Ed be your 4!!! He is looking to be a REALLY solid pro.
                              What have you been watching?
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X