Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Live Chat and Thanking

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Rookie brickwall281's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Live Chat and Thanking

    Hi, I'm new to the forum and I wanted to make a contribution, so if there are any skilled HTML coders here (not me) I want to suggest two things. I use another forum which is also on Tapatalk. It's a forum for football (soccer) team Bayern Munich (doubt any of you heard of them) and they have a couple of good things in their forum that I wanted to suggest here.


    1) Live chat - This is a thing where the admins can make a chat room and open it during games so that users can discuss the match on live chat. This could be pretty useful here.

    2) Thanking - This can be used when you read a post and really like or respect it and decide to show your appreciation towards the post you can "thank" it. People can have thanks given to them tallied up and put next to their name on posts. This will encourage useful posting.

    I hope this inspires someone, and I hope I have contributed well.
    Thanks for reading!

  2. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
  3. #2
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i agree with #2. at the very least, it simplifies the "+1"ing in threads

    #1 will go to hell.. somebody is going to flood it with boobies... and if it doesnt allow pictures, with the word "boobies" over and over again.

    and that somebody is me.

  4. Like Scraptor, LBF, isaacthompson liked this post
  5. #3
    Raptors Republic Rookie brickwall281's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't know much about this forum as I'm new but if you put a moderator on the chat they could kick out whoever says boobies (so basically you) and chatters would have a good time.

  6. #4
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    boobies

  7. #5
    Raptors Republic Rookie brickwall281's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Lol knew it

  8. #6
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We've run the chat on the main page before and it too hard to have someone moderate it all the time. So I don't forsee the chat coming back. Especially now that the game threads seem to be gaining interest here.

    The "thanking", let me look into that for you. Might be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

  9. #7
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote brickwall281 wrote: View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and I wanted to make a contribution, so if there are any skilled HTML coders here (not me) I want to suggest two things. I use another forum which is also on Tapatalk. It's a forum for football (soccer) team Bayern Munich (doubt any of you heard of them) and they have a couple of good things in their forum that I wanted to suggest here.


    1) Live chat - This is a thing where the admins can make a chat room and open it during games so that users can discuss the match on live chat. This could be pretty useful here.

    2) Thanking - This can be used when you read a post and really like or respect it and decide to show your appreciation towards the post you can "thank" it. People can have thanks given to them tallied up and put next to their name on posts. This will encourage useful posting.

    I hope this inspires someone, and I hope I have contributed well.
    Thanks for reading!
    I definitely like #2. Some threads can get pretty long thanks to the passion we poster have for our Raptors, but I get irked when every other message consists of nothing but "+1" etc... If we could have some sort of "thanking" or "liking" or "thumbs up/down" function, I think it would definitely eliminate the meaningless "+1" type posts and hopefully cause people to put a little more thought/substance into their messages.

  10. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I definitely like #2. Although, I would go on a stretch where you can either 'like' or 'dislike' a post. To be frank, not everyone is going to like what you say, so maybe use both?

    But, maybe just having the like button, and having to discuss your dislike is more reasonable, and more formal. It gives people reason to think "why am I wrong?" and the "disliker" will answer.

    I honestly liked the live chat, only because it was quick, and just as interactive, if not more (when the room was filled). I think we should bring it back, and I wouldn't mind having a sort of "schedule" between us mods being able to take care of the feed.

  11. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,109
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    i agree with #2. at the very least, it simplifies the "+1"ing in threads

    #1 will go to hell.. somebody is going to flood it with boobies... and if it doesnt allow pictures, with the word "boobies" over and over again.

    and that somebody is me.
    lol!

  12. #10
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I definitely like #2. Although, I would go on a stretch where you can either 'like' or 'dislike' a post. To be frank, not everyone is going to like what you say, so maybe use both?

    But, maybe just having the like button, and having to discuss your dislike is more reasonable, and more formal. It gives people reason to think "why am I wrong?" and the "disliker" will answer.

    I honestly liked the live chat, only because it was quick, and just as interactive, if not more (when the room was filled). I think we should bring it back, and I wouldn't mind having a sort of "schedule" between us mods being able to take care of the feed.
    I'd actually prefer just having a 'like' button. To me, it would replace the "+1" messages, which I assume to mean "I agree with everything you said and have nothing more to add, that's exactly what I was going to say but you beat me to it". Having a 'like' button would accomplish the same thing without adding useless posts to the thread.

    I think the 'like' button would also allow many of the RR users who browse the forums without posting to express themselves, by showing support for the message(s) they agree with. Seeing which messages get the most 'likes' would also act as a sort of straw-poll vote to help gauage the RR consenus.

    If you disagree with the post there is obviously a reason. If somebody wants to take the time to disagree, they should reply-with-quote and actually express their opposing point of view. A 'dislike' or 'thumbs down' adds nothing of value to the discussion and I find it becomes a stupid popularity contest with people giving a 'thumbs up' to themselves and 'thumbs down' to posters they dislike (have you ever read the comment section on TSN???).

