Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if Ross was getting the mins that DeRozan was getting in his rookie year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if Ross was getting the mins that DeRozan was getting in his rookie year?

Or the mins that some of the other rookies are getting this year like Davis and Lillard and MKG. What do you think his numbers would look like?

I just can't say enough how much i'm impressed with Ross. The guy is just getting better and better every game. Forget about his shooting and his leaping ability but his D is off the charts. He has the potential to be a lockdown defender down the road.

This guy's potential just like JV is mouth watering. These two could be really good in a couple of years.

That's why i'm not a fan of "tanking" i really believe the Raps have some solid pieces to build around. Led by DeRozan, JV, Davis and Ross(all 23 and under). Hopefully Lowry would buy in and be a part of that group.

Problem right now is the inexperience and the lack of veteran leadership and of course Bargnani.
    Mamba Mentality

DD only played 20 minutes a game in his rookie year and rarely ever played in the fourth. He got most of his minutes in the first and third q. Right now Ross is averaging around 16 minutes a game and I think his minutes should gradually increase as he gets better.
    Last edited by why_you_mad_tho; Thu Dec 20, 2012, 12:45 AM.

Comment

I think Ross is going to be better then DD.. im still not a big fan of DD's game..he is getting better but to me it seems like he'll prob be a late bloomer who plays elite ball for maybe 5 seasons before hes washed up & 35

Comment

I think Ross is more polished coming out of college than derozen was, those few more minutes helped DD more IMO.

Comment

Top5Pick wrote: View Post
          I think Ross is more polished coming out of college than derozen was, those few more minutes helped DD more IMO.
          He's definitely more polished than Demar was in his rookie year but you have to remember that Demar came out early to pay for his mom's Lupus treatment.

Comment

Derozan was a work in progress, very athletic, lots of potential, but basketball naive. Allstar potential based on athletics alone.

Ross is basketball smart, with a more certain ceiling athletically, core player potential, allstar a longshot.

So this is why Bryan got the criticism he got, lots of people wanted to take a bigger chance, in Drummond, for the possibility of a higher payoff (size being worth more in the NBA).
            Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Dec 20, 2012, 01:24 AM.

Comment

why_you_mad_tho wrote: View Post
              DD only played 20 minutes a game in his rookie year and rarely ever played in the fourth. He got most of his minutes in the first and third q. Right now Ross is averaging around 16 minutes a game and I think his minutes should gradually increase as he gets better.
              +1.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Top5Pick wrote: View Post
                100%...if you remember, DD did not really want to play college ball, but had to for one year. The only time where is motivation was not questioned was in the national tournament when he played really well.

I think that Ross will be, at the very least, a solid defender who can make open shots. As soon as he learns the ins and outs of what teams like to run he'll be able to jump the passing lanes faster and create more deflections on D.

Derozan just does not have that ability or awareness

Comment

Can only hope that Ross has DeMar's dedication and work ethic. DD has brought something new to the table each year he has played for the Raps.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                    Or the mins that some of the other rookies are getting this year like Davis and Lillard and MKG. What do you think his numbers would look like?

I just can't say enough how much i'm impressed with Ross. The guy is just getting better and better every game. Forget about his shooting and his leaping ability but his D is off the charts. He has the potential to be a lockdown defender down the road.

This guy's potential just like JV is mouth watering. These two could be really good in a couple of years.

That's why i'm not a fan of "tanking" i really believe the Raps have some solid pieces to build around. Led by DeRozan, JV, Davis and Ross(all 23 and under). Hopefully Lowry would buy in and be a part of that group.

Problem right now is the inexperience and the lack of veteran leadership and of course Bargnani.
                    First, Im a huge Ross fan (getting a jersey shortly (and promptly disposing of my AB one)). I love this kid and think he should be getting way more minutes. Having said that a few points:

AA has been ridiculous the last couple of games .. its hard to argue with keeping him out there while hes playing like he is. HOWEVER, hes getting a Kobe complex quickly, so we need to keep a very, very close eye on him .. this could end badly, and T Ross should absolutely be taking those minutes in crunch time.

T Ross D has improved dramatically .. I think hes our best perimeter defender (maybe AA is close).

T Ross in the open court is absolutely sick (dare I say Vince-like?). Unlike DD (who isnt a BAD open court player), when T ross gets a few dribbles in the open court, you KNOW hes gonna dunk it. Doesnt matter hows in front of him or what the circumstance .. hes takin it hard. With more mins, this should lead to 4-6 easy points that Im not sure any other Raps will get.

Hes figuring out how to get to the hoop also (nice move with the shot clock dieing last night).

He not perfect .. still has games where he jacks up ill advised shots or cant seem to find the rim for the life of him. BUT - hes our best hope for the future at the wing (along with DD) - so he should be getting more mins and closing games out too. I like the point that another poster made that DD given ever finish games in his rookie year, whereas T Ross can and should.

Finally, small point .. but if you think the young core of DD, T ROss, JV, Ed looks good, wouldnt the best thing for that young core be to get a top three pick this year (as opposed to giving a 4-10 pick to OKC?). If you truly beleive ths core is good, then they wont be finishing anywhere near bottom 3 in 2014 so who cares if that draft is strong because we wont be drafting high? Everyone gets offended by the term "tank" .. but isnt that the right thing to do given we already have basically no chance at making the playoffs? The other offshoot is T ross gets more mins, maybe makes more mistakes, but learns this year and is better positioned next year (same for JV, who should be finishing all games).

Comment

How can players tank a full season? A couple of games if they suck at the end of the season, but they are professional basketball players who want to win, compete everyday. The only way to truly tank is to have a really shitty team which cannot win games because of lack of talent

Comment

Vykis wrote: View Post
                        How can players tank a full season? A couple of games if they suck at the end of the season, but they are professional basketball players who want to win, compete everyday. The only way to truly tank is to have a really shitty team which cannot win games because of lack of talent
                        Play all rookies 35min per game. They'll naturally lose a bunch of games due to lack of experience but they will develop and get confident much quicker.

Comment

omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
                          Play all rookies 35min per game. They'll naturally lose a bunch of games due to lack of experience but they will develop and get confident much quicker.

two schools of thought on that.

they lose a bunch of games and don't have the internal to drive to succeed cough *sacremento* cough

or they lose a bunch of games and it drives them to succeed cough *OKC* cough

no way to know which way a player will take it from our perspective.

You just have to hope the coach, gm, scouts, and team shrink know who they have
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

his defense has been so good he's been getting burn late in games even though his shooting has been average at best. and that's while playing for Casey, a dude who clearly has no desire playing rookies, much less when it matters.

that to me, is the thing you don't really get in stats and whatnot that shows how important he is to the team even now as a rookie.

he still needs to work on his shot and learn to pass the ball once in a while but i think his ceiling is much higher than Demar's. it wouldn't shock me if he's our starting SG with demar sliding to the SF at some point this year.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Ross is way farther along in his development than DD was when we drafted him. He's already a good shooter, has much better handles, and seems more confident. Athletically, he is much faster than Demar ever was but doesn't look like he'll ever have the size that DD has. I'm very excited about him moving forward, he could be a Ray Allen kind of player if he works hard on his shot. I think he's getting some good minutes though, he is still a rookie and you don't want him to hit the wall.
                              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Working...
                              X