Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Amir a top 15 power forward in the NBA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Amir a top 15 power forward in the NBA?

This seems like a stupid question at first: there is general agreement that Amir is best suited off the bench ofr us. When you look at what he brings on a nightly basis though, where do you rank him relative to the rest of the league?

The first thing to consider with Amir is the eye test. He is an excellent defender and is far and away the best big on the team from that perspective. He hustles on every play, is starting to have a rediculously good offensive game within 5' of the rim (seriously, some of the little layups and hooks he gets to fall are incredibly difficult), he can now hit open shots out to the three point line, he's got a sweet spin move that he's starting to use on drives, he CRASHES the glass, and most of all, he always seems enthused and has high energy. He is easily the best big on the roster and if we had a more skilled big at center (no offense to Jonas, but he's still pretty greeg) I don't think there is any way that Amir would not start every game. As it is having two guys with similar games in Jonas and Amir makes you want to get a more skilled PF to go with Jonas' hustle, but that should not reflect badly on Amir.

Some fun Stats:

-Amir is 10th overall in offensive Rating (ahead of Harden and up there with some of the best in the league)
    -He's 12th in total offensive rebounds (16th in %)
    -He's 7th in field goal %

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...3_leaders.html

Of course he's also first in personal fouls and not in the top 20 for defensive rebounding. So with all this in mind i put Amir:

14th

the list:
    Dirk
    Kevin Love
    Chris Bosh
    Kevin Garnett
    Lemarcus Aldridge
    Ibaka
    Blake Griffin
    David Lee
    Josh Smith
    Anthony Davis
    Zach Randolph
    Paul Millsap
    Kenneth Faried
    Amir Johnson

These our just my quick ranking based on nothing at all, just opinion. Some of these players could be centers (Bosh is listed as such) and I probably missed some people (not Pau Gasol though, he is too injured). Anyhow I'm sure this will get torn apart pretty fast but I thought if would be fun to discuss. Yay Amir Johnson!
    Last edited by hateslosing; Mon Mar 11, 2013, 06:31 PM. Reason: added citation
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Yes. I actually wrote a piece on Amir Johnson and being under appreciated. He is a top 15 power forward, but whatever position he is in right now at that list, he probably won't move up for awhile.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

You missed:

David West
      Carlos Boozer
      Ersan Ilyasova

Who I believe would start infront of Amir.

But I found an interesting article by Hollinger:
      http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holli.../_/position/pf

Here, he has Amir Johnson being the 13th best PF in the league. And whats more! Ed Davis is 15th!!
      Thats way ahead of Boozer, Gasol, and Bargnani
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
        You missed:

David West
        Carlos Boozer
        Ersan Ilyasova

Who I believe would start infront of Amir.

But I found an interesting article by Hollinger:
        http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holli.../_/position/pf

Here, he has Amir Johnson being the 13th best PF in the league. And whats more! Ed Davis is 15th!!
        Thats way ahead of Boozer, Gasol, and Bargnani
        Damn, I even had Boozer written down and forgot to add him to the list when I wrote the post. West and Ilyasova...yah I guess so, but I thinik it's up for debate. Ilyasova's a pretty awful rebounder and West is getting pretty old.... meh probably depends on personel.

Nice article, the more Hollinger makes predictions about the Raps the more I believe in him. 33 wins is looking pretty Nostradamus right now.
        "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Amirrrrrrrrrrrr johnsonnnnnnnnnn!

Comment

It's pretty crazy how well he does considering I don't think they run any plays for him and jerk around his minutes.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

We should run our offense through amir johnson and make him the franchise player then retire his jersey and laugh at vince carter

Comment

Amir is fundamentally solid. I consider him very smart and he always works hard, he also never seems to get hurt, no matter how many hits he takes! Just goes to show his conditioning and strength.

He never plays out of his game, and since he has adopted that jump shot (unbelievable!) we've been getting a handful of opposing announcers eating their words questioning his range.. Just goes to show how much he wants to improve.

His hook almost never misses, and he is strong enough to exploit every gap from the PnR. Thats what makes him have such a high percentage!

Who knows, maybe he isnt so bad as a starting PF.. We sort of need a complimentary efficient player to balance out the inefficiency of our backcourt. I could only see him getting better next season!
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

TBH I never used to like Amir I thought he was an overpaid freeloader that loved the city but splurged all his money on silly clothes and whatever the hell he thought looked sick instead of working on his game. This year he worked on his game so mad props to him.

Comment

Garnett
                    Al Jefferson
                    Stoudemire
                    Lee
                    Pau Gasol
                    Griffin
                    Boozer
                    Tristan Thompson
                    Monroe
                    West
                    Nowitzki
                    Hickson
                    Randolph
                    Anthony Davis
                    Duncan
                    Josh Smith
                    Bosh
                    Love
                    Ibaka
                    Aldridge
                    Millsap

So to answer your question, no. I love Amir, heart and soul of the team but he's not a top 15 PF in the NBA.

Note: On this list, i included players that plays C on their team but really is more of a PF than a C. I'm talking about guys like, Duncan, Garnett, Monroe, Jefferson, and Aldridge.
                    Last edited by The Great One; Mon Mar 11, 2013, 07:47 PM.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

Did you just rank Amir ahead of David West and Amare stoudemire?

I know you can maybe make an argument for this season that Amir is better in some areas but overall as a player I wouldn't put him in that company.

Amir does for the Raptors sort of what Taj Gibson has done for the Bulls the past few years. Very good force to have off the bench at the 4 position ideally.

Comment

Amir Johnson is a baller. The dude plays his ass off, my fav player on the raptors on and off the court.

