View Poll Results: Would you swap Ross for Davis in the Gay trade if possible?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

34 40.48%
  • No.

50 59.52%
Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Rudy Gay

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    As to the first bolded section, why can't you let him walk away? Because, we can't get another player of his talent level to sign here? I don't buy that argument, but some on this site do, but even if we accept that we can't get a replacement for him, does that mean we have to pay him a max contract? I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I assume that a max contract would be 100+x% of his current salary and probably puts us in the Joe Johnson salary range of 22 mill per season plus... Are you really okay with paying RUDY GAY 22+ million/season, basically paying him more than Lebron, or Durant? Really? I mean really, really?

As to the second bold, I agree, the raps have to over pay. But what is Rudy's value? Honestly, based on his play with Memphis and Toronto, I'd say he's worth 12 mill per season. I think that's absolutely fair. So I'm fine with overpaying 3 mill a season, but any deal over 15mil/season is going to be difficult to stomach, let alone paying Gay 22+ mill a season? That's overpaying by just about double and I am not okay with that. If a guy wants double of what he's worth, you have to let him go. Or let him try is luck elsewhere and then offer him a little bit more than what any other team is offering, and hope that the extra soothes his ego enough to justify signing with you even though you had the guts to NOT offer him what he thinks he's worth.

But I'm curious, what do you think is fair rate, and his market rate? For gay based on his production versus other people who are producing similar rates, I'd say a fair rate 12 mill/season, but his market rate is probably 14 mill. So I can stomach paying him 15, but if he wants more than that, I think you have to let him walk.
    Have the Raptors ever been able to attract a player of his calibre in free agency, ever? Chances are if the trade with Memphis never presented itself we'd still be sitting here with cap space but no talented player willing take it. Not trying to argue, but the franchise history is proof that this is true, so I'm in the opinion that lacking flexibility is no big deal if we have talented player(s) to show for it.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Have the Raptors ever been able to attract a player of his calibre in free agency, ever? Chances are if the trade with Memphis never presented itself we'd still be sitting here with cap space but no talented player willing take it. Not trying to argue, but the franchise history is proof that this is true, so I'm in the opinion that lacking flexibility is no big deal if we have talented player(s) to show for it.
    I tend to agree.

Cap flexibility doesn't mean much if you're not Miami, New York or LA.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    But in those cases it won't be 1 on 5 and the players that are already back on defense generally aren't in the best position to rebound. Say it's 2-3 or even 4: the attacking players will be in a much better place to rebound, there is more space between players where the ball can land and, because of their position facing the basket, the attacking players have an easier time getting to it.
    Makes sense in theory, but how often do we see rushed shots resulting in offensive rebounds? Based on my recollection, not very often at all.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Makes sense in theory, but how often do we see rushed shots resulting in offensive rebounds? Based on my recollection, not very often at all.
    I'd like some stats on it, just out of curiosity. I looked at the ORR at hoopdata just to get an indication; funny thing is that the top 4 teams in ORR are made up of three slow paced (good defensive) teams in Memphis (1), Indiana (3) and Chicago (4), while one of the teams with a fast pace is number two (Denver). In my recollection this happens quite often, but not as often with the Raptors (