We might really get/give up the fourth pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We might really get/give up the fourth pick

As abysmal as this season has gone, I thought we were chugging along with a pretty good lock at 9th and thus giving up a late lottery pick for Lowry. Warm and fuzzy all around. But as of today, Washington (3rd worst team in the league) has all of 2 (2!) more losses than us.
    Wether the team tries or not, another stroke of bad luck or bad play and we would be down there.
    So, is it worth being ok with that happening even though it brings the very real risk of giving up the 4th pick. Take a look at our schedule. If JV hadn't sidelined kyrie last night, we might be on the slipperiest slopes of the teams below us. It could happen.

Jclaw wrote: View Post
    As abysmal as this season has gone, I thought we were chugging along with a pretty good lock at 9th and thus giving up a late lottery pick for Lowry. Warm and fuzzy all around. But as of today, Washington (3rd worst team in the league) has all of 2 (2!) more losses than us.
    Wether the team tries or not, another stroke of bad luck or bad play and we would be down there.
    So, is it worth being ok with that happening even though it brings the very real risk of giving up the 4th pick. Take a look at our schedule. If JV hadn't sidelined kyrie last night, we might be on the slipperiest slopes of the teams below us. It could happen.
    Two thoughts:
    1) I don't care if this team falls playing the young guys more, and sitting Gay out (better get him rest now so he can start preparing for next season sooner, needs to get his body and his jumper right). I still wouldn't be too upset if we gave up the 4th pick in the draft, if it meant a decent shot a top 3 pick to either keep or dangle in a trade, possibly to help unload Bargnani for something of actual value, or even might make him amnesty-able.

2)That JV hit on IRving was great. It wasn't dirty, he was actually trying to get in position to cut him off. He just took the guy out though. This is one of those things Toronto hasn't really had since the Carter days, with big dudes like Willis, Oak and Davis. JV is a big, physical player, who when he hits guys, they will feel it, and remember it, and sometimes go down like Kyrie (how frustrating is this guy if you're a Cavs fan? could be injury-prone his whole career). It was a sight for sore eyes. I don't hate Kyrie or anything, but I want guys to be afraid to drive the ball because hitting JV will be like hitting a ton of bricks. That's the kind of lane intimidation I've missed.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
      The worse we finish, the better. If we finish fourth last that means we have a statistically good chance of ending up in the top three, which get's us our pick back this season. If we finish fourth and then win the fourth pick, meh, no biggie, at least we don't have to worry about having to trade the following years pick. Honestly, where we finish this year has zero relevance beyond building our guys' confidence. Unless we somehow make the playoffs.
      "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Id rather lose this year's pick than a futures so I'm all for it.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I don't care, because no matter where we end up, that player is going to OKC. Unless we somehow win a lottery pick, which could happen to any non-playoff team
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

As long as the pick ends up between 4-14, its all the same to the Raptors.

I know giving up pick #4 seems many times worse than giving up pick #13 or #14, but the pick is no longer owned by this team and therefore they no longer control over it or have any decisions to make with it.

Whether the Raps end up with #4 or #14 the its value to Toronto is 0 (or if one wants to get technical Kyle Lowry)

Comment

I'm not too worried about getting the 4th pick, especially since it will be going to the West. If anything it might be the last piece of evidence needed to help boot Bryan out of town.

I'd rather them keep the 2014 pick, but if Bryan still has a say, I can see him giving that away to a team this summer. It's not like Bargnani alone will bring back a big time upgrade. That 2014 pick I'm sure will be the asset most teams would covet.

Comment

Agreed with the rest. I'm not at all concerned about the 4th pick. I just want the pick gone so we can concentrate on the 2014 draft (and potentially use that pick in trades).

Comment

It is a possibility but the Raptors also have 5 more wins than Washington.

For the Raps to get the 4th pick they need to finish worst and not get in to the top 3

OR

finish 4th worst while the other bottom 3 teams are 1, 2, and 3.

While 6 or 7 could be a real possibility should things fall a part, 4th seems extremely unlikely considering Orlando and Charlotte.

Comment

I think it would be great if gave up the 4th pick and OKC drafts a stud, despite being a weak draft. For one, it would put a bit more pressure on Lowry to prove he's worth what we gave up & secondly, it would make BC or the next GM really have to consider the move carefully before giving up future 1st round picks.

Othewise, it's gone, so I don't really care.

Comment

If we win a top 3 pick, who should we pick? Or should we trade the pick?

We could go for nerlens Noel is he declares for the draft. Or we could go for the BPA, maybe even trade the pick. What do you guys think?

Comment

Can Nerlens Noel play PF i don't think so. I kinda wish we land Anthony Bennett or Marcus Smart then we might trade DeRozan + Bargs for a legit PF and have Smart be our SG of the future along with Ross comes off the bench. I really like Smarts' game, i think he can be better than both Beals and Waiters on the long run.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          We could go for nerlens Noel is he declares for the draft. Or we could go for the BPA, maybe even trade the pick. What do you guys think?
                          trade the pick for a 14's pick......even potential 10-14 is fine with me....

Comment

I don't know why it would matter how high of a pick we give to OKC. The only reason I want them to finish 9th is so we don't make the rich, richer. And because Westbrook pisses me off a little

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              BPA

From there hit the trade front to see what your assets can fetch you - including the pick.

McLemore and Shabazz are interesting and would mean one of Ross or DD are likely available.

I have no interest in Len or Zeller.... did you know Zeller is 7ft but only 6'8" wingspan? Yikes.

Noel is certainly intriguing but with the knee and JV you end up in another-like Drummond situation.

There are no real PF's at the top. I'd love to say Bennett but the fact he is Canadian is probably more of a reason.

Trading down would be interesting too. I love Trey Burke. Marcus Smart is intriguing too - Chad Ford is HIIIGH on him.

Comment

Working...
                              X