Comment

^ hes my favourite raptor too
                          in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

Amir Johnson is seriously underrated as a player.

http://www.raptorscage.ca/toronto-ra...eart-and-soul/

Every body, every living organism requires an organ that keeps them going, and every living thing needs that one part in the body that releases this uncontrollable adrenaline that fuels you. When you’re talking about sports, it’s a player that puts forth 110%, and he’s there in the right place, at the right time, and when he’s out, or when he’s down, this team just doesn’t have enough to get over. Well, let’s look at the Raptors as one body, one living structure. A basketball team always needs that one player, that one leader, the one character that elevates their game, consistently, and does everything in their power to lead one’s team to victory.
                            His name: Amir Johnson.

Amir Johnson might be the most under appreciated player this Toronto fan base has had – ever. Let’s go back to when Amir originally joined the team, acquiring him in a trade with the Milwaukee Bucks before that mighty hyped 2009-2010 campaign. The following off-season, Amir was signed a 5 year, $34 million dollar extension, which lead to doubts, questions, and nonetheless, hate. “Amir is overpaid! He hasn’t done anything to earn that contract!” Well, we’ve given him time, and he has improved every single season, and hasn’t had the attention and recognition he deserves. This guy is a legitimate starting power forward, he’s earned – and now, worth – his contract, and a core piece of this team now, and the future.

Amir Johnson’s greatest traits are his defensive presence and relentless motor. He is what I would call a, “defensive anchor.” A big who protects the paint and your own basket, blocks shots, and lends a helping hand in closing possessions with rebounding. Amir is posting career averages, and his numbers have made a significant jump comparing this season, to his first season with the Toronto Raptors. Career high averages in rebounding (7.3), blocks (1.3), and steals (1.0), per 36 minutes. In this current season, Amir is 20th in the league in total blocks (81). He’s improved his grasp of the game, now having the full basketball IQ and smarts to keep himself on the court, those ticky tack fouls aren’t as apparent anymore, and he’s been able to keep himself on the court to contribute to his team’s success, averaging a career high in minutes played (27.9).
                            His defensive abilities are measured fairly well on statistics, but no stat can measure how big he’s been for this team on that end of the court. He puts his hard cap on, and plays hard until he’s knocked on his ‘you-know-what.’ Blocked shots, to taking the charge, to being in the right spot at the right time, is your everyday Amir Johnson. The downside to Amir’s relentless energy on defense is he averages nearly 5 fouls per 36 minutes, which is something he needs to continue to improve.

Offensively, that’s where people looked, and said he wasn’t worth his contract. At the time, he was quite the liability offensively. No post game, the jump-shot was slow – still is – and inconsistent. Really no abilities or strengths that he could rely on other than his athleticism to run up the court, and offensive rebounding.
                            He’s put in the time, and his offensive game has improved, and improved significantly. Looking at his advanced statistics, Amir is 10th in the league in offensive rating (117.7), behind the likes of Tyson Chandler, Chris Paul, LeBron James, and Kevin Durant. AJ is also 17th in True Shooting percentage (.600), 7th in field goal percentage (.569), and still improving his already great ability of offensive rebounding. 12th in the NBA in total offensive rebounds (184), and 16th in offensive rebounding percentage (12.1).
                            His career averages have also been impressive since his first season in Toronto. Jumping from (6.2) points, to (10.1). Averaging career highs in field goal makes and attempts at respectively (4.2) and (7.4). Amir has also added the consistent, capable jump shot, making nearly 58% from the 2 point area. It’s very pleasing to see the improvement in a player such as Amir, especially with his great character, and love for the city. Going from your regular NBA rotation player averages, to a near double-double a game, and speaking of double-doubles, Amir is leading the team with 12 this season, and always elevates his game in those pressure moments. Remember the Indiana game? Rudy wouldn’t have had a game winner, nonetheless we wouldn’t have had an opportunity to win that game if it wasn’t for his non-stop energy and effort. How about that tip in over Kendrick Perkins against the Oklahoma City Thunder? Maybe a couple free throws to ice the game matching up with the Boston Celtics?

Amir isn’t overpaid, he’s worth every single dime, penny, quarter, dollar he’s being paid in. He’s the heart and soul of this team, because his improvements, his support and representation of the team, has led to great performances and valiant efforts by the young man from Westchester high. He keeps this team together because he’s always there to help you on the defensive end. When you get beat, he’s right behind you to cover you up. He’s consistently around the court, picking up your missed shots, and following it up. Sliding, banging, jumping, scratching, clawing at every little moment to get the ball, and does it with his team in mind, and trying to get a win.
                            Everything he’s brought to this team is extremely underrated, and it’s time us Raptor fans start to recognize, and give credit for what he brings to the table day in, and day out. There’s no question he’s a legitimate starting power forward in this league, his numbers speak on behalf of him, and he brings an identity to this team. That identity, is a heart, and a soul. A character willing to put it all out there, whether he’s starting, or not, whether he’s getting plays called for him, or not. He’s a true professional. Amir, please keep doing what you do, and game will recognize game. The Toronto Raptors need your play, and there’s no doubt you will continue to elevate and improve with these given opportunities.

Photo credit to USA SPORTS Today, John E. Solowski
                            I really do believe Amir is a legitimate starting power forward in this league, he might not have the talent that some of the top dogs have, but he certainly brings forth the effort every single night.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

A lot of Amir praise here recently on the internets, heh, just you wait until he has one bad game.... then its back to flipping floppily like a fish for some. if you know what I mean ..
                              Last edited by Sig; Mon Mar 11, 2013, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X