Re-thinking the the Gay deal
At first my reaction (yesterday) was totally against this deal. I was in a rage. Now, that I had some time to actually think about, this deal starts to make a lot of sense. So hear me out:
First of all forget fantasies like trading Jose + Bargs for Gay and similar stuff. Ain't going to happen. But we MUST trade Calderon, otherwise next season we'll still be the same team we are right now, but minus Calderon! Who wants that? And forget the free agency, nothing interesting in the FA this coming summer, at least not for us (as if we could attract free agents anyway). And our pick goes to OKC...
We need a SF! The only SF with above average skill to be a FA this summer is Pierce, who'll likely be traded before the deadline next month, maybe over the next couple of days actually... But Pierce is of no interest for us - too old. The only other SF with above average talent level available for a trade is Gay. There is no other team, that will be willing to trade a borderline all-star SF for a package of Calderon and a Davis.
UNDERSTAND the following: nobody is really going after Calderon, only his expiring deal (dumping salary)!! The league is crowded with seriously talented PG's and those teams that are interested in Calderon are not the teams that can offer us something in return that would interest us! No realistic trades anyway!
So since we don't want to let Calderon's deal expire over the summer, we must use him in any way possible right NOW. The Gay deal is the ONLY deal available. Basically we are trading Ed Davis for Rudy Gay. In my eyes that is a good deal.
To sum up:
- Either we deal Calderon now or he walks in the summer and we get NOTHING in return!
- No team will give you back a better PG in return for Calderon + Davis (or Jose + Bargnani and not even Jose + DeRozan). So our PG will be Lowry for the foreseeable future.
- our biggest need is a good SF, but only Gay and Pierce are available. Forget about a good SF through free agency (Canada...)! This summer only Pierce will be available anyway.
- Ed Davis is not going to be an all-star, more like a good bench big and we're basically trading him straight up for Gay (borderline all-star SF). The alternative is we keep Davis and lose Jose over the summer.
- We are not bad enough to get a high pick over the next couple of years, so forget the Wiggins and similar dreams.
What we can do:
Get Gay for Calderon and Davis. Next, wait and see if Pau Gasol demands to be traded, attempt to offer Bargs + Kleiza (or Fields). If Gasol is not available, 2 plans of action can be followed: either before the trade deadline we can trade DeRozan for Millsap, maybe even Bargnani for Millsap if Jazz brass loses its mind for a day. Otherwise we wait till summer, amnesty Bargnani and attempt to sign Millsap through FA. If Jazz agreed to TRADE Millsap, the rest of the job would be easy for a GM. Lots of different things can be done after that...