Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: National Post: Raps troubles all too familiar

Post Thanks / Like

Default National Post: Raps troubles all too familiar

Bruce Arthur pretty much sums up my feelings on the 2012-2013 edition of the Raps.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...medium=twitter

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read. It's not often that Arthur writes about the Raps, but when he does, you can't help but nod in agreement.

you’re either selling wins or you’re selling hope
    I don't remember the last time this team was selling wins. That's sad.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Nice read.

Not much new or insightful, rather just a good summary of the franchise's state of affair and lack of long-term strategy (that is actually adhered to).

Where's the bar?

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Good read. It's not often that Arthur writes about the Raps, but when he does, you can't help but nod in agreement.

I don't remember the last time this team was selling wins. That's sad.
    They've never sold wins. I thought BC had finally learned the patience that path takes...until the Gay trade. It's a talent upgrade sure, and it's worked out better than I thought it would, but it still seems like questionable team building as this team still looks very far from making any kind of significant noise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    They've never sold wins. I thought BC had finally learned the patience that path takes...until the Gay trade. It's a talent upgrade sure, and it's worked out better than I thought it would, but it still seems like questionable team building as this team still looks very far from making any kind of significant noise.
    I would take it a few steps further and say, "until the Nash pursuit"...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

I would take it a few steps further and say, "until the Nash pursuit"...
    Yeah, fair enough. I guess I kind of forgot about that after the pursuit failed....although the Raptors will feel the effects with Fields' contract. Sigh...and I like Fields, always have and am happy he's a Raptor if you ignore the contract... but what the hell were you thinking BC, because you just can't ignore the contract?

Post Thanks / Like

hated this kind of article, point out how miserable our franchise has been....for what?.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote blz wrote: View Post
    hated this kind of article, point out how miserable our franchise has been....for what?.....
    Ignoring the past and the present reality of the franchise's situation doesn't make it go away. Rather than constantly giving everyone involved with this train wreck a pass or another spin at the wheel, perhaps its time to hold some people accountable and put in place an actual plan to move forward that is in the long term best interest of the organization rather than the short term interest of its management.

This organization (and the people running it) has gotten off way to easy for way too long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    Ignoring the past and the present reality of the franchise's situation doesn't make it go away. Rather than constantly giving everyone involved with this train wreck a pass or another spin at the wheel, perhaps its time to hold some people accountable and put in place an actual plan to move forward that is in the long term best interest of the organization rather than the short term interest of its management.

This organization (and the people running it) has gotten off way to easy for way too long.
    Who knows, maybe MLSE floated this story idea to begin sewing the seeds of public support for a forthcoming announcement of the team deciding on a new direction - ie: not picking up BC's option.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

rather too depressing for my taste as well. Is there any truth to the icy relationship between coach casey and BC? the raptors writers don't usually go there....

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good article, but what a bummer.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Post Thanks / Like

What exactly does the alternative do?

"Don't worry fans, there's always next year" has gotten us nowhere.

Post Thanks / Like

It's nice to have a voice (objective or not) speaking against the spin machine of Colangelo and co. That's, in fact, the whole point....so that fans will take a step back and look at the club rather than just drink the kool-aid (aka hope that BC is selling) and stay content

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Next year the raps have to be selling wins and hope. Two years from now they have to be selling wins.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce Arthur is awsome....

But I'm not sure that there was a point to this article.

If you look at our roster going in to next year, there is no reason why we wouldn't be making the playoffs, at around the 6th seed. It all just happened too late this year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    If you look at our roster going in to next year, there is no reason why we wouldn't be making the playoffs, at around the 6th seed. It all just happened too late this year
    I week ago, I would've agreed with you. But 5 straight losses (prior to the Phoenix game) has sucked away any faith I had in this roster going into next season. I think we're a long way from a .500 club, let alone the 6th seed.

There's enough individual talent, but I just don't see a cohesive team.

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good article and very much captures the Raps situation. People may not like the ominous read, but the fact is we are one of the worst teams in the league consistently and of all the teams that are at the bottom of the standings (Kings, Bobcats, Wizards, Cavs), I'd say our future is only better than the Kings. Bobcats have some nice young pieces and the flexibility to trade for more. Wizards have a dynamic young back-court. Cavs look poised to make a step with some significant young pieces. The Raps? Our future is tied to players not on rookie deals, or players who aren't really contributing yet (Ross & JV).

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What exactly does the alternative do?

"Don't worry fans, there's always next year" has gotten us nowhere.
    Well it's gotten us to another weak late lottery selection that, if we luck out, may end up in OKC anyway. That's... somewhere? haha
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I week ago, I would've agreed with you. But 5 straight losses (prior to the Phoenix game) has sucked away any faith I had in this roster going into next season. I think we're a long way from a .500 club, let alone the 6th seed.

There's enough individual talent, but I just don't see a cohesive team.
    While I tend to agree, it's a small sample size at the moment and a major part of this team going forward (at least perceived major part) is the role of 2 rookies. Lots of unknowns, but that doesn't mean it won't work. I truly think a different coach could bring out the best in this bunch. Need to run more and have more movement on O. Iso ball next year would guarantee missing the playoffs. It doesn't work now and won't work then.
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RobertArchibald wrote: View Post
    While I tend to agree, it's a small sample size at the moment and a major part of this team going forward (at least perceived major part) is the role of 2 rookies. Lots of unknowns, but that doesn't mean it won't work. I truly think a different coach could bring out the best in this bunch. Need to run more and have more movement on O. Iso ball next year would guarantee missing the playoffs. It doesn't work now and won't work then.
    Yup. Part of my reasoning is directly attributable to Casey being our coach.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information