Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Article: NBA's "Most Problematic Contracts" - Bill Simmons w/ more Evidence Post #30

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Article: NBA's "Most Problematic Contracts" - Bill Simmons w/ more Evidence Post #30

Rudy Gay (Toronto Raptors): Three years, $53.7 million (third-year player option)
    Andrea Bargnani (Toronto Raptors): Three years, $32.2 million (third-year early-termination option)
    DeMar DeRozan (Toronto Raptors): Five years, $41.3 million
    Landry Fields (Toronto Raptors): Three years, $18.8 million

The acquisition of Gay is the most exaggerated example in the Raptorsí recent run of adding counterproductive contracts, but Gayís cap hit is only so painful because of all that came before it. Lucrative extensions for the Bryan Colangelo-drafted Bargnani and DeRozan form the basis of the Raptorsí cap problems, while two flubbed mid-level signings (Linas Kleiza and Fields) only serve to exacerbate the gloomy outlook. Add it all up and youíre looking at a team thatís over the projected cap line through 2015, may pay the luxury tax in 2014 and is far from a contender. We have yet to see what Colangelo might get in a potential deal centered on Bargnani, but even a financially beneficial deal would leave the Raptors in more or less the same place, with a potential new deal for Kyle Lowry looming in 2014.

Gayís contract alone would be tough for any team to handle, much less one so early in its team-building cycle. The Raptors didnít have all of their core pieces in place, and now theyíre left with that same, underwhelming foundation, a massive contract eating up much of their cap and hopes for the future pinned to Gay, DeRozan, raw big man Jonas Valanciunas and rookie wing Terrence Ross. There are worse places for a team to be, but that group ó and the Raptorsí cap reality ó donít bode well for Torontoís upward mobility.

http://nba.si.com/2013/03/06/worst-n...2_a6&eref=sihp

~~~~~~~~~~

Nothing really new for Raps fan, who have long moaned about the cap hits associated with Demar's extension, Fields and Bargnani in general, and the Gay deal was widely known as an over-pay since the day he signed the extension.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Amir's contract used to be in these lists. I think most Raptors fans now believe it's pretty reasonable for what he brings. I expect we're going to believe the same about DeRoazan's.

The other three, we'll see.

Post Thanks / Like

why is derozan in the list....still under his rookie contract.....i say we have the best contract in derozan seeing his development this year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote blz wrote: View Post
    why is derozan in the list....still under his rookie contract.....i say we have the best contract in derozan seeing his development this year
    His extension has been finalized, so it gets blended together with this last year remaining on his old contract. All those contracts listed above include the 2012-13 season and future seasons.

Post Thanks / Like

The article by SI.com is entitled "Most Problematic Contracts", not "Worst Value Contracts".
    I think theres a HUGE difference there.
    Last edited by Joey; Wed Mar 6th, 2013 at 07:04 PM.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

Post Thanks / Like

to put it into perspective

Amir was considered over payed by everyone in the sports media - now people won't shut up about what a steal he is at 6 million

DeMar was grossly overpaid according to every analyst in the league. As of right now he is playing up to the contract and will only get better. Two years out barring injury