  13. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I'd actually prefer just having a 'like' button. To me, it would replace the "+1" messages, which I assume to mean "I agree with everything you said and have nothing more to add, that's exactly what I was going to say but you beat me to it". Having a 'like' button would accomplish the same thing without adding useless posts to the thread.

    I think the 'like' button would also allow many of the RR users who browse the forums without posting to express themselves, by showing support for the message(s) they agree with. Seeing which messages get the most 'likes' would also act as a sort of straw-poll vote to help gauage the RR consenus.

    If you disagree with the post there is obviously a reason. If somebody wants to take the time to disagree, they should reply-with-quote and actually express their opposing point of view. A 'dislike' or 'thumbs down' adds nothing of value to the discussion and I find it becomes a stupid popularity contest with people giving a 'thumbs up' to themselves and 'thumbs down' to posters they dislike (have you ever read the comment section on TSN???).
    Yeah very true. I originally posted being skeptical about that, but yeah, disagree with reason.

  14. #12
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I'd actually prefer just having a 'like' button. To me, it would replace the "+1" messages, which I assume to mean "I agree with everything you said and have nothing more to add, that's exactly what I was going to say but you beat me to it". Having a 'like' button would accomplish the same thing without adding useless posts to the thread.

    I think the 'like' button would also allow many of the RR users who browse the forums without posting to express themselves, by showing support for the message(s) they agree with. Seeing which messages get the most 'likes' would also act as a sort of straw-poll vote to help gauage the RR consenus.

    If you disagree with the post there is obviously a reason. If somebody wants to take the time to disagree, they should reply-with-quote and actually express their opposing point of view. A 'dislike' or 'thumbs down' adds nothing of value to the discussion and I find it becomes a stupid popularity contest with people giving a 'thumbs up' to themselves and 'thumbs down' to posters they dislike (have you ever read the comment section on TSN???).
    +1

  15. #13
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,619
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote heinz57 wrote: View Post
    +1
    I "like" your post! lol

    Irony is a beautiful thing ;-)

  16. #14
    Super Moderator .40 Cal Flakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    T Dot
    Posts
    1,385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I'd actually prefer just having a 'like' button. To me, it would replace the "+1" messages, which I assume to mean "I agree with everything you said and have nothing more to add, that's exactly what I was going to say but you beat me to it". Having a 'like' button would accomplish the same thing without adding useless posts to the thread.

    I think the 'like' button would also allow many of the RR users who browse the forums without posting to express themselves, by showing support for the message(s) they agree with. Seeing which messages get the most 'likes' would also act as a sort of straw-poll vote to help gauage the RR consenus.

    If you disagree with the post there is obviously a reason. If somebody wants to take the time to disagree, they should reply-with-quote and actually express their opposing point of view. A 'dislike' or 'thumbs down' adds nothing of value to the discussion and I find it becomes a stupid popularity contest with people giving a 'thumbs up' to themselves and 'thumbs down' to posters they dislike (have you ever read the comment section on TSN???).
    **insert "thanks" button here** <<<< **clicks button**

  17. #15
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for the input. I'm working on both points. The live chat got lost in the redesign and will return in a couple days.

  18. Like brickwall281 liked this post
  19. #16
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote brickwall281 wrote: View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and I wanted to make a contribution, so if there are any skilled HTML coders here (not me) I want to suggest two things. I use another forum which is also on Tapatalk. It's a forum for football (soccer) team Bayern Munich (doubt any of you heard of them) and they have a couple of good things in their forum that I wanted to suggest here.


    1) Live chat - This is a thing where the admins can make a chat room and open it during games so that users can discuss the match on live chat. This could be pretty useful here.

    2) Thanking - This can be used when you read a post and really like or respect it and decide to show your appreciation towards the post you can "thank" it. People can have thanks given to them tallied up and put next to their name on posts. This will encourage useful posting.

    I hope this inspires someone, and I hope I have contributed well.
    Thanks for reading!
    As an Arsenal fan, I've heard of Bayern Munich all too well.

  20. #17
    Administrator Arsenalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Chat and Like button have been added. I'm with CalgaryRapsFan on this. No need to add "Dislike" as that became useless quite fast when it was introduced on the main blog a couple years ago. Thanks and Like are basically the same thing, so I just picked Like.

    Thanks again for the input.

  21. Like Joey, drizz, ReubenJRD liked this post
  22. #18
    Administrator Dr. James Naismith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Almonte
    Posts
    4,294
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Chat is again active over on the main blog guys and gals.

  23. #19
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I dislike this new "Like" thing, because it's adding an extra inch of unwanted space between posts. Is there any way to embed it as part of the existing post rather than having a separate box for it?
    your pal,
    ebrian

  24. Like Sig liked this post
  25. #20
    Raptors Republic Superstar heinz57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    I dislike this new "Like" thing, because it's adding an extra inch of unwanted space between posts. Is there any way to embed it as part of the existing post rather than having a separate box for it?
    i dont mind it... but at first glance, i kinda thought they were deleted and/or empty posts between other posts..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •