Live Chat and Thanking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Chat and Thanking

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I wanted to make a contribution, so if there are any skilled HTML coders here (not me) I want to suggest two things. I use another forum which is also on Tapatalk. It's a forum for football (soccer) team Bayern Munich (doubt any of you heard of them) and they have a couple of good things in their forum that I wanted to suggest here.

1) Live chat - This is a thing where the admins can make a chat room and open it during games so that users can discuss the match on live chat. This could be pretty useful here.

2) Thanking - This can be used when you read a post and really like or respect it and decide to show your appreciation towards the post you can "thank" it. People can have thanks given to them tallied up and put next to their name on posts. This will encourage useful posting.

I hope this inspires someone, and I hope I have contributed well.
    Thanks for reading!

i agree with #2. at the very least, it simplifies the "+1"ing in threads

#1 will go to hell.. somebody is going to flood it with boobies... and if it doesnt allow pictures, with the word "boobies" over and over again.

and that somebody is me.

Comment

I don't know much about this forum as I'm new but if you put a moderator on the chat they could kick out whoever says boobies (so basically you) and chatters would have a good time.

Comment

boobies

Comment

Lol knew it

Comment

We've run the chat on the main page before and it too hard to have someone moderate it all the time. So I don't forsee the chat coming back. Especially now that the game threads seem to be gaining interest here.

The "thanking", let me look into that for you. Might be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

brickwall281 wrote: View Post
              Hi, I'm new to the forum and I wanted to make a contribution, so if there are any skilled HTML coders here (not me) I want to suggest two things. I use another forum which is also on Tapatalk. It's a forum for football (soccer) team Bayern Munich (doubt any of you heard of them) and they have a couple of good things in their forum that I wanted to suggest here.

1) Live chat - This is a thing where the admins can make a chat room and open it during games so that users can discuss the match on live chat. This could be pretty useful here.

2) Thanking - This can be used when you read a post and really like or respect it and decide to show your appreciation towards the post you can "thank" it. People can have thanks given to them tallied up and put next to their name on posts. This will encourage useful posting.

I hope this inspires someone, and I hope I have contributed well.
              Thanks for reading!
              I definitely like #2. Some threads can get pretty long thanks to the passion we poster have for our Raptors, but I get irked when every other message consists of nothing but "+1" etc... If we could have some sort of "thanking" or "liking" or "thumbs up/down" function, I think it would definitely eliminate the meaningless "+1" type posts and hopefully cause people to put a little more thought/substance into their messages.

Comment

I definitely like #2. Although, I would go on a stretch where you can either 'like' or 'dislike' a post. To be frank, not everyone is going to like what you say, so maybe use both?

But, maybe just having the like button, and having to discuss your dislike is more reasonable, and more formal. It gives people reason to think "why am I wrong?" and the "disliker" will answer.

I honestly liked the live chat, only because it was quick, and just as interactive, if not more (when the room was filled). I think we should bring it back, and I wouldn't mind having a sort of "schedule" between us mods being able to take care of the feed.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                  i agree with #2. at the very least, it simplifies the "+1"ing in threads

#1 will go to hell.. somebody is going to flood it with boobies... and if it doesnt allow pictures, with the word "boobies" over and over again.

and that somebody is me.
                  lol!

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                    I definitely like #2. Although, I would go on a stretch where you can either 'like' or 'dislike' a post. To be frank, not everyone is going to like what you say, so maybe use both?

But, maybe just having the like button, and having to discuss your dislike is more reasonable, and more formal. It gives people reason to think "why am I wrong?" and the "disliker" will answer.

I honestly liked the live chat, only because it was quick, and just as interactive, if not more (when the room was filled). I think we should bring it back, and I wouldn't mind having a sort of "schedule" between us mods being able to take care of the feed.
                    I'd actually prefer just having a 'like' button. To me, it would replace the "+1" messages, which I assume to mean "I agree with everything you said and have nothing more to add, that's exactly what I was going to say but you beat me to it". Having a 'like' button would accomplish the same thing without adding useless posts to the thread.

I think the 'like' button would also allow many of the RR users who browse the forums without posting to express themselves, by showing support for the message(s) they agree with. Seeing which messages get the most 'likes' would also act as a sort of straw-poll vote to help gauage the RR consenus.

If you disagree with the post there is obviously a reason. If somebody wants to take the time to disagree, they should reply-with-quote and actually express their opposing point of view. A 'dislike' or 'thumbs down' adds nothing of value to the discussion and I find it becomes a stupid popularity contest with people giving a 'thumbs up' to themselves and 'thumbs down' to posters they dislike (have you ever read the comment section on TSN???).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      I'd actually prefer just having a 'like' button. To me, it would replace the "+1" messages, which I assume to mean "I agree with everything you said and have nothing more to add, that's exactly what I was going to say but you beat me to it". Having a 'like' button would accomplish the same thing without adding useless posts to the thread.

I think the 'like' button would also allow many of the RR users who browse the forums without posting to express themselves, by showing support for the message(s) they agree with. Seeing which messages get the most 'likes' would also act as a sort of straw-poll vote to help gauage the RR consenus.

If you disagree with the post there is obviously a reason. If somebody wants to take the time to disagree, they should reply-with-quote and actually express their opposing point of view. A 'dislike' or 'thumbs down' adds nothing of value to the discussion and I find it becomes a stupid popularity contest with people giving a 'thumbs up' to themselves and 'thumbs down' to posters they dislike (have you ever read the comment section on TSN???).
                      Yeah very true. I originally posted being skeptical about that, but yeah, disagree with reason.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

+1

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                          +1
                          I "like" your post! lol

Irony is a beautiful thing ;-)

Comment

**insert "thanks" button here** <<<< **clicks button**

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm working on both points. The live chat got lost in the redesign and will return in a couple days.

Comment

Working...
                              X